PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa and Sudan Airways incident at Khartoum

pieterdw
14th Nov 2003, 15:25
Anyone with news on the incident on the taxiways on Thursday evening? (03nov13)

Kernel
14th Nov 2003, 18:11
Speaking to one of the Sudan Air pilots this morning, apparantley it was Lufthansa and Saudi Air. On their taxi out, Lufthansa thought their wingtip (A340?) would pass over the Saudi aircrafts wing (747?). Was misjudged and the 2 wings made contact. No serious damage but caused delays to quite a few pax.

Welcome to Africa.

15th Nov 2003, 15:24
That A340's wing is damn long!
I remember an incident at Smuts a few years ago where a Dash 8 was standing at the intersection waiting for t-off and an Air Portugal A340 thought there was enough space to pass behind and so subsequently knocked the tail of the Dash 8 clean off. I think the Dash 8 was in the hangar for a looong time and the A340 flew home that night!!

RUDAS
15th Nov 2003, 19:59
hey 126.7,i remember that incident too, but just a small correction,it was an SAX Dash 8 and an IBERIA A343,not TAP.It was in fact on departure of their first return flight to Madrid after starting services to SA.

Good memory!!!;)

DONT THINK
16th Nov 2003, 01:33
It was the Iberia flight ( Inaugural return flight to madrid in the evening i think) . A HS behind it (Care Air ?????) had a hydraulic failure and couldnt steer or stop . It ran up under the A340's tail and the prop punctured the skin all the way as it dug in (looked a lot worse than what it probably was). The 340 stood for many a day until Airbus sent people to consider their options , it then flew back empty. (Thats if my memory serves me correctly).

4HolerPoler
16th Nov 2003, 03:42
I think there were two separate incidents. My memory has it that it was:

1. A TAP A340 that knocked the tail off the SAX Dash 8 and

2. The Care-Air 748 that had a hydraulic failure and trundled into the Iberia A340 that, yes, was on its inaugural flight to Joburg.

But then I've been soaking the grey-matter in gin for too long & I've probably got it all wrong.

Whatever.

4HP

16th Nov 2003, 15:25
I've been soaking my grey matter in precious alcohol too and 4HP's version is fully correct.
Nothing wrong with my long term memory :}
Thanks to Jack D

The Claw
16th Nov 2003, 16:36
Yes, they were both seperate incidents. In the Dash-late incident the aircraft involved was ZS-NLW and the A340 was CS-TOA. Damage was in the region of $280 000.

The investigation found that the A340 wingspan of 60304 m, was 50m from cockpit to the tip of the winglet due to the sweep back of the wings. To quote the CAA report,"This huge distance to the wingtip of the aircraft and the optical diffraction caused by the side window of the cockpit when looking rearwards at the wingtip, contribute to the aircraft being difficult to manoeuvre on the ground during taxi operations."

Something for A340 drivers to bear in mind, since there have been a number of minor incidents on the ground aswell!

If you are reading this Doug, how is your wrist?? :}

Be safe guys :ok:

ou Trek dronkie
17th Nov 2003, 19:57
I remember the Iberia incident very well, a whole bunch of celebrities were gathered together at the time and got a close-up view.

I haven't been at the dark fantastic today, but the figure of 37 million Rand pops out of the deleted folder. That's a lot now still, but a heck of a lot then.

Many at the time reflected that Iberia were very quick to up sticks and get out of SA when the going got a bit tough.

The Claw
18th Nov 2003, 00:21
I remember it well too, talk about sweet justice!? :}

Iberia pulled out because of the "old SA" policies and on returning to the "new SA" got taken out by the new SA Flag!? (Huge flag on tail of the HS748.) :p

Also remember one of the Hawker Slowly crew had an up coming interview and due to him sliding under the A340, he wondered if he could put the A340 on his licence! :ouch:

ou Trek dronkie
18th Nov 2003, 20:45
The Claw

Yes, it was such sweet justice, I laughed and laughed, believe me.

That's a good one about the additional Airbus rating too.

Hehehehehehehehehehe

oTd

jettison valve
20th Nov 2003, 03:28
Good evening all,

some more information about the recent LH incident: The a/c involved was D-AIBF, the last remaining DLH A340-200 at that time. Reportedly, there was some damage in an outboard slat area.
After sitting around in KRT for several days, AIBF was flown to HAM for planned storage where it awaits its D-check in 2004, prior to being sold back to AI.
AFAIK the incident happened on its very last rotation with DLH...!

Cheers,
J.V.

25th Nov 2003, 23:46
I found these pics of the Iberia A340 and the HS748.

http://aviation-safety.net/pictures/displayphoto.php?id=19980520-0&vnr=1&kind=C

ou Trek dronkie
26th Nov 2003, 14:56

Nice pics, lucky no-one was hurt I'd say.

Ta

oTd

Cardinal Puff
26th Nov 2003, 15:22
Well, the Captain, SB, had to duck down below the dash to avoid a headache.