PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Gap Year for ATPLs?

Pilot16
15th Nov 2003, 07:51
Right, I made my decision, I want a degree (probably electronic engineering if I can get in as it is a ever booming Industry) .
I got my PPL And Night Qualification from Stapleford Flight Centre. I done the training beside my A-Levels...now should I take a gap year to do my residential ATPL at Guildhall? The good side to this is, I can do my CPL and IR as I do the degree as I'll have the ATPLs passed...If I dont take a gap year to do the ATPLs, basically Id be stuck after the hour building, as Ill need to do the ATPLs which can only be done after the degree...

whats your opinion?
thanks

Charlie Zulu
15th Nov 2003, 09:21
Hi Pilot16,

Not a bad idea, especially if you can afford not having to work the year before the University Degree.

However the only point I am going to make is undertaking the CPL/IR flight training courses during your Degree course... You may find the CPL and IR courses need a lot of concentration to absorb the information being thrown your way, i.e. it takes a couple of months of full time training to get through the flight training courses, so trying to carry out a degree course at the same time could prove a little overwhelming?

Mind you you'll have three months off for summer vacations...

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Nov 2003, 16:32
Check out how long the ATPL exams are valid for before you have to put your CPL/IR to them - it used to be 5 years but I haven't checked for a while.

Going off to do a possibly 4 year degree might mean that your ATPL exams have a very short shelflife before you must complete your flight training.

Cheers

Knightsky
15th Nov 2003, 20:42
Wise words from WWW. I understand the JAR reqirement still is still based on a five year validity period from exams to ATPL issue.

Remember not only will you need the CPL/IR qualification but also 1500 hours total time and 500 hours multi-crew time which basically means you will need a commercial flying job for at least a year of this 5 year period. I think Gatwick will look at individual cases if you get close but there are no guaranties in that department so I wouldnt plan anything on that basis.

Doing the CPL/IR training whilst at Uni might be theorectically possible during the summer breaks but as you have probably already expericenced most things in aviation have a habit of taking longer than planned.; usually in areas outside of your own control. If you go down that avenue then give yourself plenty of slack time-wise. The last thing you need is to have to return to uni with a half complete IR as it will cost you dear in getting back up to speed for its completion.

As far as then exams go, academically minded or not, you only want to do the ATPL exams once.

Pilot16
15th Nov 2003, 22:44
"Remember not only will you need the CPL/IR qualification but also 1500 hours total time and 500 hours multi-crew time which basically means you will need a commercial flying job for at least a year of this 5 year period."

Thats the first time Im hearing this :ugh: :{
In other words, I need to obtain my full ATPL within five years of getting the 'fATPL'????? Can anyone else confirm on this?

Charlie Zulu
16th Nov 2003, 00:58
Hi Pilot16,

The time lines are thus:

Pass ALL 14 written exams within 18 months of the first exam being taken.

Obtain a CPL/IR within 3 years of passing the ATPL written exams. If you don't then the exams will be invalid and you will have to sit them again.

Obtain a full ATPL (1500 hours) within 7 years of your JAA CPL/IR (fATPL). This of course requires 500 hours of multi crew aeroplane experience, so you'll probably have to have a job for at least a year or two during this period.

Information contained within LASORS Seciont J 1.7 (on Page 7):

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_J.pdf

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Pilot16
16th Nov 2003, 05:08
thanks a lot...

so the information Knightsky provided is not true?

Anyone else have any thoughts on my situation?

FlyingForFun
16th Nov 2003, 09:00
Knightsky is not correct.

Quoting from Lasors, section J:A pass in the ATPL theoryh examinations will be accepted for the issue of a CPL or IR during the 36 months from the end of the month of the date of the final pass in the examinations. Provided that an IR is obtained during this period, a pass in the ATPL theoretical knowledge examinations will remain valid (for the purpose of ATPL issue) for a period of 7 years from the validity date of the most recent renewal IR entered in the CPL(My emphasis.) In other words, once you've got your CPL/IR, the exams remain valid for ATPL issue indefinitely, so long as you keep your CPL/IR valid, or at least don't let it lapse by more than 7 years.

FFF
-------------

Pilot16
20th Nov 2003, 05:31
Thanks very much FFF!

nosewheelfirst
8th Jul 2004, 08:00
Sorry for dragging this to the top but going along the lines of academic study, ATPL study and training. Am I right in assuming you could spread the ATPL's over 2 years i.e. study for a year then sit the first module in the summer then another year of study then sit the 2nd module the following summer? You will be sitting the exams within an 18 month period but studying for them over 2 years. This will also be along with academic study for two years. Then do the CPL ME/IR after the second module of exams. Thus at the end of it I will have a frozen ATPL and a degree (assuming i can manage my time well :) ) It would be difficult but not impossible.

I already hold a PPL with quite a few hours under my belt including 43 hours with my UAS and have just finished my second year at uni.

no sponsor
8th Jul 2004, 09:48
It's possible to split them across two summer vacations. People doing distance learning full-time are completing each of the module in 8 weeks, plus the two week crammer courses. In this way you could do the course in a little over 2 months.

When I was a student, I could have easily coped with the ATPL course while doing my studying, having everything done and dusted in about 8-10 months.

Slightly surprised to hear students with this sort of cash though. Modular will still cost you £30-40,000...

expedite_climb
8th Jul 2004, 10:37
Pilot16,

I did exactly what you are advocating, although almost 8 years ago now, when the rules werent quite so restrictive. I dont regret it for one second, I did my instructor rating and instructed through university and weekends / holidays and left uni with 1800 hrs, straight into a airline job.

The only difference in your position is that, realisticaly, youll need to do you IR in your GAP year too, and then keep in current. I didnt need to do mine until I left uni.

Cheers