PDA

View Full Version : Jar Atpl

nlanders
17th Nov 2003, 08:05
I am a 10,000+ hour FAA ATP with most time in business jets. I am looking for advice for the best way to obtain the JAR ATPL. The distance learning courses are appealing, but what are requirements for actual airplane training. Is it possible to complete the theory exams, then do a sim check at a FlightSafety or Boeing training Center with a JAR designee? Any help or comments are appreciated.

dorosenco
18th Nov 2003, 01:16
nlanders,

First thing, get these ATPLs out of the way. Next, your flight training needs to go through a JAA approved FTO, you will need 2 F170A forms in order to take your flight tests. Also, the IR requires a minimum of 15 hrs flight training and the flight test MUST be in european airspace. I'm sure that Flight Safety has some european based offices that are JAA approved. So far, they are not in the UK-CAA list of approved FTOs for IR.

It is different from FAA where you don't need anything to take your ATP flight test, just an airplane and an examiner.

Do you have any PIC experience in more than 30 tonnes MTOW airplanes ?

There is a way of getting eveything done (including type rating) if you have more than 500hrs multi-crew and more than 500 hrs on type (I think you do !). You need to rent the aircraft for your flight test and do everything in the same time : ATP+Type Rating. Important !: the aircraft you pick MUST require 2 crew by JAA regulations.

Good luck ...

nlanders
18th Nov 2003, 06:45
Thanks for the reply! I do have more than 500 command hours in aircraft over 30 tons...the GV and the 737-700/800. I plan to order the ATPL manuals from Jeppesen. Again, many thanks.

dorosenco
18th Nov 2003, 09:48
nlanders,

If you have B737 experience as PIC there is even a shorter way :
- over 3,000 hrs in airplanes > 30 tons MTOW
- over 1,500 hrs as PIC in these airplanes

You can ask the CAA for a tailored JAA conversion program. There is an application form on the CAA website www.caa.co.uk.
Only glitch,
Your conversion will not be a full JAA ATPL, it will only be a UK ATPL which means that you can only fly G-registered aircrafts.

:D