PDA

View Full Version : RAF Personnel Honoured

EESDL
13th Nov 2003, 21:13
Out of sheer curiosity (OK I was waiting for the 'Currant Bun' to become available) I found myself looking through the 'Grip and Grin' rag that comes around every fortnight.
It was great to read about the tales of 'daring do' from the worthy recipients of numerous awards for Bravery and Valour. Some great stories were published and I felt honoured to have worked with some of the recipients in the past and to know that the RAF has such men and women in its ranks.

Now to the point of the Post!
Why were pictures published of the recipients? Surely this throws all our personal security arguments out of the window? Those very same arguments that have been insisted upon over the last 20 yrs that I know off - bearing in mind we're meant to know a thing or two about how terrorists operate and the enemy gathers their information.

If the idea is to improve PR then I feel they're targeting the wrong section of the UK. The recipient can have their pic up on the lav wall and all colleagues will get to know by osmosis but should such personal details have been linked to various Ops for the sake of the wider readership?

Sec Policy seems to change with the wind. Next, you'll be allowed to wander down town because the RN do it!!
PIRA are alive and well and loving their new-found freedom and easy access to data on the Armed Forces personnel.
It's a good job that PIRA are not linked with other terrorist organizations - I'm sure they could get a good price for the info - Doh!!

Imagine the scenario:

Ahmed: "Paddy, we're having some trouble with infidels in our country, what do you have on offer?"
Paddy: "Ahmed, yeah, we're having the same problem, now where did I put that article on those brave men and women...."

I assume that our Police Section have resigned and all those videos of Hissing Sid have been destroyed.

Once again, well done to the brave and gallant, I didn't need the pic to put a face to a name, I had already read about you in the Gazette and smiled with satisfaction that your efforts had been awarded.

It seems to me that it was something that the Septics would have done.

Training Risky
14th Nov 2003, 21:35
Yes indeed, I read the latest issue of 'Queen and Country' today - great inspiring stuff that tells the Tommies the truth about the war.

Interesting to read that Iraq was liberated solely by the heroes of the fast jet force. I heard somewhere that some helicopters were involved - is this true? (Can't have those noisy dangerous things hogging all the glory from the FJ mafia can we! Too closely associated with the army as well - how awful):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nice to see 18 Sqn OC A Flt get a mention for his DFC though.
:ok:

Now back to my copy, and all the blanket coverage of fast pointy things......

I_stood_in_the_door
14th Nov 2003, 23:07
pointy things and bullets always win wars, don't u know man? who on earth has ever heard of logistics.

bally hell, tarquin.

yarp yarp, toodlepip.

good work to all the unsung heroes.

isitd:ok: