PDA

View Full Version : Weather diversions

Paracab
20th Nov 2003, 13:28
I recently flew from MAN to STN on a Jetstream 41 and towards the end of the flight the Captain announced that due to poor weather (fog) at STN we could be diverting back to MAN.

My question is what happens if all UK airfields become fogged in during the flight ? Do we start looking into europe ?

As it was we got in at STN (just) but I can't help but wonder...

Jerricho
20th Nov 2003, 18:54
The unfortunate answer is yes. We have had American transatlantic operators into Heathrow pitch up when we are in "Low Visibility", and for whatever reason have only been CAT 1 ILS equipped when it has been CAT 3 conditions. They have gone round and round in the hold for ages waiting for an improvement, until they have had to divert due fuel considerations, had to divert "mainland" ways.

surely not
22nd Nov 2003, 05:47
I don't think a UK Jetstream 41 operator would have set off without some comfort that they had options in UK available where the weather was good, even if that was only back at the departure airport.

Paracab
27th Nov 2003, 08:53
Thanks for this guys, most helpful. The only thing I will say is that the morning service diverted back to MAN for the same reason (having reached STN).

Cheers, Paracab.