PDA

View Full Version : Flightdeck Visits???

FlyUK
14th Nov 2003, 16:59
I know this has been asked before but not for a while. I'm just interested to know which airlines still ban people (visitors, crew family, PAX) from the flight deck. I am aware of BA's no visitor rule but what about other carriers?

bizflyer
14th Nov 2003, 18:03
If this is a genuine question I'm praying that you are just really naive. This is neither news nor rumour.

Moderator where art thou?

Wing Commander Fowler
14th Nov 2003, 19:06
Most Airlines will allow crew onto the flight deck.... indeed it is encouraged by most as they are required to operate it from there!

:p

......... although if the bean counters had their way....?

FlyUK
14th Nov 2003, 19:27
Nice to know that everyone these days is treated as a terrorist. I appologise if my question was not phrased particularly well, but i really am asking because I am currently working on my CPL and my father is a Captain. But i can't go on trips with him on the flight deck which sort of pXXXes me off as staff family are not permitted. Now i know that some airlines allow staff family and visitors on the flight deck without any problems.....My question is which ones have no ruling against it....

bizflyer
14th Nov 2003, 20:04
I apologise if you think my comment suggests you are a terrorist, however I believe it's a rather odd question to ask, you also edited it to remove the reference originally made to the US, have only just registered on this site (although I only got around to it recently myself so that's no crime) and if your father is a captain I would guess he could answer your question for you??

Northern Highflyer
14th Nov 2003, 20:06
Someone I know claims they are going on a jump seat trip on Monday for the experience.

He works as check-in staff and is studying for ATPL exams, but as he is an ex-salesman I tend to take what he says with a pinch of salt.

I would be very very surprised if what he says is true............................but you never know !

FlyUK
14th Nov 2003, 20:23
bizflyer, my father has been able to say that some european airlines allow people on the flight deck but i was more intrested about the other side of the pond. Thats why i originally said US. But then when i re-read it and your reply i thought i better change it as, yes it wasn't particularly good.

timmcat
14th Nov 2003, 20:58
Hi.. a bit off topic but just to let you know that we have a fairly prolific poster within these parts with the not too dissimilar nom-de-plume of 'expedite climb'.

Just so you know!

Cheers

Tim

Rocco in Budapest
14th Nov 2003, 21:38
Expedite climb, your father is probably screwing a few of the pursers and doesn´t want you to witness any of it, hence why he doesn´t want you along, you know, threes a crowd.

FlyUK
14th Nov 2003, 22:10
Rocco in Budapest . Thanks, that helps....
timmcat...what is that surposed to mean?
All i asked was a pretty basic question cos i thought i might get some mature replies about what companies say what. Obviously not the best place to ask serious questions.

Jerricho
14th Nov 2003, 22:56
Dude, I think you owe Timmcat an apology. He was trying to be very helpful in letting you know there is another PPruner here with the alias "Expedite climb", and was just giving you a gentle heads up. Just in case you saw a posting and though "Hey, I didn't post that!"

Relax.....enjoy.....not everybody here is out to get you. And those that are, well, you'll find out.

FlyUK
15th Nov 2003, 00:14
Hey, i'm sorry for making it sound like 'what is that sposed to mean' in a bad way. I actually didn't understand what it meant.:O

wandrinabout
15th Nov 2003, 13:18
Jeez..... give the guy a break.
Simple question, no drama?

Expedite - with my airline, sorry but no.

With reference to your alias being very similar to another regular poster, just expect some possible confusion.

RUDAS
15th Nov 2003, 19:40
isn't it time we left the 'terrorist spotting'to the proper authorities? I'm sure they do a much more accurate job of it-it is what they do,after all.I'm tired of seeing people with legitimate questions that contain even the slightest bit of ambiguity being accused of having ulterior motives-its really not within our field of responsibility or expertise to judge why people ask things-IF YOU DONT LIKE THE QUESTION,DONT ANSWER IT,rather than making people feel like they're suspects when all they want is to ask something.

And by the way,expedite climb, im pretty sure that you will not be allowed into the flight deck as a visitor anywhere in the world,especially if you aren't related to a flight crew member.This might be different if your father is in command and the airline has no regulation totally prohibiting the capt from using his discretion.

I understand why you were asking-not everyone suspects everybody else thank God!

Sunshine Express
15th Nov 2003, 22:24
E C.

"Obviously not the best place to ask serious questions."

No, probably the worst..........:rolleyes:

TightSlot
16th Nov 2003, 05:56
I can tell you with absolute certainty that my airline doesn't allow flight deck visits.
:O

Avman
16th Nov 2003, 06:18
Expedite-Climb ,

The vast majority of commercial pilot PPRuNers are Brits or Yanks. They will all tell you, quite correctly, that it's a no-go on their airline. However, I can tell you that, with a few exceptions of course, many other European companies still welcome persons on the FD. Don't forget that the Brits and the Yanks are Bin Liner's number 1 targets and as such their security measures will always be much tighter, even if they are a load of cr@p in reality.

mutt
16th Nov 2003, 10:44
im pretty sure that you will not be allowed into the flight deck as a visitor anywhere in the world,
Not true, but it certainly isnt as easy as it used to be.

Mutt.

FlyUK
17th Nov 2003, 04:06
Thanks to all those who replied. I just hope that the ruling changes soonish. Seems a bit silly that myself, a potential pilot can't go up to the flight deck. Even with permission of the Captain.

Whippersnapper
17th Nov 2003, 05:18
Expedite - your father, if he really is flight crew, should already be able to tell you that it is not just a company rule but FAA and CAA legislation. Therefore you will not get a jumpseat with any UK or US airline, regardless of who you are, and nor did your friend. I believe it is also JAA legislation, in which case almost all European airlines will be included.

And sorry, but I doubt the rules will ever change, especially with the threat level rising again.

pipersg
17th Nov 2003, 08:03
I think it very much depends on the crew. I had a jumpseat ride not two months ago on a 146-300. I'm not going to get anybody into trouble by going into further detail about the airline or destination.

I was already booked on the flight and asked the Captain if I could have a quick look at the flightdeck and there you go. At the time I didn't know that it was against CAA/FAA legislation and would never have asked had I known so.

Kiwidan
17th Nov 2003, 11:37
Continental dont let you in. I asked while on a visit to NY (Pre 9/11) for my girlfriends 21st and they said no no no !!!

Fright Level
18th Nov 2003, 00:21
Several airlines seem to allow it as shown by these pics on Airliners.net

LOT (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/431386/M/)

AF 1 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/424614/M/)

AF 2 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/427123/M/)

Air Caraibes (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=429591)

Tyrolean (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=428168)