PDA

View Full Version : Immigration and the RAF?

bigdog1971
13th Nov 2003, 06:23
I have made some inquirys into joining the RAF, and only reached dead ends so far.
I am an Army Officer Black Hawk Pilot, serving with the Australian Army and thinking of moving to the UK, I have contacted the RAF recruiting website, and was informed that due to me not possessing a UK passport or any familly links, my transfer cannot occur.
I find this a bit hard to swallow, as we (ADF) are currently poaching a number of your (RAF, Army, RN) serving Aviators with no green card implications. My great great great Grandfather was a UK citizen about 100 odd years ago and was sent on an all expenses permanent holiday to Australia by the British magistrate.
Is it possible that the recruiting Officer just put me in the Too Hard basket?

I will soon contact the British Embassy here in Aust, but was interested in the opinions of fellow PPruner's.

:ok:

Pass-A-Frozo
13th Nov 2003, 08:14
That's strange.. Their own website states that to be a pilot

Pay: £28,500–£83,700
Minimum length of service: 12 years

Qualifications: 5 GCSEs/SCEs and 2 A-levels or 3 Highers or equivalent. GCSEs/SCEs at Grade C/3 minimum to include English language and maths

Nationality: citizen of the UK, the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland since birth

Here's a link to a previous thread on the topic. Might give you a few contacts:

Topic: Foreigners in the British military? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90334)
:ok:

bigdog1971
13th Nov 2003, 09:43
Thanks PAF, that is very interesting, makes me think that the gentleman at recruiting found it all too hard.
Here in Aust we have a Lateral Recruiting Cell for serving Aviators from other nations.
Can anyone give me the contact details of a similar section/cell in the RAF?
Cheers

Samuel
13th Nov 2003, 10:19
Bigdog, by=pass whoever you spoke to, and go to the British Defence guy in Canberra. There are numerous ex-RNZAF, RAAF, And RAF pilots now flying in services other than that in which they started! There are Kiwis in the RAAF and RAF as a result of Helengrads decision, and I note that two of four F111's visiting Auckland recently had ex-RNZAF pilots!:ok:

Bad company
13th Nov 2003, 17:47
Big Dog,

Not sure of the exact dates, but as of May(ish) this year, effectively all flyers in the RAF must have British citizenship. I've been tolsd its a security thing to do with UK/US eyes only int.

European Crash
13th Nov 2003, 20:13
Fast-track UK nationality is being offered to extant personnel in the RAF in the affected trades and branches (including GDP); what isn't clear is whether the RAF will continue to recruit non-UK nationals because of access restrictions to 'composite coalition material'. Bearing in mind the uncontrolled distribution of this web-site, I suggest 'nuff said on this issue.

Recommendation: Marry a Brit!

Stray Fin
14th Nov 2003, 03:17
To support Bad Company and Euro Crash's bit, the UK policy has appeared to have changed in recent times.
I (a Kiwi mud-mover) got a letter a few weeks back from those that push pens to say the RAF record's showed that I lacked UK citizenship. According to the letter I had the option of not signing up to fast-track nationality. The consequences of this would have been that my security clearance would need to be lowered and I would not be eligible for certain overseas deployments!!
Having spent a large portion of the year away in s#@*y holes.... I thought this sounded great! Degrade my clearance!!
Unfortunately, I have dual citizenship and I reluctantly pointed this out to the all-seeing and ever-aware administrative empire.
I wish I'd kept the letter as it had clarifying remarks on the latest policy and may have been of use to you. No doubt someone out there will have a copy...

Pass-A-Frozo
14th Nov 2003, 10:26
Wow, what's the world coming too?

The United States of America setting United Kingdom Armed Forces recruiting policy!!

:yuk:

BEagle
14th Nov 2003, 14:11
Mate - if the British 'policy' has been changed recently as some would suggest, write a polite letter to Her Majesty asking why you, as a loyal Commonwealth citizen, are being treated in this way.

Just because that slimy sycophant in Downing Street is so keen on licking Bush's bottom, that shouldn't deny you your rights as a Commonwealth citizen.

European Crash
14th Nov 2003, 14:13
Pass-a-Frozo

Who said that it was the US setting peronnel policy? According to one US source, the RAF have been overzealous in the application of this guidance. Similar policies have not been applied to the UK Army and RN!

s70a9
15th Nov 2003, 03:24
Its true. I am about to travel to Paris to become a brit. Mind you, I get to keep my OZ passport, still the matter is a bit strange. If you don't have brit passport you can't get it. True story from PMA and a very good contact of mine who told me about what was going on. Sorry mate. ry the RN or AAC and then slide over. The problem then is joining the line.

Blacksheep
16th Nov 2003, 09:10
Although the RAF accepts Commonwealth Citizens, its the Home Office that decides if you're permitted to enter and remain in the country and you'll have to enter UK using Johnny Foreigner's entrance, regardless of where your GGGGrandad came from. Its going to be another of those vexing immigration questions unless you serve permanently overseas. Annoying isn't it?

I was well into my own service when I applied for a passport and was informed that I was actually a South African illegal immigrant. The Royal Navy had smuggled me in through Portsmouth on a troopship with my Mum. Since South Africa wasn't a Commonwealth country I wasn't even a Commonwealth Citizen but it hadn't bothered the recruiting people at the time. I suppose I could have taken off my uniform and walked if I wished but an oath is an oath, What? So I did the decent thing and claimed British Citizenship by descent. Only one's Grandfather qualifies though - further back than that and you're too foreign to become one of the chosen people.

Through difficulties to the cinema

covec
19th Nov 2003, 03:09
Bigdog1971 - just curious - why do you want to join the UK Forces?

Good luck, whatever.

FEBA
19th Nov 2003, 03:32
Bigdog 1971
On condition that the wallabies loose this Saturday, Im sure your application will be fully approved.
Best of British to you
FEBA