PDA

View Full Version : Which airline will be next to join the low cost bandwagon?

Lite
16th Nov 2003, 23:33
I am sure that this question has been asked a few times before, however as a new member of PPRUNE and with a huge interest in anything no-frills airline, I have to ask the question;

"Which airline do you think will be next to jump onboard the no-frills bandwagon?

- Will more regional airlines follow the flybe. example and become a "sit on the fence" airline between regional and low cost?

- Do you think other European carriers will launch offshoots?

- Do you think that following the launch of TED, more US majors will look into launching an offshoot low-cost subsidiary?

- Where do you think there is potential for the launch of a new independent low cost airline?

WEBLUEIT
17th Nov 2003, 01:18
Swiss has!!! They charge for all drinks (water included) and all types of food on European flights. The aircarft are smart modern and comfortable - shame the cabin crew are so cold!

They loose your baggage as well and dont give a s..t when you complain and ask for compensation. They also claim the fares are so cheap but they are not. BA & LH are far cheaper on European flights

ALLMCC
17th Nov 2003, 19:00
Bit like Easyjet then?

In trim
18th Nov 2003, 02:49
I reckon British Airways should give it a GO.

That would be a great idea, and could help them save some of their short-haul leisure routes.

Of course, knowing BA they'd set it up, then flog it off for next to nothing, and waste a great opportunity!

:D

Steve Fenton
18th Nov 2003, 06:03
KLM has to be the one now. Biz class is non existant and often when the punter buys a Biz ticket they get exactly the same as economy except double miles and a beer.

They evenb ripped out all the seats and put economy seats all the way through

Scottie
18th Nov 2003, 06:25
ALLMCC do you have a chip on your shoulder or both shoulders? :confused:

Every comment I've seen from you lately has been negative about easyJet. They didn't knock you back did they? :E :\

5711N0205W
18th Nov 2003, 20:04
Bit like Ryanair then?

:8

ALLMCC
18th Nov 2003, 20:11
Scottie, in answer to your question - no, they didn't knock me back quite simply because I never have applied and never will apply for work with them - I would sooner be unemployed than work for a service provider that treats its customers with utter contempt!

no sig
18th Nov 2003, 22:41
ALL MCC

Obviously with 1.9million or so passengers that choose to fly with easyJet every month ALLMCC many disagree with you. We've got the message you don't like easyJet, OK. Now please give us peace!

Kelas
20th Nov 2003, 23:50
As well as Britannia changing names....I have a feeling that they might move closer to the LCC formula!

HZ123
21st Nov 2003, 01:03
Surely the question is how many more can the market support. Just from being a pprune reader you get a picture of the volume of LC flts on offer from the big three off the M25 plus the numbers now operating from the regional airfields.

I cannot see how they can just keep appearing unless the backers/ banks feel there is no limit and also lease costs are very favourable.

Easy people may be able to tell me with the market return of their 73s could they not find these a/c being used to compete against them and the A319s.

reverserunlocked
21st Nov 2003, 01:28
Steve - funny you mentioned KLM's biz class being non-existent.

I flew biz in one of their 737-800's from BEY-AMS a while back and there was a bit more legroom but no more width, a few more drinks and a little model of a Dutch townhouse. Not great considering the ticket was about 4 times the price of economy.

I'm told that Olympic biz class is an extra seat!!!! What are you supposed to do? Sit in between them?