PDA

View Full Version : All In One Fax

homesick rae
18th Nov 2003, 19:43
Hello people, can anyone help me please?

Just bought a HP Officejet 4100 all in one Fax/ Printer/ Scanner/ Copier and I cannot get it to work!!

Put the instruction disc in and it does state that my Ram is low, which I know can be resolved.

My biggest problem is: I use a 3 way splitter to connect external modem, phone and fax, but nothing happens and i can't then connect to the net! so i have to use a 2 way and put the phone and Modem connections back in for a result there...thyen i cannot use the fax etc!

If i were to connect the phone at another jack in another room and put the fax/modem through the 2 way spilt would this suffice?

Also, I received a plug cord and phone line for fax to wall that's it! Now I can connect another phone line from fax to Tower so that i can fax online, if ican get the bloody thing working!

But how the hell is the printer meant to work? There is no connection from machine to tower for that!

Tower is Gateway 2000...

I am in USA if that makes a difference...

Any help would be appreciated as I am confused with this lot!! Pm me if you have to!

Front_Seat_Dreamer
19th Nov 2003, 00:48
I reckon TCS has it nailed

Printer manufacturers must think it is a great idea to supply their printers without any cables, I reckon 99% do not supply any form of cables which would cost them less than £1 you then have to pay the printer supplier approx £5 to use the bloody thing.

If you are having problems with the phone sockets try each device independently as this can help cure the problem, over here in the UK the limit is usually 3 devices on one connection (3 REN) but I find that usually you can plug in more.

Did you follow the big sheet that usually comes with HP machine saying 1 Insert disk 2 do this 3 etc etc etc, as I am sure it will have mentioned the usb cable.

homesick rae
19th Nov 2003, 04:15
TCS, yep you are 100% correct! Ta!

FSD, as a fellow jock, I feel ashamed...there was nothing on the sheet, but on the box it clearly states..."USB cable to be purchased seperately."

But I guess that's what happens when you're setting up your own stuff rather than have it all nicely in place!!

Cheers to the both of you!

HR

PPRuNe Towers
20th Nov 2003, 00:48
Re: Missing cables.

This week I bought a tablet PC - stop sniggering at the back there - it's purely for the aircraft we operate:uhoh: :uhoh:

Carefully donning maridolds I unwrapped the Fujitsu 3010 so as to leave my mac massaged mitts unsullied . Small but perfectly formed in that never quite right Wintel way. Optical drive is seperate with a non standard usb lead.

The usb lead is a bleedin' option!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :uhoh: :uhoh:

How do I get software on board? Can any of you point me to the drivers allowing thought transference? Damn the sodding lot of them - first against the wall when the revolution comes I say.

Yours downroute and depending on Fed Ex,

Rob

Front_Seat_Dreamer
20th Nov 2003, 02:45
PPrune Towers

One of the girls in my office buys USB leads in bulk for this purpose and they cost at last check 67p which makes me wonder why the hell they can't just throw one in the box. Dirty thieving gits.

PPRuNe Towers
20th Nov 2003, 03:16
Gets even better FSD - until 14 days ago the system came with a standard usb cable.

It's switched to a non standard fitting at one end and is now 'optional.' which nicely quashes the 67 pence route. A lot of mobile bills at international rates to discover that bit of info - hope it helps someone else along the way.

Regards
Rob