PDA

View Full Version : Charity Flights with a PPL

tomcs
14th Nov 2003, 20:58
Hi,

My friend has asked me if i am willing to take some people flying as part of an auction for charity...i.e the people bid for the prize and then i pay to take them flying.

As there is no financial gain on my part is this legal with a PPL...the rules never seem to be ironed out?

Thanks for your input

Tom

ToryBoy
14th Nov 2003, 21:11
I don't believe there is a problem there. I once asked on this forum and the general concencus was that it was nothing to worry about.

Deano777
14th Nov 2003, 21:34
just type 'charity flights' into a search, it will reveal copious posts on the subject :ok:

Dean.

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
14th Nov 2003, 21:42
It don't look like a problem as it is not paid work and they are not even paying the fuel etc.

However there may be a problem that they have actually bought a ticket?

I have often telephoned the CAA with strange queries and found them excellent. They will always help. Try your local office for a start. You will probably have to call Gatwick. Number is on CAA website.

You could check Lasors? Probably easier to call CAA:\

May caused an insurance prob!!

pulse1
14th Nov 2003, 21:46
There is a CAA document which covers this - sorry can't remember the number.

YOu have to be under 60 and current. The aircraft must have a Public Transport CofA and have had a 50hour check shortly before the flight. There is also a restriction on the maximum distance from base you can fly.

bookworm
14th Nov 2003, 22:01
There is a potential problem because the passengers are paying for the ride. The fact that they are not paying you is not relevant. It would be considered to be public transport (requiring commerical pilots and an AOC) were it not for the exemption contained in AIC White 88 (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4W088.PDF)

FNG
14th Nov 2003, 22:23
The AIC to which bookworm has already helpfully referred makes the position clear. The relevant provision in the Air Navigation Order is 130(7). NB Under the ANO, CAA written permission is required for each flight, but if the criteria set out in the AIS Annexes are met, then the general permission attached to that document applies.

BRL
14th Nov 2003, 22:27
Hi there. Using the search comes up with 2 of 8 subjects that are of use to you. Let us know what you come up with.....

Fly Stimulator
14th Nov 2003, 22:41
BRL,

It has happened again I'm afraid.

Your search comes up with such jewels as:

I dated my boyfriend when his pilot training begun and now 3 and a half years later he has made it to FO he has told me he just wants to be my friend.

.. but it's not entirely clear how this sheds light on charity flights!

Evo
14th Nov 2003, 22:54
and

"I'd like Graham Taylor to F@*k Off!"

Wouldn't we all, BRL, but I'm not sure how this helps...:O :rolleyes: :p

BRL
14th Nov 2003, 23:02
Oh dear. Seems like this Opera browser is doing something to my links..!!! :O :O Sorry.........

(what thread did it lead to???????? ) :ooh:

Evo
14th Nov 2003, 23:11
"I wish I hadn't said that" in Mil Aircrew (amongst others, that quote was the first thing I clicked on).

Tried it myself on Opera, the URL doesn't look right... so i'll let you off this time, BRL :ok:

DOC.400
15th Nov 2003, 00:09
I understand you are required to write to the CAA for written permission to do this, inlcuding permission from the airfield and you are not allowed to go more than 25 miles from said airfield and no land aways. :confused:

Wow! What a prize.....:bored:

DOC

knobbygb
15th Nov 2003, 00:24
I've done a couple of charity flights, but not the type you're talking about. In my case there were no tickets involved and no advertising of the flights, which I think makes all the difference.

Each year my club organises an event where kids from a local cancer hospital and their parents are invited along and volunteer pilots take them for rides. The club take care of the insurance and all the a/c are on Public Transport CofA anyway.

If you have the urge to do your bit for charity it might be good to organise such an event. The kids love it beyond description - I can still hear one who screamed with delight all through the takeoff and climbout! Much more satisfying for the pilot too than taking up someone who just happened to buy a lottery ticket down the pub.

I'm convinced that what we do is perfectly legal. As I say, I think it's the fact that there is a fee to pay and that there is advertising of the flight that make the other sort illegal, especially if you're talking about an auction rather than a lotterey, because the fee paid for the flight will (hopefully) be much higher.

vintage ATCO
15th Nov 2003, 00:59
What a lot of misconception!

Read the AIC bookworm pointed you at, 76/2003 (White 88). That contains a General Permission so if you comply with all the conditions in the AIC you do not need specific permission from the CAA, and it's legal.

If you want to do something which is outside the AIC, then speak to the CAA. They are very helpful. We go slightly outside the AIC with the dHMC Charity Weekend at Old Warden each June and it isn't a problem getting CAA approval.

Note that Charity Flights with passengers have to made from a licensed or Government aerodrome.

VA

Timothy
15th Nov 2003, 01:18
I agree with vintageATCO (don't I always). Don't listen to ill-informed speculation, rtfAIC!

Remember that if you get it wrong and have an accident, and the insurance company are able to wriggle, you could lose your house, business, pension and all.

I have asked for and been granted a lot of exemptions. I need them because the Aztec takes five pax. What I do is to offer them reasons why I exceed the minima in other ways (ATPL/IR, not PPL, twin as opposed to single, long hard runway instead of short grass etc) and they usually (always?) reply within 48 hours with a letter of exemption.

A really helpful and efficient branch of the CAA :O

W

Zlin526
15th Nov 2003, 03:45
tomcs,

Bookworm, WCollins and Vintage ATCO are 100% correctamundo...

If you fulfill the requirements of AIC White 76/2003 to the letter, you need not get written permission.

If you do not fulfill the criteria exactly, then you need to speak to the GA Department at the CAA. Apparently, the number has now changed to 01293 573510 as I found out recently after trying to get somebody on the other number for about a month!

I'll second the fact that they are incredibly helpful, which for the CAA is quite a thing!