PDA

View Full Version : Competition for Skywest up the coast?

Hayward Djablowme
16th Nov 2003, 22:27
Is it true?
Is Skippers going to compete on the RPT route GEL, Kalbarri, SHK?
I thought most struggled to fill a baron on the Kalbarri,SHK routes.
Maybe times have changed. 5 years ago (GEL) excluded, these destinations even for charter were as rare as rocking horse s&%.
I thought Skips were pretty committed with their mine runs.

Ahhh the lure of the backpackers in Shark Bay and Denham.....back when I was a boy.....

:yuk:

Richo
17th Nov 2003, 09:58
Hayward

I think you will find Skippers has some available aircraft and seats in both M23 and Braz at the moment. The Kadjabut contract has come to a screaming halt with the mine closed down by the new owners. this fees up at least one m23 and one Braz for some RPT work.

Gel will be ok, the folks up there always looking for a cheeper seat, and you may find the SHK route is looking for an aircraft with less capasity than an F50, especialy since Skywest has pulled out of SHK and GWA is not doing any/much KBR RPT. The aircraft have to fly over KBR on the way to SHK, so why not.

Prob a smart move by Skippers, but RPT has not been going well for them of late so who knows. As I understand it, with BRM-DBY-KJB now reducing to a C441 and maybe a M23 as backup.
MEK-Wiluna is, as always quiet.

Skippers has for some time been trying to get into other Skywest ports but is stoped by government controls. This is very fortuetous for Skywest as I belive that Skippers has a better seat and aircraft size ratio to support many of these ports.

Having said that, the recient employment of Skippers (and Pearl) ex marketing manager to Skywest, seems to signal that Skywest may be looking at more mining contract work. Well I mean they obviously always have been, but with this pickup I think they are now more serious at giving it a go.

topend3
17th Nov 2003, 13:59
haven't heard anything re kalbarri but skippers will be flying 7xbras services weekly to gel soon, and will be the exclusive operator into shark bay by year's end.

apparently xr had the shark bay route shored up but there was an error made in reapplying when the tender came up, thats what i heard anyway.

next f100 due december, and i heard unofficialy that njs won the lea-xmas-cocos service back...