PDA

View Full Version : useless 150 hr course or usefull

McRippy
16th Nov 2003, 06:51
do you think the 150 hr commercial syllabus is pointless in the fact that no one will give you a job at 150 hours,or extend the 150 hours up to 200 with an instructor rating. or do think the 200 hour course is the way to go because you can include an instrument rating

bradfp
16th Nov 2003, 08:35
Do the 150hr course and then either the IFR twin/ SE instructor rating, might work out a bit cheaper. What about NVFR?, is this included in your 150hr? If so, 5 hrs command at night counts for IFR rating. You could build that into your command hrs for commercial.
When doing I/F for commercial, incorporate that for IFR rating. (20hrs for IFR rating counts in the sim)! Then you only need 20hrs in the a/c.
Most important thing, training must be done by a reputible company, with good record. Talk to people about their training and experiences.
A well trained 150hr com. Vs badly trained 200hr com. will win every time.
Good luck!

apache
16th Nov 2003, 17:03
Depends whereabouts you want to go AFTER the course I suppose... and of course the cost of the whole thing!

IF you want to go the instructor route, then maybe do the 150hr course, and make SURE that you get a NVFR, as this is required to be an instructor. At the end of it if you decide to go this way... when you have 200 hours, you will also have an instructor rating and be employable... and one step better in the race than the pilot with 200 hours and a commercial licence.

If however you are going to go bush..then maybe a 200 hour course might be better, with some time in a 206/210/182 .... more remote area navigation and maybe even a CIR.

Whichever way you go, try to incorporate a twin endorsement... as this all counts toward TOTAL time. ie if you have 130 hours and need to pay for another 20.. then make 5 of it on a twin. At an extra $100 per hour that will cost you $500. IF you need to pay for a twin endorsement AFTER the CPL.. then that will cost you 5hours * $280 = $1400 ( as an example!)

As has been said before, make sure you get quality training, and learn from these people... not just WHAT they teach you... but how they teach you, what they DON'T teach you. Look and observe their attitude and outlook on the whole job.

Most important.. Enjoy!

slice
16th Nov 2003, 19:44
A few years ago, at a certain operation up North an indivdual was given a job with a TT of 158 hrs (no connections whatsoever in the company to get the job). This pilot required no more checking to line than any other newbie in the company. I believe a waiver was obtained successfully from the insurance company to cover him until he reached 200 hrs. Probably some kind of a world record!:}

rmcdonal
17th Nov 2003, 16:31
Gee SLICE, If only that worked for the rest of us. Gess I well just go the Instructor rating with a night VFR.

Ang737
18th Nov 2003, 09:11
Also consider the cost as I believe that only te 200 hr CPL course is GST exempt. I'm all for students saving costs at every turn (excluding safety and quality of training) to help the bottom line. I would suggest however getting as much heavy cessna time (206/210) as possible for the trip up North. I have friends up there that find it frustratingly hard to get a gig without it.

Ang ;)

Vapour Trader
22nd Nov 2003, 12:28
ang737, you might of got your wires a bit crossed there, I believe the 150hr CPL course is GST exempt not the 200hr. Also I would like to point out to McRippy that there are only a small number of schools qualified to do this, so make sure you ask the right questions when you select your school.
If you are in Perth I would choose the Aviation Institute of Australia, they are definately the prefered option out of the three that are allowed to provide this service, plus there reputation in the industry is v good indeed. Also, yes you can include your night VFR and you CSU Retract all at the same time. On the downside though it can be difficault to obtain a job straight away regardless of 150/200 hrs you might want to try the instructors course and collect hours whilst funding your IFR or Twin hours. I would say that would be the sensible way to go.

Vapour

Ps AIA number is (08) 94141272:O :ok:

dragchute
22nd Nov 2003, 22:01
Vapour Trader

...would like to point out to McRippy that there are only a small number of schools qualified to do this...

Not quite so. The approved CPLA Training Course (150 hours) is described in the 'Day VFR Syllabus' Section 2.8.

It is an integrated course of theory and practical training. Integration and examination requirements are specified for pre-solo and pre-area solo. Briefly those conditions are:
1 Student must accumulate five hours dual training before being credited with a pass in BAK.
2 Student to have commenced cross-country training and passed BAK before being credited with a pass in CASA PPLA theory.
3 Student pilot to have accumulated at least five hours PIC cross country flight time before being credited with a pass in CASA CPLA written exam.

The CFI must ensure that, as part of the schools monitoring process incorporated within the school's approved CPLA Training Course, a student complies with the conditions relating to the sitting of examinations as enumerated above.

A school without a CPLA Training Course may incorporate an 'achievement record' in the students progress sheet recording the above data. Should that student subsequently elect to undertake the 150-hour course elsewhere he/she simply presents that achievement record to the CFI for verification. The requirement is then met.

McRippy

I would suggest that the end product rests not so much with the school but more with the student. Agreed there are some unscrupulous operators who extract every dollar they can out of their clients but I have found that training is a two-way street. If the student is committed to learning thoroughly and exploring information outside the box the final standard is high and the flight hours taken to get there are low. Unfortunately some students need to be spoon-fed. In any event the end product is easily assessed by a prospective employer with a few questions and a comprehensive check ride. Each school will produce its good and bad pilots!

Vapour Trader
23rd Nov 2003, 12:18
Thanks dragchute, your right. I was mearley pointing out that at JT there is only a small number off schools offering the course, I think 3 in total.......not sure? One of them being AIA.

McRippy, make sure you get all the info before you make any plans to start flying with any school.

Stay Frosty!

Vapour trader:ok:

Icarus2001
23rd Nov 2003, 14:14
Ahhhh, so much misinformation in so few posts...

believe that only te 200 hr CPL course is GST exempt

There is no such thing as a "200 hour course". READ the CAR, if you can't apply yourself to read and understand the requirements of Section 5 you probably should choose another career.

The tax ruling that says the training is GST exempt is available to all integrated 150hr CPL students, as explained by dragchute.

I was mearley pointing out that at JT there is only a small number off schools offering the course

Come on. Jandakot only has a small number of schools full stop. I'm pretty sure ALL of them can offer Integrated Training with GST exemption?

Aviation Institute
The Aeroplane Company
Air Australia
Royal Aero Club of WA
Minovation
Phoenix Aviation
Jandakot Flight Centre
Jandakot Helicopters

POTENTIAL STUDENTS READ THIS BIT!

Visit ALL of the flying schools at your chosen aerodrome.

Listen to everything they say.

Do not believe everything they say.

Talk to Instructors and the CFI if possible.

Talk to current students near or past test stages ie GFPT PPL etc. Be wary as people may recommend the flight school where they trained and rubbish other schools without any real knowledge of them they simply parrot what their instructor tells them about Comapny B.

Read the CAR requirements yourself. FIND THEM YOURSELF on the CASA website, call this pre course study!

Look at the aircraft they will use. Not through the window of their lounge, from inside the aircraft.

Finally choose carefully. Schools that tend to compete on price and minimum hours rarely tend to be the best value for money.

Like most things in life the cheapest price is not always the best value.