PDA

View Full Version : A330 in Lightning strike drama?

Zlin526
14th Nov 2003, 05:55
Just reading the 'Western Gazette' website and saw this:

Click here for full version of Western Gazette (http://www.westgaz.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=116662&command=displayContent&sourceNode=116661&contentPK=7761115)

EX-MAYOR RELIVES HORROR FLIGHT ON BURNING PLANE

BY JILL GOSSAGE STAFF REPORTER

15:00 - 13 November 2003

A Former north Dorset mayor has spoken of her traumatic brush with death in a burning plane struck by lightning during a "cosmic storm". Janet Rider, Mayor of Shaftesbury 11 years ago, was on her way home from a holiday in Cuba with daughter Virginia when the Monarch Airlines' A330 Airbus with 384 passengers on board had to be diverted to St John's Airport, Newfoundland.

"We were told by firefighters the next day that if we hadn't got down within ten minutes we would never have made it," said a still-shaken Mrs Rider at her home in Castle Hill Close, Shaftesbury.

"They also told us that we were refused permission to land at New York because we had come from Cuba and the authorities feared there could be a repetition of 9?11."

Mrs Rider first suspected something might be wrong when she saw a flash of light on the starboard wing.

"The weather was very turbulent because we were flying through the cosmic storm but I thought the flash was probably a reflection of the wing light in the window against the blackness of the sky," she said.

"Then the air conditioning duct above the lockers started vibrating badly but a steward said it was just ice in it rattling which I didn't believe. The passenger cabin filled with the smell of burning rubber. The captain said it was a slight electrical fault which they were trying to rectify."

Passengers had barely started eating their meals when the captain ordered them to be collected and stowed away and the cabin crew to return to their seats.

"Then the TV screens went off and the whole cabin plunged into darkness with only the blue emergency floor lights pointing the way to the emergency exits," said Mrs Rider.

"One minute we had lights, the next we were in total darkness. Children were crying, a woman screamed, 'We are all going to die' and it was really quite frightening. Eventually the captain said we were going to divert to Newfoundland.

"The engines cut out and everything went silent. You could hear a pin drop. It seemed like eternity. We started to fall rapidly and I thought, 'This is it'. I put my pillow and blanket on my lap and held Virginia's hand, expecting to be told that we had to adopt the crash position but no announcement came.

"We then landed very fast and were told to take what hand luggage we could and to leave the plane as quickly as possible. There was no pushing and shoving but I've never known a plane disembark so fast."

Passengers spent the night in a Holiday Inn and before a replacement plane arrived from the UK Mrs Rider and her daughter went for a walk around the area.

"We came upon the Kent's Pond fire station and the firefighters there told us they had been called to the airport and that there had been a fire in the cockpit which had been put out before they arrived but was still smoking," said Mrs Rider.

"When we eventually arrived back at Gatwick I felt I wanted to kiss the ground like the Pope. Even though it was pouring with rain and freezing I was never more glad to be back on terra firma."

Mrs Rider is still sleeping badly and having flashbacks after the incident two weeks ago.

"I keep thinking, 'What if?' They say that your life passes through your eyes when you're facing death but it didn't. I believe that your life is mapped out from the moment you're born and I guess our time wasn't yet up. I'm just glad to be alive."

Sounds like a script for a new Hollywood disaster movie. How much do they pay these journalists to put rubbish like this in a newspaper?

crewrest
14th Nov 2003, 06:29
Crikey!

I'm never flying again:{

trytofly
14th Nov 2003, 06:46
not if it means a night in a.... Holiday Inn....aaaarrrrggghhh

Buster Hyman
14th Nov 2003, 09:16
a woman screamed, 'We are all going to die'

Was there a queue to her seat with people wanting to slap her? (a la Flying High)

Hand Solo
14th Nov 2003, 09:22
Whats a cosmic storm? And what did she mean by 'the engines cut out'? What, like when they go quiet when you descend? Sounds more like someone doing an electrical smoke drill on an Airbus.

HotDog
14th Nov 2003, 10:35
A cosmic storm indeed - what a load of cr@p!

under_exposed
14th Nov 2003, 15:35
Were there any nuns on board? Did one have a guitar?

Jerricho
14th Nov 2003, 16:31
"They also told us that we were refused permission to land at New York because we had come from Cuba and the authorities feared there could be a repetition of 9?11."

I like this bit. Just cause I'm a little curious, is there even the slightest bit of truth in this?

javelin
14th Nov 2003, 16:36
384 people on an Airbus 330, were 24 standing :E

OFBSLF
14th Nov 2003, 16:40
Was there a queue to her seat with people wanting to slap her? If I'd been onboard, there would have been a queue of at least one ;)

Andy_S
14th Nov 2003, 17:08
"We then landed very fast and were told to take what hand luggage we could and to leave the plane as quickly as possible."

Since when have passengers been allowed to collect their hand luggage before evacuating the aircraft!!

Crepello
15th Nov 2003, 02:13
In all fairness, the link does work so it seems the story was printed, despite being based on fantasy. Just proves the adage about believing what you read in the papers.

I note the rag is from the UK's West Country. Hardly a great advert. I can only assume this is what their hacks churn out when they're not enjoying themselves with their relatives. :rolleyes:

MerchantVenturer
15th Nov 2003, 03:48
"I note the rag is from the UK's West Country. Hardly a great advert. I can only assume this is what their hacks churn out when they're not enjoying themselves with their relatives. "

Hey, steady on, we have animals as well as relatives for hacks to enjoy!

I doubt that the west country rags have a monopoly on printing sensationalist, inaccurate claptrap.

I also wonder whether the great God Compensation does not have a part to play in this tale: 'ten minutes and we would have died'; 'we're all going to die'; 'engines cut out .... this is it; 'sleeping badly since and having flashbacks'.

buttonmonkey
15th Nov 2003, 04:15
Cause of the burning rubber smell...........? An intermitantly slipping rubber compressor drive belt in a galley chiller unit. Impossible to identify at the time.

No lightning strike, No flightdeck fire or smoke, no double flameout, no refused permission to land.

Just a few moments in a dark cabin with an over active imagination, subsequently sexed up by a journo with no integrity

phnuff
15th Nov 2003, 12:38
6 or 7 years ago, I was on a KLM B747 flying back from Sao Paulo which apparently was hit by lightening. In many ways as slf, it was a non event - electrical system hickup and what appearded to me to be a purple light inn tha cabin for about a ten millionth of a nano second.

Still, why let a good story get in the way of ...........

BoeingMEL
15th Nov 2003, 15:22
Woah there guys! I was on that flight and feared serious problems from the moment the coloured gent with the saxaphone boarded. (Great thread.... made my day..sad ol' skipper with no medical!)BM

FormerFlyer
15th Nov 2003, 16:21
Hey it wasn't just in that West Country rag........it was front page story in the fantastic Luton on Sunday, week before last.

Don't have a link as I'm not that clever but it was pretty much the same trash.

cheers ;)

FF

mr Q
15th Nov 2003, 20:19
Is any bit of the article true or is it all fantasy ???????

Rolling Stone
15th Nov 2003, 21:01
Mr.Q. Yes it was true. Flt was from Cuba to LGW diverted into St.Johns Newfloundland with burning smell in cabin. As per ButtonMonkeys post. "Cause of the burning rubber smell...........? An intermitantly slipping rubber compressor drive belt in a galley chiller unit. Impossible to identify at the time.

No lightning strike, No flightdeck fire or smoke, no double flameout, no refused permission to land.

Just a few moments in a dark cabin with an over active imagination, subsequently sexed up by a journo with no integrity

Synthetic
16th Nov 2003, 02:25
Surely you are either told to get your hand luggage or leave as quickly as possible, but not both.

LTNman
16th Nov 2003, 13:32
But what about the Yanks saying no to an aircraft in distress. Surly this can’t be true but we are talking about America here so it probably is true.

D.Lamination
16th Nov 2003, 17:15
Surely you cant be serious?

Did they come in on instruments?:p

Did they nearly hit the oil tanks at Daquiri?:}

Did they pour every light they had on the Runway?:E

Did the Captain have fish for dinner?:8

Were there Gladiator movies on the IFE:cool:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue:confused:

BoeingMEL
16th Nov 2003, 17:35
Burning Rubber eh? What wonderful and erotic memories flood back at the very thought...... especially nightstops with the ever- willing and resourseful wagon-dragon Smamfa ***** when I was at Birdseed! Oh happy days! BM

Lu Zuckerman
17th Nov 2003, 02:22
Getting back to the original topic of a lightning strike on takeoff if this had been an A-310 there is a strong possibility that the wing would have been blown off.

:E :E

Payscale
17th Nov 2003, 21:54
If you fly into turbulence with a Trent 772 on your wing there is a possibility of burnt rubber smell due to the large fan touching the kevlar lining.

I actually wrote that useless rag and gave them my uncensored opinion about their useless journo.... never did answer me:}

buttonmonkey
21st Nov 2003, 20:57
Reference my previous post and that of Rolling stone, the burning (rubber) smell was entirely due to the galley chiller unit and absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH A LIGHTNING STRIKE or anything else.

Buster Hyman
24th Nov 2003, 09:41
"I thought we were all going to die!" exclaimed one startled passenger from the ill fated flight "Either that or my next beer would be hot...same thing really"

"Everything was going alng nicely on our Boeing A390 Trident when suddenly, there was an explosion & shards of ice blew from the fridge! Next thing, the Captain is sitting next to me & asked if I'd ever seen a grown man naked!" said Timmy Wilson, who didn't want to be identified.

:rolleyes:

Whiskey Zulu
24th Nov 2003, 19:35
:ok: LMAO@Buster.

buttonmonkey
24th Nov 2003, 19:54
Buster,

You should seriously consider a career as a journalist. Untapped talent! Your version of events is closer to the truth than the orginal article.

no reds
24th Nov 2003, 21:04
. . . . . . and stop calling me Shirley :ok:

Freeway
25th Nov 2003, 07:53
I just want to say good luck.... we're all counting on you!!:}

dghob
25th Nov 2003, 09:18
I think everyone's overlooking the one immutable fact in all of this: the lady involved was once (11 years ago from memory) the mayor of the well-known and very significant burg of Shaftsbury. Surely this is enough for all you Doubting Thomas' to accept, as the journo involved did, that this lady is not to be treated as some sort of joke but rather as a source of information of the utmost reliability, as are all present & past pollies.

Buster Hyman
25th Nov 2003, 10:32
Hear, hear! Politicians deserve our respect and....nah, sorry, can't keep a straight face like you dghob!!!:p