PDA

View Full Version : A walk through the NAS REFERENCE GUIDE.

bush pelican
17th Nov 2003, 18:58
There are at least 3 species of pilots out there.

Those that just cruise along at low level minding their own business having fun and the occasional scary 'aviation' experience, and generally staying away from anywhere the airspace is coloured or has the letter 'C' or 'R' in it. They never use the radio or transponder so hey, any new changes don't effect them!

The second group are those that take their flying seriously but are always on the edge as they don't really do enough hours. They have a few ratings, can point some pretty mean stuff at the sky, fly NVFR and PIFR, and bust the occasional cloud. They make plenty of radio calls and generally try to do the right thing but as we all know currency is everything. These blokes see themselves as semi-professionals and go where no man has gone before. They push their limits. These are the guys to educate. They don't know what can hurt them (& others), and they don't have the time to read and understand all the issues and then consolidate them in practise.

The third lot are the blokes flying for food. I actually think that this group will need to be the most careful and aware, and will carry most of the responsibility for safety under NAS. Its this group that are effectively being busted out of the cocoon, chucked out of the nest, being told to ****** off and look after themselves!

Its not just a matter of radio frequencies and boundaries. AirNoServices Aust said it perfectly. We now only have control frequencies so SHUT-UP. Those of you who can't, we will make it as hard as possible for you to find the correct frequencies and boundaries.

To demonstrate, take a walk through the 'reference guide'. For those asking about the instructor pack I have one and its the same written material plus a video & a couple of CD roms for a PowerPoint presentation just mimicking the guide, nothing new.

The guide amplifies the NAS education and training supplement, ' DETAILS OF STAGES OF REFORM' which says,
> " No longer an area frequency for VFR" < " A major change is that there is no longer an area frequency for VFR to monitor when enroute"

The guide pg 8 says, " VFR pilots should listen on a freq appropriate to the airspace within which they are operating." Throughout the guide, ( pg 8, 17, 22, 27, 30, 39, etc.) it mentions flightwatch, AERIS, AWIB, ATIS, enroute ATC, App terminal freq., CTAF, MBZ, Multicom, 121.5, 123.45 . Now I ask you, for enroute VFR what would be the appropriate frequency? It obviously is the frequency for the area that you are in, and which all aircraft in that area will be on, i.e. the enroute ATC (or area) frequency. Now that we are all happy with that, what do we make of the following statement? pg 8. " The important point is that when enroute .......... A pilot should give more emphasis to monitoring CTAF/MBZ Multicolm where collision risk is many times higher. Constantly monitoring an ATC frequency, where most of the calls may not be relevant, can lead to a false sense of security and reduce the effectiveness of alerted see and avoid where it really matters in the aerodrome area." WHAT A RED HERRING! Everyone with a radio is on the MBZ or CTAF freq. when in that airspace. This is already a legal requirement. The ATC freq. takes a back seat or is turned down or on standby. This type of argument is used throughout the guide where an example of something which is incorrect or not happening, is used to justify a change, ( to correct something which is not happening der der der!!!) Its about as stupid as saying it may be more appropriate to monitor 121.5 enroute. (You may be able to check your ELT works after the collision!) On that point, who would want to be frantically hunting for an enroute hard to find ATC freq. if they had a Mayday situation enroute? See and be seen basically doesn't work enroute in any but the best (read good luck) situations, and situational awareness through every means possible including radio is essential.

The guide pg 8 goes on to say, " The other important change is that a pilot of a VFR flight should not make broadcasts on ATC frequencies. All calls should be directed to ATC or flightwatch" ( This is the same for IFR pilots, pg 42 ) So if my situational awareness tells me I am probably going to conflict with xyz am I to contact ATC and get them to co-ordinate safe separation procedures? Or as the guide says, ask control to ask xyz to change to 123.45 and have a natter with me? This will create a nightmare for ATC as shown by the demonstrated procedure of the VFR flight requesting traffic information inbound to Armidale on pg 21. Instead of pilot to pilot it will always be via ATC. VFR pilots will soon be on a first name basis with ATC! I can also see 3 radio monitoring frequencies coming up, enroute ATC, 123.45, and MBZs. Great system! The ridiculousness of this situation is obvious from the following statements throughout the guide. pg 17. " Be aware that there may be aircraft in your vicinity not listening or transmitting on the radio, because they have selected another frequency." pg 39. " Pilots of IFR flights should not expect a pilot of a VFR flight to be monitoring an ATC frequency at any given time...." The situation with the IFR pickup and VFR (IFR) on top makes this plan seem even more stupid. pg 42. " These procedures are undertaken in controlled airspace (Class E) and pilots must not use the ATC freq. to exchange additional pilot to pilot information." Hey, in these procedures there is no separation for the pickup bit and when on top or VFR (IFR) enroute, and you are cruising at VFR levels. Woopee! The 'real' VFR pilot may not (and is not required to be) even be on the same frequency! I'll have another glass of carrot juice please! AirNoServices Aust got it right.... those VFR dudes just want to yap on the radio and the only way to fix them is to remove the frequencies and silly boundaries cause they 'clutter' the charts! pg 44. "The previous system relied on a fixed boundary for freq. change that did not necessarily reflect actual coverage, which can vary with local conditions." pg 8. "This reduces clutter and is consistent with a much greater emphasis on monitoring a range of frequencies including those used by by arriving and departing traffic at airports." Hell, what can I say? This is absolute crap. Its suggesting that people are ignoring CTAF & MBZ frequencies which is not the case. These changes will not improve anything. It is in fact going to ensure VFR pilots are more confused and more likely to select an inappropriate enroute frequency. We have gone from a bit of uncertainty re area boundaries to total uncertainty on area boundaries AND frequencies. xyz on 121.2, "BN Center xyz invisible blob, Nanango 30, 7500 inbound to Kilcoy for nav aid work, any traffic? xyz BN Center, you're on the wrong frequency, monitor BN Center 129.0. On the matter of clutter, I always wanted to know where ATC was transmitting from; Kalamunda, Mt Macedon, Mt William, Mt Tassie, Turkey Hill ( I think I know where that is! ), Mt Glorious, etc. etc. Might try one of those interesting places for my next hols!

The NAS concept of VFR Airmanship as espoused on pg 30 & 31 is flawed and creates a second class airman, the VFR pilot.
pg. 24. VFR airmanship. " Avoiding high traffic areas and instrument approaches, Avoiding holding patterns." pg 30. " Avoid as far as you can, tracking via aerodromes, navaids, instrument approaches and holding patterns." pg 21. " This possible conflict in the Armidale circuit raises a point all VFR pilots should consider in their flight planning when there is a chance RPT or IFR traffic will be operating in the same airspace." Pity about that- the VFR pilot may not be monitoring the same frequency. pg 39. "Pilots of IFR flights should not expect the pilot of a VFR flight to be monitoring an ATC frequency at any given time." In fact, he is positively encouraged by the new radio procedures not to be due to the removal of the correct frequency and boundaries and the shut up policy. I would like to ask the NAS team, do they really think, and should VFR pilots be obliged to look-up and find all the IFR procedures that could effect their flight, and avoid aerodromes and nav aids? No they should not, nor more to the point will they. I would strongly advise IFR pilots in VMC to stick them eyeballs to the windscreen and LOOK-OUT. Pilots are taught to navigate via airports and towns, and later with reference to the NDB & VOR. GPS is programmed similarly. It is a totally unreasonable request to ask VFR pilots to navigate otherwise and I do not consider this procedure as exhibiting bad airmanship by the VFR pilot. How about classifying IFR procedures in VMC conditions as bad airmanship? The overlay on the WAC pg 31. shows how ridiculous this concept is and the imposition it would be to VFR pilots all over the country. I note that holding patterns at MT McQuiod, Bindook and MONDO in Class E are supposed to have warnings for VFR pilots of these holding patterns.( pg 31) I have not been able to find these warnings on any of the new charts except the Sydney VTC for Mt McQuiod. They should at least be noted on the ERC LO for the area. The whole concept as I said is flawed and introduces a completely new and impractical element for VFR pilots. I believe it will be ignored because it is both unfair and impractical.

In the instructors pack there is a video of Mike Smith doing a flight in a PA31 through inland NSW. The flight goes beautifully and Mike even does some good landings! Nothing goes wrong, nobody talks much and we all live happily ever-after. However in the real world ignorance is not bliss. In real life how many aircraft could Mike be totally unaware of and vice versa because of no common VFR area frequency? I note that like some other misconceptions of operational realities and practises in the guide, Mr Smith says on landing at Albury, " When landing and taking off we recommend you have your lights on, this will give you a strong visual presence." Shucks, thanks Mike!

I think that one of the unforseen outcomes of the NAS could be the possibility of disenfranchising VFR pilots from the system. Will this be considered a systemic 'error of management' if a serious mid air collision occurs?

I hope that all elements of ATC are prepared, willing AND happy to handle the problems that will beset the VFR pilot under NAS and accommodate the increasing no of 'pop-ups' that will occur wanting traffic and clearances etc.

And all you RPT and IFR boys and girls. Please show patience and tolerance to all the bottom dwellers trying to fly in the system as best they can, remember they did,nt ask for it either.

GOODLUCK, and thank God for that BIG BLUE SKY!

4dogs
17th Nov 2003, 19:26
bush pelican,

I generally agree with what you write with one strong exception - the NAS system is deliberately intended to disenfranchise the VFR pilot form the system.

It has been the aim of every RHS airspace initiative to ensure that he and his like-minded pilots are able to go wherever they like without any rules or procedures to otherwise interrupt their right to enjoy flying without interuption.

What is really interesting is the fact that the CEO of AirServices Australia (an organisation now clearly established as a classic oxymoron!) admitted at Safeskies that there will be no savings and a net cost to introduce NAS - part of the continuing saga of the user paying for continual increases in risk for no benefit to commercial operations.

and I really do mean Stay Alive!

4dogs

Menen
17th Nov 2003, 19:49
Re GA radio chatter. I notice the latest AOPA magazine has a NAS step-by-step guide to radio procedures at CTAF aerodromes. Includes recommendations to broadcast among other things, when you have cleared the runway after landing. While the article is written in good faith, it is all these little "extra" transmissions which are considered a "good thing" by some, that lead to cluttering of the radio frequencies.

bush pelican
18th Nov 2003, 11:18
4 Dogs

I never considered there was any deliberate intent to disenfranchise VFR pilots. Hope that's NOT so. Seems to me the idea is that the NAS system will remove the 'problem' of ATC having to deal with VFR thereby streamlining the system and freeing up resources for paying customers. I see a different senario which won't met anyones objectives and we'll all have to go through it AGAIN!

bush pelican

ferris
18th Nov 2003, 11:33
NAS is about removal of DTI (see other NAS threads). NAS does indeed intend to disenfranchise VFR pilots from the system. It's a whole philosophical shift away from FS, radio alerted see and avoid etc. (it's not so much that the ATCs don't want to have to talk to VFRs, it's a matter of if VFRs are talking to ATC, they need a lot more ATCs than what they would like).

Money, gents, it's all about money. If it was about safety, don't you think they would wait until ADS-B was available, then fit it free?

Bush Pelican- not cynical about airspace reform, are you?;)

Perpetual_Hold_File
18th Nov 2003, 11:52
Well written bush pelican.

As has been said before, the real reason that frequencies seem congested now is due to the massive amalgamation of areas. The massive grouping of frequencies tied into each other enabling you to hear irrelevant traffic literally hundreds of miles away is why there is so much perceived radio chatter.

The solution it seems now is to discourage pilots form using the radio at all by hiding frequencies and emphasizing a dangerous, misguided and unworkable concept known as “see and avoid”.

The educational material also makes it seem like transponders are the solution to traffic conflict, and as long as you have it switched on there won’t be a problem.

This new airspace system is taking us back to the dark ages.

The utterly ludicrous idea of having aircraft sharing the same piece of sky on different frequencies relying on the ability of a person to see another aircraft on a collision course seems to be totally lost on those promoting it.

saltheart
18th Nov 2003, 12:23
I can not speak for all of my fellow controllers but the general feeling of 99% of them would be that NAS has no place in Australia and they consider it a downgrading of service, not an increase in service or safety.
It is the Minister for Aviation, Mr Anderson who has charged Dick Smith and the NAS Implementation Group with Airspace reform only because Dick Smith threatened to run against him in the next election if he didn't have his way with airspace reform.

Personally,I find it embrassing that I have access to millions of dollars worth of Radar and Radio equipment in front of me and I am hamstrung by not being able to use it to its full potential.

Apart from a lot of other more important things, the money spent on NAS could have been spent on more radar for Country Australia or ADSB sites.
NAS stage 2b (27/11/03) is the thin edge of the wedge. If it gets up then it will be a sad day for OZ aviation.

Skin-Friction
18th Nov 2003, 19:03
Bush Pelican et al

Don't you love the way that this Mike Smith is filmed flying the Navajo with his eyes 100% out of the cockpit showing what a good vegemite he is by keeping a good lookout.

I fly these machines commercially and I can say that there is no way you can fly one single pilot with this 100% eyes out the window technique. His demonstration would make me laugh if this issue wasn't so frigging serious and there weren't lives at stake.

Between aircraft and engine monitoring, approach briefings, company paperwork and in flight fuel and other calculations, particularly on short sectors, I defy anyone to fly a chieftain the way this goose is carrying on.

No radio frequencies on the new charts!!!

On the CD under the heading "Why we need the NAS" Mike Smiths reason appears to be " Australia has long been in need of airspace reform" - IS IT???

Also on the CD "Next June we're going to lose our MBZs"

As I keep saying - why the hell would you want to get rid of MBZs that have been promulgated for very good reason.

Someone is going to have a nasty accident over these unnecessary airspace changes. Should this be the case, in the light of the heavy opposition to them and absolutely no justification for them, then I feel the people responsible for these changes, including the two Smiths, should be brought to trial.

Is anyone in agreeance with this concept?

tobzalp
18th Nov 2003, 19:21
Bush Pelican

Like I said in the now locked thread, this system is made for the VFR pilots. It is what you want. Dick Smith and the AOPA gang said so. It looks like AOPA (or one particular board member) are starting to realise the pup they have been sold.

ATC are against it
ATC associations world wide are against it
Pilot Associations are against it
regional Governments are against it
State Governments are against it
AOPA are swinging i hope to realise that their support is mislaid

The only person for it is Dick Smith and from what I understand this is all because he agreed not to run for or support a candidate in a certain seat in a certain election recently. I myself am disgusted at such a deal and he should be as well.

tubby one
19th Nov 2003, 13:51
if this Americano system is so great - why are the powers that be in North America pouring money into upgrading the the ADS network in Alaska and nrothern Canada????:ouch:

snarek
20th Nov 2003, 00:12
Well if you do, I'm sunning it in Forteleza, Brazil. About as far from NAS and UnCivilAir as I can get. :}

That said, I have lobbied for the freqs to be put back on the maps. It was put to a vote of the AOPA Board and the MAJORITY accepted the maps as is. I accept the majority opinion. Any member who doesn't like it should get the e-mail addresses off the web and e-mail the entire board with their opinion backed up with their name and member number.

That don't mean I will stop lobbying, cos I wasn't at that meeting and my vote was by proxy. Like I have said time and time again, we will fly the system and make comment as necessary.

As for the next bit of NAS. I have some PERSONAL concerns about A thru E over C and some of the statistical arguments put up to support it. Having spent a full time equivalent of 10 years at uni, I speak statistic, and I PERSONALLY don't feel comfortable with some of the assumptions used (like random traffic paths).

I DO like E. I DONT like being fuc<ed about in CBR airspace just cos there is a Dash-8 somewhere in a clear blue sky. I don't mind being d!cked (no pun intended) around where there is real twaffic out there (like Cairns). I do want to know when some radio challenged meathead is going to throw human beings at me over Mission Beach!! There is a compromise there somewhere, perhaps NAS (with frequencies on maps) is it.

As a simple 'sometimes IFR' pilot I have been paying a lot of attention to 2b. I PERSONALLY ain't 100% happy with the maps, but I also ain't happy that totally unnecessary MBZs stayed longer than needed. (More abuse of 'statistics' by airport revenue raisers).

Now I suppose I will have to pay more attention to the rest-of-NAS.

So tozzy me old mate, we shall see and, no doubt, we shall move on to arguing about NAS-Next.

AK :}