PDA

View Full Version : Webspace Help!

MikeSamuel
19th Nov 2003, 23:50
My website has just been suspended by ISP as I didn't dial in for 30 days. For me to recover it it would cost money which I dont have! I don't need the data that was on there, but I do need a new webspace provider...

...Can anyone suggest a webspace provider where I can get some free Mb without nasty ads popping up?

Mike

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
20th Nov 2003, 00:14
Are you at a UK university ? Most provide students with the ability to create personal websites...

amanoffewwords
20th Nov 2003, 01:00
How much space are you looking for MikeS?

And do you have your own domain? Or would you be willing to get one?

I may be able to help...

amowf

MikeSamuel
20th Nov 2003, 03:21
I have webspace here at the Uni, but the site is for the flying group I belong to so I would like to host it separately.

I already have the domain, it's set up to redirect to the old webspace I was using but I will be changing that. Only need about 20Mb.

rickity
20th Nov 2003, 05:28
Try Brinkster.com its free , handles Asp and databases which is more than some ISPs. I have used it for some time and never had a problem that wasn't created by me.

Rick

MikeSamuel
20th Nov 2003, 06:07
Cheers Rick,

That looks pretty good - does it have pop up adverts though?

-Mike

amanoffewwords
20th Nov 2003, 06:12
MikeSamuel - I've Pmed you.

btw the specs for Brinkster says that own domains names are not permissible for their free accounts.

amofw

Rugz
20th Nov 2003, 16:35
One thing to note is that Brinkster have now added a righthand side advert bar to all pages on their free account.

Most annoying as it was a good place for small websites.

There are quite a few other good ones, but one in particular that I can't remember the name of. I'll check with a friend and get back to you.

Blacksheep
22nd Nov 2003, 12:57
Nothing comes free except a mother's love. I've tried a few free hosts but in the end you get what you pay for. Pay nothing and get ....?

The best solution is to pay, but only as little as possible. For just 20 megs there are plenty of ISPs providing reasonable web hosting and if it's for a group you can always get the other members to subscribe to the cost. Google works well at finding them...

Through difficulties to the cinema