PDA

View Full Version : Operations within Equatorial Guinea - Malabo

Ex NAV
19th Nov 2003, 00:15
:(
I have been approached to operate a Ground Handling operation in Malabo in Equatorial Guinea.
I am ex South African with experience in Central Africa (Gabon, Cameroon, Congo etc.) in mid-end '70's so am aware of the pitfalls.
Would anyone who has opertaed there recently please let me know what the conditions are like - living, working and operation (bribes etc.) before I make up my mind.
Believe on a massive growth spurt due oil but my experience in adjacent countries is probably still valid, if not worse.
Would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me prior to my decision.
Thanks your coop

Rgds

Pat

ManagedNav
19th Nov 2003, 14:07
Would this happen to be w/an operation that operates an HS-125/400?

I am trying to get some of the same answers due to a potential job offer as pilot for a 1 month contract....

sunkist
19th Nov 2003, 15:57
Gday Pat,
Check your email.
Regards, PJ:D

Jacobest
20th Nov 2003, 03:55
Hello Pat
I used to fly in Malabo for two years untill june 2003, so if you want some info contact me on [email protected]

cheers
Jaco

HeloTeacher
22nd Nov 2003, 13:35
I don't deal with much of it directly but I do know that our base manager wishes he could go back and work with the nice 'honest' Nigerians, honestly. This is a measure of what he is dealing with...

JJflyer
22nd Nov 2003, 16:51
Helo Teacher... You'd be surprised to find out that Malabo is actually a fairly big island and belongs to Equatorial Guinea and has fairly little in common with Nigeria. People are mainly Spanish or French speaking and quite friendly. Much better place then Lagos or any other armpit in Nigeria.

Farkie

zalt
22nd Nov 2003, 18:10
Ex Nav

There was a good TV report recently on developments there.

http://www.channel4.com/news/2003/11/week_3/18_guinea.html

Aksai Oiler
22nd Nov 2003, 19:20
I lived in Malabo for 2 years up until 2001. I can't say I had many problems (particuarly after spending the previous 5 years in Nigeria). Made a lot of friends and had a lot of fun with the Spanish community as well as the Guinean's. Malabo used to be a little short on Restaurant's and flights from Europe - but I believe things have changed now - particularly with direct flights to London, Madrid and Zurich.

They were at one stage building a new terminal, as the old one was basically a glorified hut - anyone know whether they ever finished it ?

As for the brother's across the Gulf of Guinea, there used to be a large Nigerian population in Malabo, maybe this is what HeloTeacher refers to.

Watch out for the Malaria - we had several people seriously hospitalised because they were daft enough not to take care with the Mozzie's.

:}

zalt
22nd Nov 2003, 19:58
There are reports by AFP of a coup attempt in late October. The government denied it all but confirm "an unusually heavy security presence around the airport, radio station and other strategic sites during and after the weekend of 25-26 October".

No suggestion that there is a connection, but an Air Force officer was found dead a week ago at Ela Nguema, apparently beaten to death.

HeloTeacher
26th Nov 2003, 13:13
OK, to clarify, I am in Malabo. The comment was that corruption here has gotten to the point that people were wishing they were back in Nigeria.

The new terminal is now operating and has all the chaos moved right over from the old one.

The restaurants were doing well until the operator of the Mesa Verde decided to blow himself and it up in a standoff with police. He used a gas explosion.
Lately, pickings are a little slim, and crowded.

The officer apparently was part of something that is rumoured to get worse before better.

Hope that helps.

Aksai Oiler
26th Nov 2003, 19:09
HeloTeacher

Woz the owner of Mesa Verde still Fauzi ? Or had he sold it on. I remember things go a bit crazy there and in Bahia at the weekend.

Also is Air Consul still flying or did they pack it in ? I met Edu who used to fly for them a few months ago in Madrid, I understand he's now flying for an Italian Company out of Bata.

Oiler

BadAndy
29th Nov 2003, 08:41
HeloTeacher,

Wasabi? Shoot me an email. I'm back in the States, again, and I left your email address (with eveyone else's...) in the sandbox. Drop me a line.

And, as for Jaco, don't believe a word he says about the place. We weren't sober enough of the time to remember what it was really like... :}

In all seriousness, Ex NAV, if you haven't got enough input about Malabo, feel free to shoot me an email, too. [email protected]. It was a fun place for a while...

Andy