PDA

View Full Version : Which Airline is best for a trip to Australia?

Guern
15th Nov 2003, 22:41
Planning a trip to Australia any recommendations ?

Jerricho
15th Nov 2003, 22:50
At the risk of sounding like a smart @ss, from where?

redsnail
16th Nov 2003, 03:16
I use Qantas or BA. Usually the cheapest or one of the cheapest from London to Sydney. Have to search around a bit though and be flexible with the times. I prefer a SIN stop point. Terminal's nicer. Usually only on the ground for about 2 hours.
As for the flight? I just take a few good books, the minidisc, ear plugs and some water. It's a long way in cattle class and I can't afford any thing better (yet).
I know I'll get there. I know they won't go broke tomorrow. I know I can get an alcoholic drink on board too.

Jerricho does have a point though. :D

Pax Vobiscum
16th Nov 2003, 05:22
I agree with redsnail, although I think you can get cheaper - I've heard JAL have some cheap fares and they still have smoking flights (which may be a + or a - for you).

The other decision factor is how much of a hurry you're in. If you're planning a lengthy stay, you can take a break in (e.g.) Thailand (Singapore's good for 2/3 days - after that you've seen it!). You could even get a round-the-world ticket. IMHO you can't do justice to Australia with a stay of less than a month (preferably two), although that's obviously difficult if you're in full-time employment.

On the other hand, if you're in a hurry and want to go direct, I'd recommend flying to Perth as your first stop. It's 'only' 18 hours flight time and the time zone differential (currently +8 hrs) is 3 hrs less than Sydney.

Guern
16th Nov 2003, 05:27
Good point! Sorry about that from London to Australia!

Thanks for the replies so far.:ok:

DX Wombat
16th Nov 2003, 19:14
I agree with Reddo, QF / BA. If you are not actually in London may I suggest flying Manchester - Frankfurt - Singapore. It's a much less stressful route and you don't have to fight your way across to Terminal 4 at Heathrow. The price is exactly the same too. :ok:
Whatever you do, try to avoid the Manchester, Charles de Gaulle, Singapore route - CDG is a filthy hole (dirty seats, chewing gum all over them and the torn lino floor) - or at least it was on the one occasion I was unfortunate to have to use it. :ugh:
You will find cheaper flights but ask yourself if it is going to be worth it if you are delayed. Both BA and QF look after their passengers well and do their best to provide accommodation / refreshments as necessary.
Ring QF or BA direct and ask for their latest cheap offers, you might well be surprised but don't expect to be able to fly cheaply over the Christmas / New Year or school holiday periods.

zed3
16th Nov 2003, 19:39
There's always Emirates , Manchester - Dubai - Perth . Fares are good and Business is very good and reasonable.

mutt
16th Nov 2003, 20:05
I'm guessing that anyone who suggests flying long-haul in BA economy are relatively small people. Their seating pitch with the seat infront of you reclined is extremely poor. I use a simple laptop test, if i can open and use my laptop, I'm happy, if not, i dont have enough room.

Try Emirates or Singapore.

Mutt.

OzPax1
16th Nov 2003, 20:39
And fly into one of the other cities other then Sydney. They all have international airports (Queensland has more then most with 3!) and are they are usually less busy and you will be out of the terminal much faster. Flying into Brisbane 2 years ago I took 20 mins from getting off the aircraft to meeting the family after customs! Admittidly a Aussie passport helps! ;)

Jerricho
16th Nov 2003, 20:52
Sorry dude, as I said, not really trying to be a smart @ss ;)

I have tried quite a few of them. Malaysian were very very good, room was fine (I'm 6' 1"), the service was great.

I've done the JAL flight a couple of times (it was the cheapest!). The flight is kinda packed in and squashed (If you can get top deck economy, you're away from the smoking bit and have a little more room). If you do the overnight stop on Narita on the way from Aus it does break it up (I was a couple of years ago, but it was an overnight at a JAL hotel with dinner and breakfast).

QANTAS/BA has been a mixed bag. Please don't yell at me, but it has been dependant upon the crew. One flight the toilets were in a disgusting state, rubbish all over the cabin and the attitude wasn't the best. But then again on another flight, sitting on the ground in Sydney and having a chat with the cabin crew, I made a joke that if I had been working, we wouldn't have to hold into LHR, and was taken up to Club, so you can't grumble!

Virgin was great (although, it was only as far a Hong Kong. Ansett were flying then).

Guern
16th Nov 2003, 21:28
:O Thanks for the info guys.

Pax Vobiscum
17th Nov 2003, 05:00
One more thought - flying BA/QF gives you access to cheaper internal QF flights, which can be expensive. I don't know if Virgin Blue have a similar deal (with Singapore??).

exmax
27th Nov 2003, 14:40
I have flown to Australia a few times, once on QF and 3times on BA, my last flight was with SQ, I got a good deal and I can only say from experience that they were by far, the best airline.

christep
27th Nov 2003, 16:56
Have a look at Cathay through Hong Kong as well - they have some pretty good offers from time to time.

(And HKG has one of the best lounges in the world if you are flying up front or have the OneWorld status to get in.)

hoofhearted
28th Nov 2003, 06:19
From summer 2004 you can fly with Virgin, ex LHR, via Hong Kong, to Sydney.:ok:

bladums
28th Nov 2003, 21:28
European airlines are a bargain to sydney £499 return! (£399 if today)

Beat that.

Only trouble is its a 747-200 A/C

First departure was November 14th

Last departure is Jan 16th

Via Colombo

oh and she holds 440 pax in total!

VS-075
1st Dec 2003, 00:45
I would recomend Singapore Airlines join the frequent flyer programme and you can chose your seat online out of the ones available also check in online so you only need to be at the airport 45 minutes before departure . The service is exellent and the fleet is modern the service from Manchester is direct to Singapore on a 777 with on demand entertainment so you can start the movies when you want. :ok:

DanAir1-11
8th Dec 2003, 14:45
IMHO you cannot go past SQ, I have been making the trip approx 8 times a year for the past 13 and since trying SQ a couple of years ago, I wouldn't use anyone else. Quality of BA/QF service had declined significantly IMHO towards end of the 90's hence the reason I tried SQ. Would recommend them to anyone.

(No, I don't work for them!!)

Cheers

jnp
8th Dec 2003, 21:44
Check out the following link...

http://www.aviation-health.org/seatpitch.asp

It clearly shows that both BA and Quantas are well down on legroom, compared with Emirates, Singapore and best of all, Malaysian.

That extra 3" makes all the difference!! ;)

GwynM
9th Dec 2003, 20:57
I had no problems with Royal Brunai, this time last year. The only downside is it's a dry flight, but apart from that, it's the same as any other bog standard cattle class.

Colonel Klink
14th Dec 2003, 04:08
Royal Brunei is not dry, but you have to bring your own! Most passengers buy a bottle of red or white to have with dinner(which the CC will open for you) in the duty free, or a miniture or two to have after their meals. They stop in Dubai and Brunei, then direct to BNE. At least you won't suffer "Vinny Jones" types, I flew for them for 4 and a half years, never saw an air rage incident once!!!

bladums
14th Dec 2003, 23:38
Virgin Atlantic to SYD from summer04!

Tall_guy_in_a_152
15th Dec 2003, 05:33
I would recommend Malaysian. Originally chosen for the longest economy seat pitch (I'm 6'4+), the service was excellent, the price reasonable and KL is an interesting (and very cheap) city to spend a day or two en-route.

TG.

easyflyer
17th Dec 2003, 20:41
Cathay rocks! - Was in biz, which was amazing (great seats, IFE system, food, crew).

Was v lucky to grab an upgrade to F on BA outbound - have to say, CX Biz service/food/IFE was as good, although clearly less elbow room.

Enjoy it!

Gouabafla
29th Dec 2003, 23:25
Whatever you do, the flight will be too long and you will be desperate to get out and go for a good long walk by the end of it.

One clincher for me is always whether I'm in a frequent flyer programme. Oz is a long way and it is well worth getting hold of the miles - you'll get enough for a couple of round trips from London to Europe with some programmes. Bearing that it mind, I'd go Thai with a stop in Bangkok.