PDA

View Full Version : Small Helicopter Safety Seminar

rotorcraig
19th Nov 2003, 04:03
Attended the CAA SRG's excellent "Small Helicopter Safety Seminar" at Farnborough today.

As per last year's posts, the highlight for most people was the AAIB hangar tour.

Many thanks to all that arranged and presented.

RC

VeeAny
19th Nov 2003, 04:41
I'll second that,

the aaib visit was particularly sobering, a big thanks to all involved in organising i would recommend this to anyone.

Well done boys

Cheers

V.

Jarvy
19th Nov 2003, 05:00
I,ll third that??
AAIB trip was very thought provoking!
Sorry about my phone in the afternoon I'm sure I switched it off.

rotorcraig
19th Nov 2003, 05:02
Ahhh ... the first PPRuNe'r that I'm able to retrospectively identify!!!

Maybe we need a "team ringtone" ... :ok:

RC

headsethair
19th Nov 2003, 06:34
So long as it's not the same as Jarvy's! What was that noise ?
I did find it slightly disturbing that one of the CAA bods consistently referred to AS350/355s as SA350/355s.......but a VERY worthwhile day. Just wish they did more of them in more places. (Mind you - the AAIB hangar is only available at Farnborough.)

My favourite off the cuff moment was in that hangar - we were looking at the wreck of a 22 crash. (Both on board survived.) The Inspector was reading from the witness report of the pilot : "He heard a noise from his left and felt a shudder..."

Quick as a flash a voice said "That was his wife."

Whirlygig
19th Nov 2003, 15:58
Headsethair

I think the full comment was ..." the pilot heard a whining noise from his left ..." even funnier and it was a quick response.

Don't the French refer to their helicopters as SAxxx? :) If that is your only complaint, then I would suggest the guys did very well in organizing the whole event.

Rotorcraig

I think I was sitting next to you ? :)

Jarvy

Yup, I think we all know who you are ;) but there cannot have been anybody in that room who has not done the same at some point or another, so nobody really minds !!

Well done to David Cockburn et al. Maybe see some of you at the regional GA safety seminars

Cheers

Whirlygig

idle stop
19th Nov 2003, 16:56
Genesis of Eurocopter (France) products:
SE (Sud Est Aviation) as in SE3130 (early Alouette 2 etc)
SA (Sud Aviation) as in SA341,SA330 etc etc.
AS (Aerospatiale) as in AS332,AS350 etc
EC (Eurocopter) as in EC120, EC155 etc.

Stand by for GC (GlobalCopter), or my favourite: WC.

Enough trivia.
I was sorry I couldn't get to this event:I have spent several days over the years being excellently hosted by AAIB and it is always a very good learning process. I do hope that the CAA and AAIB will be able to continue to give these briefings on an annual basis.

And finally,sorry for causing Jarvy's phone to ring!

(Edited for a stray apostrophe!)

rotorcraig
19th Nov 2003, 23:38
Whirlygig wrote:

I think I was sitting next to you ? :)
If I lost my pen rather a lot, that was me :ok:

RC

Whirlygig
19th Nov 2003, 23:45
RC

You mean that black & gold pen that you variosly dropped, sat on etc ???? ;)

Yup, that were me

Definite retrospective ident

Cheers

Whirly

:ok:

PS idle stop - thanks for that - I had wondered why some were SA and AS. Ta

headsethair
20th Nov 2003, 00:13
I've just re-read my post re "AS" & "SA" and, although I apear to have been right in saying they were wrong, I am a complete a*se.

I cannot believe that my intelligence has allowed me to sink to a level lower than full nylon anorak. It was a fantastic day.

I apologise to my dear departed parents for exposing the family to ridicule - anonymous as I may be.

221B
20th Nov 2003, 03:29
I agree - an excellent day!

Would be interesting to see what proportion of attendees were professional pilots, students, private owners or self fly hirers like myself.

Up & Away
21st Nov 2003, 03:31
AlthoughI did not attend myself (professional pilot) I know of two PPL /H's and one Student PPL /H (almost finished) who did.

All agreed a great day but had to suffer a long drive!!