PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious E-mail attachments ??

Canada Goose
18th Nov 2003, 20:46
Has anybody else received a couple of e-mails over the last couple of days to their pprune account, titled as follows; MS Net Delivery Service - Announcement and also MS Technical Bulletin Latest Microsoft Critical Update .............

There were some .exi type files attached to the message.

My gut feeling is that they are viruses or some other form of computer pathogen !!??

Curious ??
:confused: :eek:

CG

BOAC
18th Nov 2003, 20:48
Have a look back on this forum, CG? There has been a lot about it. DO NOT TOUCH IT!

fobotcso
18th Nov 2003, 21:12
Absolutely Right, BOAC!

Microsoft never send out unsolicited bulletins to individuals. This is a perfect example of a proxy sending address being used by the spammer. The attachments will almost certainly contain viruses

If you're a registered chap like me, you can receive a host of Technical update bulletins etc including things called Technet Flashes (Not what you think Smithers :p ). But nothing from Microsoft that I have received in many years has included an attachment.

On the other hand if you're a risk taker, you could take a peep and see the result. But make sure you're off-line and stay off-line until your Anti Virus software sorts out the mess. You might have sent a couple of hundred contaminated e-mails otherwise.

YYZ
18th Nov 2003, 22:41
I too have had some and investigated via Microsoft

Microsoft NEVER sends attachments with E-mails

Therefore make your own judgement call, Get rid!!

For more info look at the Microsoft web site.

Canada Goose
19th Nov 2003, 03:04
Your collective feedback concurs with my suspisions, and I will thus delete immediately !! Not being a wizo, I won't even attempt to take a peep !!;)

Cheers,
CG