PDA

View Full Version : Engineer's job in Colombia?

EngOverspeed
16th Nov 2003, 07:12
Hi Guys!

I couldn't find better place to post my question.

I'm located in Eastern European country now. Working as an Engineer for national airline for about 6 year.

My wife is Colombian. I've been several time in Colombia, speak some Spanish and willing to try myself there.

I even sent my CV's to ACES, TAMPA, but there wasn't any feedback received.

I understand, that you, guys, are pilots, and probably have no ideas about engineering jobs.

However, My question is:
Is it possible to get a Engineering position for a foreigner in Colombia?

Any advices would be much appreciated!

Regards,
EngOverspeed

Panama Jack
16th Nov 2003, 15:29
EngOverspeed,

I cannot answer your question specifically about Colombia nor for Engineers.

What is common in Latin America, is that the national aviation regulations often include some sort of language to the effect that only nationals of the said country can participate in aviation. It is somewhat protectionist-- since being a permanent resident is not sufficient (unlike in countries like the United States where a greencard holder can work-- FAA sets only licensing standards, but it is the INS that decides whether you are allowed to work).

The way that I would approach this problem is to see whether Colombia's civil aviation authorities (Dirección General de Transporte Aéreo) have similar language in their regulations-- that you must be a national of Colombia to hold a professional license.

Second, I would find out from the immigration authorities whether, by nature of being married to a Colombian you are eligible for Colombian citizenship or need to get your residency.

Here is the link to the site of the Dirección General de Transporte Aéreo:

DGTA (http://www.mintransporte.gov.co/Ministerio/DGTAEREO/dgtaereo.htm)

Suerte!

EngOverspeed
17th Nov 2003, 00:03
Hi Panama Jack!

Thank you for reply!

I’m more or less familiar with local (Colombian) immigration rules. The strong immigration restrictions apply for pilots only. There are no such restrictions for ground staff jobs.

I already did some research during my staying in Colombia. It is no problem to get a permanent residence, which is enough for work permission. The problem is to find a job.

You know, I didn’t send my CV through e-mail. I’ve got some locals friends, who are working for aforementioned airlines. They promised to bring my CVs directly to managers/personal departments.
There are few possible reasons, why I’m still waiting for a reply.
1) There is no demand for engineers. (However I know some locals were joined, after I sent my CV).
2) My level / education /experience is too low. (well, I really don’t think so)
3) The UNOFFICIAL politic is to employ local people only.
4) My friends put my CV into litterbin instead to put it on the desk of manager/pers. department.

The Colombian aviation market is really interesting. However, the reality is, it is almost impossible to get a job for foreigners. Or, if you want to get a job there, you have to be at least LatinAmerican. I knew some Peruvians, Nicaraguans who are working for aviation in Colombia.

Any way I’m trying to be optimistic. As we say: “If you are looking for something, finally you have to find what you looking for!”

Best wishes!
EngOverspeed

Panama Jack
17th Nov 2003, 02:08
It is good that you have researched this somewhat and would love to hear from you if there is any meaningful progress.

I've found that sometimes Latin American companies are resistent to hiring outsiders. There are some reasons why I think you could possibly be having problems:

1) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. They don't actually know that you can work in Colombia. Getting your residency in order, and having your cedula shows them that you can work there.

2) Latin American mechanics are often poorly paid. Depending on where you are from, they may simply assume that you would not be serious in leaving an airline in Europe to work in Colombia.

3) They see your licensing standard as a big questionmark. If you have an FAA one, they may see that as a better recognized one (I believe Avianca aircraft are N-registered also).

4) They don't actually READ your resume and ASSUME too much. There you are, sooooo far away, in Europe, with a foreign sounding name. I have had this happen to me at least two known times when I've applied for jobs in Canada-- made a point of expressing in my cover letter and resume that I hold a Canadian passport, but because of my non-anglophone/francophone name and my permanent address they simply ASSUMED that I could not work in Canada. They did not read and during my follow ups they told me that I had been passed over because "well, you know, this job is in Canada, and you need to have the legal documents to work here." If you have an address from family in Colombia, use that.

5) Your friends handed your resume to the wrong people.

6) They don't know if you can function in Spanish or they wonder if you can function in Colombia (pay level, lifestyle, company culture, etc.) They may worry that because you come from Europe, you might just up and away at the first inconvenience that happens to you.

If your friends simply put your resume in the cylindrical file, :uhoh: well, I think I would reassess who I call my friends. :oh:

EngOverspeed
18th Nov 2003, 21:43
well, you are qiute correct!

Just a few notes.

I'm not looking for a mechanics job.
I'm looking for engineer's position. It doesn't mean that I don't respect mechanics. I spent a few years as mechanic as well.

I'm familiar more or less with Engineers (I don't mention mechanics) salaries. The mechanics salaries are really poor, however engeneer's salaries are quite permissible.

Now, I'm doing my cedula, hope during my next visit to Colombia I will achieve some goals.

Regards,
EngOverspeed

Panama Jack
21st Nov 2003, 00:08
Now I feel really dumb asking this, but what is the difference of an Engineer and a Mechanic, in your case. Do you design aircraft/engines?

EngOverspeed
2nd Dec 2003, 06:29
Hi Panama Jack!
First of all, don’t feel really dumb asking questions. As my B-737 instructor said: “there are no stupid questions”.
No, I don’t design aircraft/engines, simply because I’m not working for a design bureau. I’m working for an airline maintenance department.
Basically, the difference between Engineer and a Mechanic (or technician) is that Engineer is sitting at the office, and ruling all matters related to aircraft maintenance such as maintenance program, operational directives, airworthiness directives, modifications and other continued airworthiness requirements made mandatory by the associated Authority;
the Technician is working on apron (or hangar) and “touching” airplane by hands or by spanner, he does physically all necessary work.
From my point of view, the good Engineer has to begin as a technician. This experience really helps “to feel” aircraft and avoid mistakes in the future.

Regards,
EngOverspeed