PDA

View Full Version : Vlm Lpl-lcy?

mcdonnellluke
18th Nov 2003, 21:25
Hello
I have seen a rumour on another message bored that VLM have applied for and been succesful in getting slots at London City for a 6x daily LPL-LCY service with flights due to start at the beginning of the summer timetable, and an annoncement of the new route is due once the paperwork is signed-does anyone know more or can shed any truth on this? I hope its true as LPL has waited so long for a proper London link.
Luke

serko
18th Nov 2003, 22:19
Liverpool haven't announced the Air wales flights to Newcastle and Cardiff yet. Maybe they're wating to announce both together

WHBM
18th Nov 2003, 23:06
VLM actually operated the Liverpool to London City route some years ago, and gave up as being unprofitable. I wonder what might have changed since then. It would be a bit surprising for them to go back and try again.

serko
18th Nov 2003, 23:20
transport links from London City airport to the centre of London have been improved and work is currently underway on a dlr extension to the airport.

bigfatsweatysock
18th Nov 2003, 23:51
Belgian airline operating internal flights in the UK? Is this covered by Fifth Freedom rights or is it "full cabotage"?

Just wondering, been a while since I did the Air Law exams.

dundoniandean
19th Nov 2003, 04:36
They already operate MAN/LCY and have previously operated LCY/JER and there was a mention ages ago about HUY/JER, but I'm not sure if that ever actually operated or not.

LGW Vulture
19th Nov 2003, 04:53
Bigfatsweaty.....

Under EU de-regulation, any EU operator can operate anywhere within the EU. Full cabotage is thus allowed however, never seems to be a winner if your not native to that market!

Cheers LGW

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
19th Nov 2003, 16:30
Manchester to London City 9 flights a day, not a winner ?
very good loads I believe

Golf-India Bravo

brabazon
19th Nov 2003, 23:21
LGW Vulture

Mmm think you need to do a bit more research - how about Ryanair (Irish)operating UK domestic routes or even easyJet operating French domestic routes etc etc. The days of the ownership of an airline being an issue operating "foreign" routes in the EU have long gone by.

In trim
20th Nov 2003, 02:25
bigfatsweaty,

As mentioned above, under EU law this is not an issue. EZY is a good example.....a UK registered airline, with UK registered aircraft, who operate Paris - NCE (9x daily), AMS- BCN, etc.

chiglet
20th Nov 2003, 04:06
VLM
EGCC-EGLC "Best Load" 100%
"Worst Load" 35%
That's on 9x per day. As to EGGP/LPL Tried b4 and "FAILED". Why? prob no pax, but I could be wrong [for a change :rolleyes: ]
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Mouser
20th Nov 2003, 06:02
It FAILED years ago when Liverpool Airport was a backwater, things are now very different.

MD11FAN
22nd Nov 2003, 01:28
I am amazed that BA/BMI don't operate a service to LHR/LGW since alot of the passengers using the Manchester to London flights probably live just as near(or nearer) to Liverpool.

Golf Charlie Charlie
22nd Nov 2003, 01:38
Liverpool to London services have had a chequered history for 50 years, largely I think because the fares were so high by today's standards. British Midland had services in the 1980s, up to the mid-1990s (with DC-9s), but stopped them as the slots out of LHR could be used more profitably on European routes. VLM flew to LCY a few years back, but as noted above in this thread this was before the recent growth in LPL activity. EasyJet also flew to LTN for about a year a couple of years back but while profitable the aircraft and/or LTN capacity could be used better elsewhere. It's rarely if ever been a profitable route, going back to the likes of Eagle/British Eagle, Cambrian, BEA and Starways to LHR !

I hope something changes this time, be it VLM or easyJet or someone else, but I don't think we'll see British Airways or bmi on the route.

chiglet
22nd Nov 2003, 06:02
BAW, BMA, VLM have all "Operated" fom EGGP/LPL to EGLC/LCY and EGLL/LHR.
As i posted before, the "Inaugeral" BMA?BD flight had [about] 20 pax. That was the lord Mayor and Cronies.
VLM had a "Through" service to EHRD/RTM via LCY.....didn't do a lot though.....wonder why?
I wonder, is LPL---London even possible, given the 27 daily plus returns out of MAN/EGCC

chiglet
23rd Nov 2003, 01:22
HOT POOP!!:ok:
VLM to go 12x daily next year.....Unfortunately, it's MAN-LCY not LPL:{

Mouser
23rd Nov 2003, 02:44
Don't think so Chiglet.

justinabeavor
23rd Nov 2003, 05:08
Any idea if they will be recruiting more crew for this route? I was thinking of applying some time ago when Man got started but their web site asked for only type-rated guys.

Any info on pay and conditions etc? , got to be better than the dash 8 pay!

BANGHER
23rd Nov 2003, 17:35
Justina, They may well be looking for type rated but have to accept non type rated people!. According to my information morale amongst the crews is very low since the management changes in Antwerp, bordering on action being taken!

I would,nt be in too much of a hurry to jump ship, send me an email.

chiglet
24th Nov 2003, 00:46
Mouser,
Got it from my boss who got it from HIS boss

dwlpl
24th Nov 2003, 01:11
..... what is the 'word on the street' re Liverpool to London City then?