PDA

View Full Version : Crashing Computer

Helen49
16th Nov 2003, 17:34
PC running Windows ME, crashes fairly regularly on start up and not infrequently thereafter. Any thoughts and ideas for resolution would be appreciated.

H49

fobotcso
16th Nov 2003, 22:10
...and then there's ME's "Restore" function. Sometimes works well, but not always.

See if you can find a Restore point far enough back before the problem started.

And undo anything you did just before the problem appreared such as uninstalling a new program (application or game) or uninstall a bit of hardware.

If you're using McAfee for Virus protection, you'll need to visit the McAfee Web site to download a special patch. Later updates to the basic suite were incompatible with ME.

Fujiflyer
16th Nov 2003, 23:34
H, did it start crashing following Win ME installation, ie had it been fine previously (under a different OS)? Or is it a new machine which has only "known" ME?

I had fairly severe problems with one of my PC's earlier in the year - would have been easy to put down to software however it turned out to be a hardware problem. As is often the case with trying to get to the root of problems with complex equipment (ie computers & software / firmware) the best approach is to try and trace back when things started to go wrong and then look at what changed at that time. In my case it was a memory extension however the distinction was blurred by the fact that several other changes had been done around the same time.

It may also be helpful to know some details about what actually happens in your case (run up events, etc).

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Nov 2003, 02:08
Helen49,

It would also help to know the specs on your hardware. With WinME, you have to be carefull with Legacy Drivers. Knowing which hardware is in the computer would help us find the proper drivers for your computer.

Take Care,

Richard