PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to do your exams in the country u want to be based in?

sgarvey
20th Nov 2003, 02:49
I was on a flight the other day and went up to talk to the pilots for info on how they did their flying. The FO was new in the job. He is based in Ireland as I want to be since I'm from here. I had no idea however that i would need to my my ATPLs in ireland with the IAA. Is this true and is there anything else I need to do in Ireland? Thanks.

Steve

Send Clowns
20th Nov 2003, 03:21
You need to take your exams in the country in which you wish to take the flight courses and tests, and have your initial licence issue. Once it is issued it can be converted to a licence for any JAA-compliant state. The state of initial issue may be important ot some employers, but the system is not yet established enough to judge.

mrbungle
20th Nov 2003, 08:23
So basically,

If I was to do my ATPL groundschool with Bristol, I'd have to do the brush up and exams with them also ?

Rich.

Keygrip
20th Nov 2003, 11:02
Last I got from the CAA was that at PROFESSIONAL level you can do the written exams under one member state and the flying under another (and, indeed, the medical under another) PROVIDED all the relevant states had an agreement.

The only way to find out, is to ask any of the member states involved.

Whilst here, if anybody wants to do PRIVATE flying - then the exams and flying must all be done under one state (as National air law may be different).

Squak2002
20th Nov 2003, 16:58
I'm pretty confused now. I was under the impression that you must complete the ATPL Theory and the CPL in the ONE member state and the rest can be completed in different member states.

I think this is due to the fact that the ATPL and CPL are licence and the rest are ratings.

So let say you do the ATPL and CPL in the UK and return to Ireland to do the ME, IR and MCC.