PDA

View Full Version : Victa115 Original Pilot's Handbook

Menen
15th Nov 2003, 20:07
Anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the Victa 115 original manufacturer's Pilot Operating Handbook. There is no shortage of locally made up flying school POH's for the Victa, but it's the real thing that I am after.

john_tullamarine
16th Nov 2003, 06:55
Menen ... having learnt to fly on the Victa in the 60s I still have my original manual tucked away. I will drop it in to you when it turns up .. still in unpacking mode at the moment. Hope things are well with you ...

JT

jimshutt
16th Nov 2003, 13:57
Hi, I have a Victa 115 and we were instructed by our CAA to throw it out and purchase an upgraded one from the lovely Lorraine girl Gilligan of Edge Aviation [ Aust] It cost us all about $150 NZ. I still have the original and can photo copy if you wish Regards johnshutt.

Disco Stu
18th Nov 2003, 15:55
johnshutt

Why on earth would the NZ CAA tell you to through away the POH and buy!! another one ??

What was the difference between to 2 versions and does your aircraft fly any better for having purchased a new manual ??

Besides what have the NZ CAA got to do with an Australian Certificated Aircraft (if it is indeed a 'Victa')

The whole "Flight Manual" thing has a peculiar smell about it!!

Disco Stu

Menen
18th Nov 2003, 19:06
Thanks for the replies. A kind soul has helped out with the correct original manual. And for Disco Stu...Your last line is spot on! I agree.

Cypher
19th Nov 2003, 15:18
The only difference between the older manual and new manual that johnshutt was told to buy was that it's heaps heavier and in a hard cover...

All the more better to knock you out with when you decide to envitabily throw the Victa upside down!!!

Lasiorhinus
19th Nov 2003, 15:29
Victa didnt actually publish a flight manual for the Airtourer, did they? CASA regs at the time didnt require australian built aircraft to have a flight manual published by the manufacturer, CASA put one out for the AT100 and 115. Then a few years ago they said 'chuck out the old [CASA-written] manuals; you need the original manufacturer's one'.
Well, coz Victa never wrote one, and are no longer in the business of building aircraft, something had to be done.
Last I heard, Millicer (a company) held the rights to the Airtourer, but that could have changed since. So to fix the problem, Bob MacGillvray at Edge Aviation wrote a flight manual for the Airtourers.
NZ's finger in the pie is the Airtourer was kiwi owned for a while..

Disco Stu
19th Nov 2003, 17:03
"NZ's finger in the pie is the Airtourer was kiwi owned for a while.."

That's why there are at least 2 AFM's for the Airtourer. One for Australian Certificated (Victa built) and one for NZ Certificated (AESL/PAC built) aircraft. Heavens only knows what the Poms did Certification wise with the Glosair built (sorry assembled) ones.

Some of the manuals supplied for a fee as previously mentioned DO NOT reflect the aircraft they purport to represent as an AFM. I have also been informed that those same "new" manuals contain the same typos that were in the original "Handling Notes" from the late 60's:confused:

I would still love to know how or even if, the newer (and for a fee) manuals have changed the way the aircraft flies.

There must have been a good (operational) reason to waste every aircraft (and not just Airtourer) owners time and money to implement the AFM change.

Disco Stu

jimshutt
22nd Nov 2003, 08:38
Dont know why, dont know when. I just comply with the boys and girls making the rules.They have fun imagining how profund their decision making process must impress us ordinary Joe Bloggs and Joe Bloggeses. I in turn have fun letting them think that about themselves. My last medical was a classic , costing about $2700:00 to prove that my suspect blood pressure averaged 123/83 over a 24hr period, that my colesterol level was half of the normal value, and that the very small spike in my ECG [ never the same one for the same reason twice ] didnt mean anything at all according to the results of a Myocardial Perfusion Scan which included a stress ECG Test , which also recorded an excellent recovery rate from the treadmill. Apparantley the results of a recent Cardiac Ultrasound assessment [required from the previous medical ] indicated that my heart was perfectly normal, didnt mean a thing. CAA think that my Doctor is totally incapable of deciding whether or not I will survive for another 6 months.Regards johnshutt.
PS the new white flight manual is now falling to bits, but fear not ,I will be able to use a covers from my now redundant IFG that CAA required me to replace @ $520. for the total set.

john_tullamarine
22nd Nov 2003, 09:46
Bob MacGillicuddy is alive and well .. and can be found in his natural habitat at West Sale aerodrome in Gippsland, Victoria ... except when he can't help himself and goes flying ....

Menen
22nd Nov 2003, 20:23
I now have a copy of the original Victa Pilot's Handbook for the Airtourer 115. While the technical specifications are the same as that put out by Edge Aviation, much of the handling and checklist information published in the correct original handbook is certainly at significant variance to the stuff contained in the Edge produced manual. Edge has added several cockpit drills of the sort that are common among flying schools. Undercarriage down and locked for example when the aircraft has fixed gear.

One marked difference between the original Victa 115 Pilot's Handbook and the CASA approved Edge version is that the original manual requires that if the OAT is 40 degrees F and below the carb heat must be set for hot for take off. The Edge version omits this. That is a vital operational safety difference.

Lasiorhinus
25th Jul 2004, 03:32
But does the carb heat actually need to be on? I would venture that if Edge removed the line about leaving it on below 40F, then perhaps they tested and discovered that the aircraft did indeed fly without requiring that.

djpil
25th Jul 2004, 08:41
Does the Edge Manual permit flick rolls?

I have a letter from the NZ Ministry of Transport back in 1973 which states:

"During type certification for the T6 version of the Airtourer in 1970, an investigation was made into flick manoeuvres. Flick rolls were subsequently cleared for this and the "150" variants in N.Z. Later in 1970 further tests cleared all the 100 and 115 models for flick rolls..... For your information the relevant Flight Manuals recommend the following maximum entry speeds for a flick roll.
Airtourer 100, 115, 150 & Super 150 - 70 kts IAS.
Airtourer T6 - 80 kts IAS." The letter went on to describe the technique.

I subsequently obtained Australian approval and the Flight Manual for my aeroplane was amended. DoT's letter stated that other Airtourers would be similarly approved if requested.

Storm Girl
25th Jul 2004, 12:26
I started learning to fly at the Aero Club at Parafield (a long time ago) on the V100. Rego' BW_ series. First flight BWI, first solo BWH. How could I trace where these aircraft are now? Thanks for any suggestions.

djpil
25th Jul 2004, 12:36
http://www.airtourer.asn.au/
http://www.cosmic.com.au/cgi-bin/ata.asp?action=REG

Jungmeister
26th Jul 2004, 10:47
Storm Girl,

There is a very good site maintained by the Airtourer Association (see link in another post).

I am afraid that BWH crashed near Pinnaroo SA 17/05/66. I learned on Airtourers at about the same time (1965). I remember when BWH was brand new. I think it had only 11hours on the tacho when I flew it.

There is a nice picture of BWI in RACSA colours (almost) at http://www.aarg.com.au/AirTourer.htm It is being cared for in the museum.