PDA

View Full Version : Radalt unlock ? Ouch ! Sceptical

peter manktelow
15th Nov 2003, 05:14
Please take a look at page 46 "Rotor and Wing" (Oct 2003) article by Mott F. Stanchfield.

Scary if true but am just a little sceptical.

In the article he relates flying a 206 with a newly fitted RADALT and descending at night over water with 200 feet bugged!!! He passes 200' without the warning light illuminating.

I quote
" The problem was the surface being absolutely flat and calm , the radar signal penetrated it and was trying to read the deep ocean bottom. The radar altimeter worked well over land but for good reason , I never trusted it over water again"
end quote

I have heard of and experienced , doppler unlock over smooth glassy water but never radalt. (Now lets not get into the issue of overwater night flying and who should , or should not , be down that low at night. ) What concerns me is that I must rely 150% on my radalt for the Rig Radar approach (ARA/NDB) during the day let alone at night.

Is Mr Stanchfield the victim of a faulty radalt or misconception of how the system works ????

Over to you dear reader

:8

Nigel Osborn
15th Nov 2003, 05:43
Hi Manky
I think you're right. If you are flying over salt water, the radalt should work.
However in the Antarctic where the ice is very pure, no polution in those days, the radalt did play up a bit and needed to be watched carefully. That said the radalt was still a very important aid to surviving!:p

GLSNightPilot
15th Nov 2003, 06:48
Yeah, I read that & just sort of ignored it. I think he either had a bad radalt or set it wrong, or something like that. I've descended many times over water that was very calm, not a ripple, and I always got a reliable return. Seawater always reflects radio energy IME, both radar and radalt frequencies.