PDA

View Full Version : 2 passports in oz

the road atlas
13th Nov 2003, 05:02
I heard on the grape vine that the aust govie people are making Australians give up their aussie passport if they get another countries one, basiclly making it impossibke for duel passports. Anyone else heard this?

Icarus2001
13th Nov 2003, 06:19
http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/dualnat.html

Hasselhof
13th Nov 2003, 07:15
"I demand satisfaction! Choose your weapon!"

"Passports at 10 paces you Australian Government type infidel!"

slice
13th Nov 2003, 08:33
Some time ago when having dealings with the Department there was a notice posted advising that for people becoming Aus citizens from certain countries (slightly more than 20 listed including USA, Japan + alot of Asia) the Department would inform that nation of the fact that you had become an Aus citizen. These nations have laws prohibiting dual citizenship and there is some agreement between Aus and these countries to advise each other of respective nationals becoming citizens. Don't know about the other way around but I thought Aus was fairly lassez-faire about this sort of thing.

TheNightOwl
13th Nov 2003, 09:47
I'm not aware of any changes since I sought Aus nationality, but I was told at the time that the Aus government has no mandate to demand single-nation passport holding. There are most certainly other nations which prohibit dual nationality, e.g. USA, but we are fortunate here in that our government is happy to permit dual nationality. I am a citizen of Aus as well as the UK, a handy situation on the very rare occasion I need to visit there.

There have been some on this forum who would demand single nationality for any Aussie, they seem to think that holding dual passports implies a lesser commitment to Australia. I can't imagine why, there's nowhere on Earth I'd rather live!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. :ok:

redsnail
13th Nov 2003, 14:01
Untill recently if you wanted to get a (let's say) UK passport because you had married a Brit then you had to give up your Australian passport. The Australian govt had no dramas about an Australian holding a UK passport if s/he was entitled to it through patriality (eg Dad was a Brit).
I believe the law changed about 2 years ago on that ruling.

flying_phonebox
13th Nov 2003, 15:19
In my humble opinion i believe this to be cr@p......

I currently hold both US and Oz passports and have had no problems leaving one country on one and entering other country with the other. Sure you get odd looks handing over your US details and greeting them with a "g'day" but in the end had no problems!

slice
13th Nov 2003, 15:31
BIK - it's in the pledge of allegiance blah blah blah .... and foresake all others ..... blah blah blah or something like that.:p

druglord
13th Nov 2003, 20:09
how it works with the USA ... you can be a US citizen and get dual elsewhere, however it's not reciprocated. If you were an aussie citizen you'd have to revoke aussie before you get american. sux i know.
slice....sounds like wedding vows not pledge of allegiance

slice
14th Nov 2003, 09:15
Druggie - you're right but after much googling about I dug it up. It is actually the OATH of allegiance

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

That first bit seems to imply that you have to give up any other citizenship to become a US citizen but if you are born one that might be different case. Anyone know ?

druglord
14th Nov 2003, 09:25
I'm sorry slice, you're obviously right, i was thinking of the pledge of allegiance to the flag, which is a little different and shorter.

flying_phonebox
14th Nov 2003, 18:17
Fark! If the cash is right i will be prepared to marry for the share-age of US citizenship......

Please forward all donations in hard currency to your local MAF office

RYAN TCAD
18th Nov 2003, 12:58
Try 3 - born in Aus with Dad a yank and Mum a Kiwi.

I effectively make up the ANZUS Treaty!!!

Bo!

Gees a poet and i didn't even know it!!!

Tinstaafl
18th Nov 2003, 19:27
I have Oz & UK citizenship & passports. My fiancee is American and we've decided to base ourselves there. That means I'll end up with US residency/green card added to the collection.

MAXX
20th Nov 2003, 14:13
dont know where you heard that load of BullS**T from mate,ive got 3 passports all from different countries(british,aust,canada).

ive had my aust for about 12 years,my british for 3 years and my canadian for 2 years and noone has asked me to hand any of them back.

someone is winding you up.

cheers