PDA

View Full Version : Another chopper writes....

Stalin [Man of Steel]
17th Nov 2003, 03:07
Hello all,
Recently I have been chopped from RAF flying training, whilst this was a massive dissappointment I agree with the decision totally. What I'd like from some older and/or wiser heads out there is a little advice on where to go next. I have loved my time in the forces and want to know if any of the ground branches offer any thing as stimulating as the flying environment, how different is the esprit de corps and work ethic? I am particularily interested in intelligence (Yes, I have the one about military intelligence being contradiction in terms!).

MATZ
17th Nov 2003, 06:27
The same thing happened to me. I was chopped at the very end of Basic Flying Training for a number of reasons (only avg at most things, there were 10 slots available and 11 of us on the cse! Etc….)

Anyway, I spent 6 months holding, looking at all the branches that were available/open and I had qualifications to join. I got to see a fair bit of the RAF that way. Visited about 12 different units to see the jobs "for real", and I also visited the various training units for each of the branches.

At re-selection we went through the same interviews as if we were joining the RAF again (which effectively we were!) After all, we were competing for a place from Joe Public, only having proved we could complete IOT and not any RAF professional training.

I became an Air Trafficker, and have not looked back once. Still bump in to one or two from my BFT days and wonder “what if…” but have had an immense amount of fun. I have been to a lot of places and done a lot of things that being a pilot would ever have given me the opportunity to do and see.

I am glad with the choice I made, and it never hurts to look around a bit. You can always leave latter, but you might not be able to come back if you leave now.

Good luck.

European Crash
17th Nov 2003, 17:18
After a colourful career as aircrew in the late 1980s and then bouncing (unsuccesfully) around the controlling branches, I ended up as an Admin Sec Officer.

There is a huge potential to do well in the Branch and much of the work is intrinsically interesting (in spite of what people might believe). Just avoid budgets and plans tours!

Promotion prospects are very good and the skill set that you acquire would place you well in most civil environments, though, I suspect, not in a civil cockpit!

I haven't served in a Stn appointment for 7 years now and my current appointment is as operational as I would like it to get, short of being shopt at! I have also done very challenging front-line tours in the Balkans and ME. And yes, I have drawn my pistol twice to justify the medals (and not simply sunning on a beach in Italy).

If you are good officer - in any Branch - you will do well and will be popular. I don't miss the flying and I genuinely feel that I am more value to the Service as a Scribbly than in any other field. Moreover, I don't fret or lose sleep over the decision to be re-branched.

SASless
18th Nov 2003, 09:49
Para's mate.....nothing like stepping out of an airplane at night wearing yer full kit.....knowing the Crabs are worrying about missing last call at the bar....and not being concerned where they drop you off.

Vage Rot
20th Nov 2003, 21:08
Stalin me lad!!

You have to decide how much you want to fly vice how much you want to be part of an organization that you obviously have enjoyed.

If it's the flying then leave and persue a civvy flying career.

For me, it's the people with whom I work and the fun that's the attraction - not to mention the money. If you like that side of the RAF and can be a bluntie without a chip on his shoulder then stay in!

I'd always advise going for a trade that relates directly to a job outside - then you can leave and get another job easily - not much call for Int O's outside!

Good Luck

Vage Rot