PDA

View Full Version : New No 5s?

Double Hush
20th Nov 2003, 12:42
After 20+ years of mess rugby, backfiring cannons and general beer throwing, my No 5s are in desperate need of replacement (and it is nothing to do with an expanding waistline!). Where does one get new No 5s from these days?

European Crash
20th Nov 2003, 14:09
Where do I get new No 5s from?

One's tailor, of course.

Snaiths are so-so; Gieves (the thieves) are very good and very expensive. Avoid Dewhirst the Master Butcher. Managed to turn a GBP 20 waiter's jacket into a puckered GBP 400 mess, with holes in the wrong places, wrong brevet etc etc.

Mr C Hinecap
20th Nov 2003, 14:45
From what I've seen, your Mess Kit sounds fresh and unsullied! Surely there are years more wear in it - you just have to rid yourself of shame and stand beside someone who is more shameless than yourself!

Crash - you shouldn't be such a tight ar$e in the first place!

European Crash
20th Nov 2003, 16:14
Top tip:

Become friends with someone who is roughly your size and then cajoul them into leaving the Service; in this way I managed to get a fine set of No 5s (white westcoat, silk lappets, vicious reeves) and a particularly grand top-coat, complete with a slot for a sword (which I also have!).

The RAF news has no 5s for sale from time to time.

Mr Chinecap - I suspect that you would not know many people your size outside of a Zoo!

wub
20th Nov 2003, 18:31
DH:

Depending on your size I might be able to help. PM me if interested

RubiC Cube
20th Nov 2003, 19:15
I also may be able to help, slightly old and smaller No5, but still in general use. Also a newish No1 (and bigger) as well as tropical kit!

reynoldsno1
21st Nov 2003, 02:54
ISTR there was a place in Newark that sold 2nd hand uniforms (mostly from those chopped at Sleaford Tech) - Grantham's?

BEagle
21st Nov 2003, 03:00
That was good old Ernie Bedford in Newark. Unfortunately he became a casualty of defence cuts as well; fewer students=fewer students chopped=fewer secondhand uniforms!

SirPercyWare-Armitag
21st Nov 2003, 04:51
Having become distinctly portly in my old age, I was forced to acquire a new set of Number 5s (either that or take up some running - pah!).
Next to the Clothing Stores at Cranwell is a civvie company (neither Dewhur$t$ or $naiths) selling surplus Number 5s for 150 guineas.
Worth a look

Double Hush
21st Nov 2003, 11:34
Thanks for the tips. Mr Bedford received a visist from me way back and is the only reason that the current Mess Dress has survived so long. Perhaps, rather like ones battered Barbour, I should wear my No5s with pride, although the tear in the rear will undoubtedly scare off some and result in the obligatory letter to the PMC!