PDA

View Full Version : Cabe networking

aiglon
16th Nov 2003, 04:14
OK, I've done a search and looked at some previous threads but I want to check before I proceed.

I need to connect a second computer to myexisting Blueyonder cable modem so that my son can access the internet for his homework without hogging my PC :) From my research, I reckon I will purchase a LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4 port switch (what a mouthful) for about £41, a length of cable and a network card for the boy's computer. Anyone envisage any problems - apart from the fact that whenever I try and do anything technical like this, it always goes wrong :*

Thanks in advance.

Aiglon

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Nov 2003, 04:27
Aiglon,

Most modems connect to the PC via a Crossover Cable. With a router, you need to use a standard cable. So you will need 3 cables. (Since you will not be able to use the Crossover Cable provided with the modem.) Connect the cable to the modem in the Uplink Port. The computers will use the other ports.

Then you will need to setup PPPoE in the Router. It is pretty straight forward. (The Router Manual should have step by step directions for setting up the PPPoE.)

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
16th Nov 2003, 06:19
I beg to differ Richard,

my BY modem is connected via a standard (straight) 5e patch cable to my Belkin wireless router - and the latter is connected by another patch cable to the main PC - been working 100% for 2 years now.

So unless Linksys say otherwise I'd say the setup originally posted by aiglon sounds good to me.

Aiglon, do you have the motorola modem or something else?

btw you will have to spoof/clone the MAC address from the main PC - 'cause that's what BY use to know you're a legit customer -- PPPoE not required. That should be in the instructions from the manufacturer.

Good luck!

amofw

Ant
16th Nov 2003, 06:20
I too have Blueyonder Broadband and have a very easy and simple network. No need for routers, switchers or other costly hardware (though if you run Win 95 or 98 things won't be so simple).

Heres how it works:

Main PC running XP home edition has USB connection to the Motorola SB4100 cable modem. This PC's network card connects to second PC's network card via 10 metres CAT5 cable and crossover plug which I bought from Maplins (a chain of electronics stores here in the UK).

Second PC runs Win 98SE (this version has networking capabilities that standard 98 doesn't have). I had to set up various protocols sutch as Netbui and others I can't remember on the client machine before the 2 PC's could 'see eachother'.

Next, I run a programme called 'Proksi' on the host machine. Its free from http://www.networkingfiles.com/Proxy/Proksi.htm and allows the client PC to connect to the internet via the host PC. By the way, the host pc's Zonealarm protects both machines!

Don't forget to configure Zonealarm (or other firewall) to allow the client PC's network card's IP address to have permission to access the internet. Its a bit fiddly, but the sense of achievement when a luddite like me got the whole shooting match to work was great. And just for the record, I'm posting this message from the 'client' PC!

OzPax1
16th Nov 2003, 08:57
Cross over cables are used when you want to connect layer 3 kit (routers,switches etc) to one another. Everything else will use the standard 'straight through' cable. Easy way to identify the different types of cable is to hold the ends together facing the same way up (with the metal connectors facing upwards). If all the wire colours are in the same order it's a 'straight' if there not it's a 'cross over'. Simple innit...! ;)

aiglon
16th Nov 2003, 22:14
Thanks for all the answers.

amofw: Yes, i am using a Motorola SB4200 modem

Ant: both machines will be running W98SE so I guess your approach would work. However, doesn't that mean that I have to leave the "server" machine switched on in order taht the "client" machine can connect? Using a router would avoid that, I think.

Aiglon

fobotcso
16th Nov 2003, 22:15
The Linksys kit sounds fine. My D-Link stuff is pretty fair too and I connect the Router/Modem to the Switch with a straight patch cable. Both the Router and the Switch are "auto-sensing" and it doesn't matter whether you're using straight or cross-over cables so it makes no never-minds. :cool:

Front_Seat_Dreamer
16th Nov 2003, 23:38
aiglon

I think the reason that ant connects that way is because of BY's insistance that you can only connect to their network from one mac address however I think can be resolved so that you can connect from both through your router.

I am guessing here but I think that Ant had problems connecting the windows 98se because he probably never assigned a fixed IP address when just using tcp/ip but that is where netbeui can be a saviour. However bug respect for trying in the first place it really is not difficult to someone with a half logical mind.

I am sure if you have trouble when the time comes pop back in here.

Good luck

FSD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Nov 2003, 02:31
amanoffewwords,

It all depends on the modem. I have run into modems which use a crossover cable when connected directly to the PC, others I have seen with straight patch cables. Then some come with crippled routers that only allow one computer to be connected to it, even if you use a router and spoof the MAC Address (Those can be reprogrammed), some which require the computer to have a specific name in order for the modem to work. Some need PPPoE, others do not, etc.

One of the more interesting modems I have seen is a DSL Modem from Lucent which has a built in Router. You do not use PPPoE on the computer, but you have to enter the DNS Server Addresses under Networking on each computer in order to get it to work.

There are many different varieties, without knowing the model of Modem it is all guesswork.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Aiglon with a router, you do not have to have any particular computer turned on in order for the other computers on the network to be able to access the Internet.

25F
18th Nov 2003, 09:53
Richard,
Port 1 on the Linksys routers has two physical connections - one for normal and one for crossover cables. Obviously you can only use one at a time, but it does mean you can use a crossover cable.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Nov 2003, 10:25
25F,

Most routers/switches/hubs are auto switching dual sense on the uplink port now. That is why I like to use all straight patch cables when I can. No worries about mixing and matching. ;)

Take Care,

Richard