PDA

View Full Version : Sharpen a pencil taped to a skid?

DynamicallyUnstable
13th Nov 2003, 13:50
A friend of mine was telling me about seeing something about a heli pilot that maneuvered a pencil that was attatched to a skid into a pencil sharpener, sharpened it, and pulled it back out.
Anyone see this or know where there might be a link to it?

ShyTorque
13th Nov 2003, 14:37
Can't see it being commercially viable. :E

trimpot
13th Nov 2003, 14:41
It's not usually the pilot that sharpens the pencil.:rolleyes:

Happy Landing !
13th Nov 2003, 15:08
When he got it in the sharpener, how did he spin it around?:uhoh:

Dantruck
13th Nov 2003, 16:25
2B, or not 2B?...That is the question! :p

Thomas coupling
13th Nov 2003, 16:51
Must have been a CH53 air to air refueller just practicing:ooh:

MaxNg
13th Nov 2003, 17:18
Dyna

It must have been a male pilot as women dont have "lead in thier pencils"

:D

EESDL
13th Nov 2003, 21:57
Hope it wasn't a Robbo because the electric sharpener would have spun it around!

gizmocat
13th Nov 2003, 22:24
There's definately an .avi of this happening out there on the net somewhere, I've seen it but I'm sorry, I don't have link any more :-(

If memory serves, the helicopter was a B206 and the pencil sharpener was mounted to the roof of a car or pickup that was moving. It took the pilot a few tries to get into position but he managed it in the end.

I'll have an ask around for the link. I think it was done for an American stunt show or something.

Bests
Martin

the wizard of auz
13th Nov 2003, 22:51
when I was a kid, I saw on the tele a bloke in the states in a 206 make a bowl of weeties (or whatever it was) with a robotic arm attached to the chopper. poured the stuff from the box into the bowl and then added milk from the carton.............. all whilst hovering about three feet off the ground.

now I fly choppers, It's way more impresive.

paco
13th Nov 2003, 22:59
It was in a Guiness Program or Ripley's as I believe

Phil

DynamicallyUnstable
14th Nov 2003, 02:03
Wizard: True that! Way more impressive when you can grasp the concept of difficulty!:ok:

Yeah, I think it was Ripley's or something like that. I did a search on google but couldn't find it.

Let's find these clips guys/girls, way cool stuff!

bloodycrow
14th Nov 2003, 03:54
yerrr....I recall watching the show..it was called "How did they do that?" or something along those lines..it's got that tall pinhead lookin guy for a host (not that there's anything wrong with that)...anyways it took the 206 driver numerous attempts and most of the day to get one pencil into the sharpener..and up until then the pencils just kept breaking on each attempt..I may be wrong here but I kept hearing the pilot mutter something like, "they don't makem like they used to Ted"
The whole gig was done (what appeared to be) at a speed just above translational (yer..it was one impressive pencil sharpener, had a looong extention cord, wheels and a dedicated driver!)
Maybe a good pr stunt but I reackon (my opinion only) they could have done it on the 3rd take by gettin your average cocky on an R22 from up north (in oz) to ava a go...some of those guys don't seem to ava problem at lifting the latches on gates on their first take!

overpitched
14th Nov 2003, 03:58
Yeah.. But they'd have to do it one handed while rolling a smoke

Practice Auto 3,2,1
14th Nov 2003, 05:22
DU,

Is this what you're after?

http://www.lmnotv.com/new/shows/gbr/eg/312/312.htm#

Its the picture on the right next to the blokes mug-shot!

Its a 206 in the vid too, rather him than me :\

gizmocat
14th Nov 2003, 05:44
Hey Practice, you beat me to it, just. >:-)

I'm sure that in the vid that I saw, the pilot eventually made it. Looks like there is a bit missing from the video at this link.

John Eacott
14th Nov 2003, 06:30
I recall seeing a similar achievment, along with the breakfast scenario, but both were shot in the hover: the video linked seems to be far more difficult at speed, and as for the row of power lines alongside the road :eek: :rolleyes:

the wizard of auz
14th Nov 2003, 07:54
Bloodycrow, I wasn't going to say anything about gate latches.......... what with the authorities gathering evidence from here and all, but your right.
I knew a bloke that had a bit of an old fishing rod taped to the front of the right hand skid and it was a very usefull tool for all sorts of things, from giving a bullok a hurry up to opening gates and picking the biggest mangoes from the top of the tree. RHC aught to look at adding it as a STC. ;)

Overpitched, mate, I wish I was that good............ I have to smoke townies coz I'm still new to all this whilymagig stuff. :D

overpitched
14th Nov 2003, 08:37
Good vid... I don't know why he didn't just fly the thing steady. Would have got it all finished sooner !! :E :E

DynamicallyUnstable
14th Nov 2003, 10:54
YES! Thanks. If only we could see him pull it off!:ok: