PDA

View Full Version : Hearing loss and Class 1 test

Airchart
18th Nov 2003, 08:38
I have a Class 1 medical and an "over the limit" hearing loss in one ear. I have had this hearing loss for the last 7 years. Luckily, during my extensive check up two years ago, and during the audiogram test, I pressed the button even when I couldn't hear anything and the results were pretty good. I was checked off as OK and don't have to have another audiogram test for another 3 years.

I am worried about my next audiogram hearing test.

What I want to know is the following...

If I turn up at my next medical exam with one of those tiny "in the ear" hearing aids....can I use it?

If I don't mention it...and nobody notices it, can I get into trouble for using it?

Can the testing equipment detect that I'm using it?

What sort of trouble can I get into for using the hearing aid?

Can the CAA take away my licence?

Should I or, should I not, use it at a medical exam for an airline position?

Thanks to anybody who can help.

Dufwer
18th Nov 2003, 19:05
Airchart, I presume from your post that you are not yet a professional pilot, which is just as well. To cheat your way through a medical shows a total lack of sincerity. If you know you have a medical condition that would invalidate your medical then your medical certificate is already invalid. This means you may not exercise the privileges of any licenses that require that medical certificate. While I wish you all the best with getting your medical renewed, it is up to you to take responsibility for the truthful nature of the results.

D

strafer
18th Nov 2003, 20:03
Airchart,

On my initial Class 1, I failed the audiogram but passed a retest 6 weeks later (without cheating I might add). The pass levels are relaxed following an initial exam as it's assumed that everyone's hearing will degrade to some extent with age. The good news is that even if you fail an audiogram in the future, you can apply for a 'real-life' test which I think involves an instructor sitting behind you in a sim and talking in a normal voice. So you'll have to be pretty Mutt & Jeff to fail that.

Re will they notice a hearing aid? I think the clang when they put the earscope thingy in your ear might just give it away.

aztruck
21st Nov 2003, 08:42
I worked with a skipper recently who had bi lateral digital hearing aids and had no problem retaining his class1. He told me that he had noise induced hearing loss, which, allied to the dreaded presbycusis(getting deafer as you get older) had rendered him unable to understand conversational voices.
On his own recognisance he installed the aids at a cost of about 3 grand, and happily sailed through his audiogram.
According to him, his AME called the CAA and they were happy with the use of the aids as an "enhancement to flight safety".
Seems jolly enlightened to me and I hope this is a true reflection of the state of play. Let's face it, people who need glasses are in the same boat and it has'nt disqualified them.
Perhaps someone could shed some light on the philosophy behind the regulations.

Airchart
21st Nov 2003, 16:26
DUFWER It is not really a case of cheating as I am not really a cheater. An although I don't work for an airline, I am a profesional pilot and depend on my licence for an income. It is evident that if I wasn't capable or up to standard I shoud not be flying. Well, that just isn't the case. I have a hearing loss of around 55 db in the 3000 range in one ear, but it doesn't cause me any trouble at the moment when I'm flying. In fact I notice it more on the ground in conversation with people. In the air, I just turn up a little the volume of my headset.

But, as I am sure you understand, I tend to look into the future and if a hearing aid is the solution and I can get through with that then fantastic!

As AZTRUCK says, if people with glasses are allowed to use them...why not people with hearing aids??

Flyin'Dutch'
21st Nov 2003, 16:42
Not sure what the CAA says about these losses and whether hearing aids are allowed but if you either look at their medical site on the web or ring them they will give you chapter and verse.

You can not cheat the hearing test.

The FAA allows people to use hearing aids or turn the volume of the avionics up to a level you can hear what needs to be heard.

HTH

And on another note, can we just be nice to each other. Few people bother getting a class 1 just to have it sitting on a mantle piece at home.

FD

engineoff
22nd Nov 2003, 02:50
Was aware in the UK a couple of years ago of a pilot who after failing the required audiogram (only by a small margin) , was asked to provide a letter from his operator stating that they were aware of the situation and happy for him to continue flying for them. That resolved the situation..
We currently have a captain albeit on a Canadian medical who must wear hearing aids for flight as per his medical conditions so it maybe is not such a major issue....

Sometimes defies belief though!

'Pre-landing check list please'

'Yes it was. Took me two hours to get home the other day'

RobNaylor
5th Dec 2003, 21:17
This is a worrying thing for me too.... I have my initial Class 1 in 2 weeks, and my hearing in both ears at 2 & 3 KHz is either borderline or just over the initial requirements (20dB & 35dB respectively).
Does anyone here have a happy story to tell about their initial Class 1? The results that I had were from a free test at a hearing aid company, performed in a quiet room (not soundproofed), and it was a pretty quick test.....