PDA

View Full Version : Crewing the LCC

Poto
18th Nov 2003, 08:33
I know this like flogging a dead horse but with the imminent announcement of the airbus type for Skimpy does anyone have updated rumour and scuttlebutt on the crewing option!:confused:

ur2
18th Nov 2003, 09:24
As we all know there are, lots and lots of current Ausy A320 Check, training and line pilots available now! and will work for whatever is on offer.
Were do you think they will get crew from, HELLO, have you all woken up yet ?

Mr Nightmare
18th Nov 2003, 11:49
ur2

On behalf of all professional pilots the world over, I thank you for your extraordinary insight and wisdom that mere mortals surely lack.

What would the world be like without your kind. I shudder to think!

loungelizard
18th Nov 2003, 13:15
Hey nightmare....... MMMMM, sounds like the truth is a little tooo hard to swallow eh. Sounds as though your another that keeps dreaming when saying " Skimpy's LCC will be driven by mainline pilots, no question about that" !!!!!! yeah right.

slice
18th Nov 2003, 13:19
Of course Skimpy will be crewed by mainline pilots - ANSETT mainline pilots

:}

balance
18th Nov 2003, 14:50
I think most current QF mainline pilots would much prefer to see the Ansett guys get a guernsey way before the Impulse guys. At least the AN guys understand their value.

Pete Conrad
18th Nov 2003, 15:00
Well said balance.But according to Impulse pilots, they know how to fly jets and be prostitutes at the SAME time!!Talk about multi tasking.

Skinny Dog
18th Nov 2003, 16:00
Are you guys genuine, rumour floating around here in the mother country
A$75k for type rated captains and A$50K for FO's
Or buy your own endorsement. You would all be prostitutes. :mad:

Poto
18th Nov 2003, 16:02
I started this new thread in the hope that only actual info about the crewing option would be posted. Not for emotionally charged d@ck measuring contests! :ugh:

Please, is it at all possible on this one that we keep our opinions on who should, who deserves and who doesn't deserve it to other mud slinging threads.:*

C'mon people lets keep 'em in our pants for this one

:ok:

Mr Nightmare
18th Nov 2003, 16:07
Loungelizard

Mate you are a shining example of someone who would if he could.

At least I am employed by QF and am enjoying the wages.

Flying longhaul and earning the kind of money that you will only ever dream about is satisfaction enough for me.

Captain Stoobing
18th Nov 2003, 16:45
At $122.000 per year for an A320 or 73-8 skipper it has got to be Impulse doing the crewing..............Not slagging the impulse guys off....just stating what I have been told. QF would be mad if they didn't take advantage of these low wages. I personally think my licence is worth a bit more but I am not in the position where I have to think about it.

Capt Stoobing.:{

HectorusRex
18th Nov 2003, 16:49
From Air Transport World:

Qantas to select A320/A321 for LCC in big win for Airbus
Dateline: Tuesday November 18, 2003

It appears that Airbus has won the order to supply Qantas's new low-cost carrier with its first aircraft and management will recommend that the board approve the selection of the 160/210-seat A320/A321.

However, the board is not scheduled to meet until next week, after which a formal announcement is expected to be made. The order for the A320 family first was flagged by this website two weeks ago (ATWOnline, Nov. 5).
Qantas currently operates 54 737s and has four more 737-800s on order. It holds options on additional 737s as well. However, its low-cost airline needs to be established on a greenfields basis and free of restrictive union contracts that have hampered Qantas's ability to compete with low-cost upstart Virgin Blue. Analysts suggest that selecting the A320--a new type to the Qantas fleet--will enable the LCC to start with fresh contracts separate from any established norms.

The two most difficult areas for the new airline are maintenance and pilots. Air New Zealand operates the A320 and, with its lower staff costs, is expected to win the contract for major overhauls of the Qantas A320s. There is former Ansett A320 engineering and pilot capability in Australia, but those staff will have to accept a very different employment structure to get jobs at the LCC, according to insiders. Former Impulse Airlines pilots now flying 717s under the QantasLink regional banner have stated that they will fly the A320s for the same pay scale.

The selection of the A320 gives Qantas a point of differentiation with Virgin Blue, which operates the 737, and the new LCC may try to emulate JetBlue with seatback videos for all passengers.--Geoffrey Thomas

Chocks Away
18th Nov 2003, 17:46
mmm :yuk:

Former Impulse Airlines pilots now flying 717s under the QantasLink regional banner have stated that they will fly the A320s for the same pay scale

:E :yuk: :mad: :yuk: :mad:

Sheep Guts
18th Nov 2003, 19:39
Hey Hector,

The selection of the A320 gives Qantas a point of differentiation with Virgin Blue, which operates the 737, and the new LCC may try to emulate JetBlue with seatback videos for all passengers.--Geoffrey Thomas

Its actually Satelitte TV(ie. Cable from the sky) they have on Jet Blue first of its kind introduce by David Neeleman JetBlues CEO. Mini LCD TV screens have bee around since Virgin Atlantic introduced them in 1990 on their NY London run.:ok:

Maybe the can emulate JetBlue with technology but can they, with Non Unionised employment and EBA in the workplace?

Sheep

loungelizard
18th Nov 2003, 19:47
Nightmare,

Flying longhaul and paying most of ya "BIG MONEY" in TAX.

HHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAA

donpizmeov
18th Nov 2003, 22:21
Come on Loungelizard...Play nice with the other kids!!!!
We need these guys to pay tax, to keep things going for our retirement back home!!!!
Great shame with what is happening to the industry in Oz. I remember seeing GD on business Sunday two years ago, saying that he saw future Oz aviation with all domestic flying done by contract pilots, and QF mainline doing longhaul only. Seems the little b@stard is trying hard to make it that way.
Think we need to add kick a bean counter day to the calendar. I think these are real cause of declining conditions, not the pilots who have no option but to work under them.
It will all be different when I become Ruler (If Arny can I must have a chance!!!). Unlimited free beer and huge bonuses for all flight deck. And accountants will have to join as cleaners, and wait for a vacancy for promotion, while having to do medicals every 6 months, and work 12hr shifts that change on a daily basis (all for below min wage of course).
Don

Pete Conrad
19th Nov 2003, 04:19
Morals, safety,standards,ability - QF, start thinking about this, plenty of AN guys with lots of hours on type both here in Oz and around Asia chafing at the bit to come home.

Also cost here, gotta be less to train an ex A320 driver than a person, and I use that term loosely, from Nopulse.

Heres a thought - why don't QF do what Air Asia and co do, advertise for type rated Airbus guys at DJ rates of pay. mmmm, experienced guys, no more lowering of pay and conditions, no pathetic prostitution.

QF, c'mon, think about this.

ur2
19th Nov 2003, 04:50
Nightmare,
You realy are the typical QF #anker.
I have been flying 744 longhaul for the last 5 years on good money.
It has to be the worst job in aviation, Long haulers life expectency, past retirement, not good.
Flying short haul domestic on less money was the best flying job I ever had.

thumpa
19th Nov 2003, 05:11
PEET

Another intelligent post. Now run along little man.

Pete Conrad
19th Nov 2003, 05:27
mmm - thumpa and intelligence in the one post?? theres an oxymoron.

C'mon, You can do better than that.

loungelizard
19th Nov 2003, 13:10
Hey Donpiz,

Excellent idea. We should actually head back home and start up an LCC together and get Nightmare to be our "longhaul" driver.!!!

Mr Nightmare
19th Nov 2003, 13:20
Loungelizard,

Your attempts at getting under my skin are farcical at best.

Whatever you may think (that is if you are capable of thinking) the fact remains I am a QF mainline pilot earning an amount that you will never see.

Sure you may call yourself an airline pilot but in my eyes you will always be second rate.

What you dont seem to comprehend is that money talks and bull**** walks.

To my mind you are the one burdened with the bull****!

Mork from Ork
19th Nov 2003, 13:30
Nightmare and others, it's a pity that with all the money you earn, you still cant seem to find contentment and feel the need to Big Note yourselves.

So What? You can fly a plane.

Cruis'in FL410
19th Nov 2003, 13:45
From looking through the Impulse pilots award, (can't find the STICKY post site connection anymore (Agent Mulder)????);

Base: $122,003 - (3rd year Capt, assuming LCC starts in May 2004)

Base salary based on 75 flying hours per calender month. Extra flying over this is based on Annual salary / 900 hours - $136 ph

Now, assuming LCC would want pilots working their butts off to approx;

(1) 950 hours per year (approx of 1000 or 900 hour expm??)
(2) works 10.6 months per year (6 week annual leave)

(3) 950 hours / 10.6 = 90 hours per month

Overtime equates to

(4) 90 - 75 = 15 hours
(5) 15 hours x $136 = $2,040 per month
$21,624 per year ($2,040 x 10.6)

Capt's annual salary - $143,628 ($122,004 + $21,624)
F/O's annual salary - $86,177 ($143,628 x 60%)

I based this on 950 hours per year assuming they can work to the 1000 hour exemption. This means they could work hard for more cash, or the 900 CAO 48.0 hour rule would obviously reduce this annual amount. Would this be a fair calc on the possible outcome?? (Basic calculations so I may have missed something)

As with many other LLC's the employee's share in the profits. Is this on the table for negotiation across the board? assuming this whole operation gets past operating for two years

Is it comparable to VB? Applications to who.....?

:confused:

nomorecatering
19th Nov 2003, 15:07
Some of you guys dont know or dont remember what its like to to be at the bottome of the food chain. Some of you guys are whinging about a measly $143,000 per year. God I'd like to be on that pittance. Thats precisely $123,000 more than I am on and I bet I work at least 1/3 more hrs per week than you do.

Mr Nightmare
19th Nov 2003, 15:19
Wrong Mork

According to all the pilots that will fly for substandard wages any body can fly a plane.

The difference is that not everybody will receive $200 000 a year for it.

This is not bragging its just a graphic demonstration of what pilots were able to achieve in years gone by.

Pitty on those that follow for their lot will be a miserable one indeed.

Trust me when I say that you will eventually find it hard to get a woody when you leave home for work.

One thing you can be sure of is that when I look back at my career I will sleep easy in the knowledge that I was never taken for a fool by a smartly dressed executive type.

How about you?

PS: To you and others that might feel the urge to reply, dont bother cause I wont be reading it.

Remember guys I am what you all want to be. Trouble is you have all missed the remuneration boat.

oldhasbeen
19th Nov 2003, 16:50
And that is precisely the reason I chose not to work at QF....................No offence and apologies to those guys and girls at QF with an ounce of class!!:)

Mork from Ork
20th Nov 2003, 05:08
Nightmare as expected, you totally missed the underlying meaning of my post, but continued to espouse your own self worth..........

HectorusRex
20th Nov 2003, 06:48
For Sheep Guts benefit my post was a direct quote from Air Transport World and the author was their reporter Geoffrey Thomas.:confused:

The_Cutest_of_Borg
20th Nov 2003, 08:39
Just when you think you may have gotten somewhere in stemming the tide against the stereotyped QF pilot... a nightmare happens..

...sigh...

Tape It Shut
20th Nov 2003, 09:31
Mr. Nightmare,

You could not describe longhaul flying as a lifestyle choice. The reality is you sell your life for $200K and live it in hotels and aluminium tubes. Some people place more importance on their family and their home life. These people work for less money and have a far better job. If they paid $500K for fixing sewers I would still fly aeroplanes at $100K.

I think you are the one that has sold himself short, as $200K is cheap for QF when buying your life.

Of course there are the people that love it, as it helps with the ego and they can have all the material positions they desire. Maybe your name is how you truly feel about your position.

loungelizard
21st Nov 2003, 17:29
Me thinks Nightmare should change his name to something like,

"Wet Dream in Technicolour" !!!!!

Australia2
21st Nov 2003, 21:12
Borg,

Well said, it certainly takes all types.