PDA

View Full Version : DVD playing on pc

cortilla
13th Nov 2003, 08:31
Ok had a bit of a virus a week ago, and have since had to format my drive and re-install windows xp. Now i can't play dvd's off my pc. I've tried things like downloading PowerDVD, Divx, Xvid and nothing works. Ican't play DVD's off my computer anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Nov 2003, 11:26
cortilla,

Could you give us a little more details about your hardware? All I know is, you have WinXP and some sort of DVD Optical Drive. Other than that we do not have any information to work with.

Please list the specs on your hardware. (Also, list the Drivers you installed for your Motherboard, Video Card, and Sound Card.)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I really like nVDVD (http://www.nvidia.com/page/nvdvd_downloadtrial.html), but if other players do not currently work, I would not expect this to work at this time either.

cortilla
13th Nov 2003, 22:21
all the drivers at the moment except for the display card (s3 Via) and network card (rhine ethernet) are microsoft's own drivers for xp. Using an AMD athalon 2600+ with 32 mb graphics coming off the mother board. It's an IDE DVD-rom 16x. I've just set the region to region 2. Maybe that'll work. Oh and it does play software on DVD's (i.e. software that's been copied to dvd's) just not dvd's themselves. It hasn't found a vga controller, but my screen seems to work fine so i'm not too fussed about it. ANy suggestions or if you need anymore info, let me know.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Nov 2003, 01:47
cortilla,

It would help knowing your motherboard's details. Without it, I cannot tell you which drivers you need to load for it. nVidia, VIA, SiS, and ATI all have specific drivers for their motherboard chipsets and if the motherboard comes with onboard video, there are specific drivers for it too.

All this could affect DVD Playback as well as the performance of your computer. (Especially is the DVD Player is in PIO Mode do to the lack of proper IDE Drivers.)

If you have region locked DVD Software, that could be the problem, if the DVDs you are attempting to play are not from that particular region.

Which model is your DVD Player? (There could be a Firmware update for your player that will handle some of the new copy protections used on the DVD Media.)

Take Care,

Richard

cortilla
14th Nov 2003, 02:45
not really sure what the exact specs are, and not really sure how i can find that stuff out, short of unscrewing the pc and taking a magnifying glass and a torch in with me. i'll try and find some computer nut near here to help me out. or i'll try and find a program on the net that'll search my computer and tell me. not sure if that exists. Thanks for all the help tho

zoink
14th Nov 2003, 06:20
Cortilla

For a tool to help you identify your mamaboard and loads more information, try the following

Sis Sandra Soft

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_x86&langx=en&a=

Once installed there is a tool called MainBoard Information.. This gives you all the details on the mboard etc

cortilla
14th Nov 2003, 08:32
hahaha a computer can never beat me. Well i found a cd with all my drivers on it hiding amongst my pile of stuff, reinstalled all the drivers instead of using the microsoft versions, and hey presto it all works again. Thanks for all the tips and advice though guys.:= :=

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Nov 2003, 22:31
cortilla,

That is great news. I am glad to hear you are all set.

Take Care,

Richard