PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL/Night/IMC in Florida? In 5 weeks?

low'n'fast
20th Nov 2003, 06:46
Hello,

I have 5 weeks from the begining of February next year to complete my JAA PPL with Night and IMC ratings. Can anyone with experience in FL at this time of the year suggest if it is achievable?

I intend to take the PPL ground exams before I leave the UK.

I also have 130 hours TT in gliders. Hopefully this will benefit!

Cheers.

18greens
20th Nov 2003, 20:08
Blimey you will be busy.

Fisrtly if you have a silver c have you looked at the possibilty of getting a course reduction. I dunno about Jar but under the old caa regs you could updgrade silver to PPL in about 25 hours instead of 45.

As for the rest you might do it if you are lucky. Florida isn't sunny all of the time and they do get some poor wx so you can't count onflying every day. Factor in the airrcraft going tech and a few booking messups and 5 weeks looks tight. May be better to get the PPL, do some consolidation and get the IMC when you return.

What did the school say about the timescales.

low'n'fast
20th Nov 2003, 20:43
There is a 10 hour maximum reduction based on using 10% of your P1 gliding hours. I know this is possible with JAA licences, but I am yet to get any feedback on this from the US.

The replies I have so far state 4 weeks PPL, 2 nights (for Night rating suprisingly!) and 8 days for IMC.

catherine
20th Nov 2003, 22:25
I completed my PPL in Florida within 3 weeks, I did some of the night rating within the 45 hours as I had time to use up after the skills test (this can be completed after 35 hours if I remember correctly, then you can make up the 45 hours consolidating your skills).

Would definitely complete all of the exams before you go- that was the best piece of advice I received!

Fraid I cannot advise on the IMC as I haven't started it yet.

Good luck with all the training:ok:

strafer
20th Nov 2003, 22:55
Is it achievable? Yes. Will you be knackered at the end? Yes.

I did my PPL (including all exams & most of night rating) in 3 weeks. If the course you're offered includes exams in the price, I'd be tempted to take them there. The weather in FLA in Feb should be pretty good (it's not hurricane season).

I'd perhaps suggest adding on a week in order to make it less rushed. If you finish early, you'll have a weeks holiday:ok:

Jinkster
20th Nov 2003, 23:57
I did 150hrs PPL, Night and Multi in 7 weeks (should have been 8 but was ill for a week). I was very tired at the end of it all.

Dont forget about the weather, I was in Florida and about 5 days in total were not flyable due to wind, fog and thunderstorms.

I would allow longer than 8 weeks to complete it all - I suppose its achievable expecially with glider experience.

good luck

Jinkster

BEagle
22nd Nov 2003, 18:26
"I did some of the night rating within the 45 hours as I had time to use up after the skills test (this can be completed after 35 hours if I remember correctly, then you can make up the 45 hours consolidating"

That is NOT permitted under JAR-FCL - you cannot 'use up time after the Skill Test'. You must have completed ALL training and experience requirements BEFORE taking the Skill Test; practically, if you've achieved all the requirements and have around 42:30 TT, then if the Skill Test takes at least 2:30 you will be OK. The Night Qualification (there is no 'Night Rating') may be taken during the basic PPL course.

You should receive up to 10 hours total credit for 10% of your gliding P1 time only. The Silver 'C' allowance died with JAR-FCL....

low'n'fast
22nd Nov 2003, 18:36
NAC have confirmed the 10% allowance of P1 gliding time.

Now comes the time to make a final decision on the FTO! Thanks to all who have replied, any other experiences in FL would be excellent.

Cheers.