PDA

View Full Version : Tech help reading threads

Fox6
13th Nov 2003, 02:57
If any one could help me, I would appreciate it. I enjoy reading the threads on this site, however my computer setting or something must be off. Quite often the threads start in the middle of my screen and I have to actually scroll to the far right of the screen just to read one sentence then scroll back left to start the next. It is kind of a pain and if there is something that I can do to see the whole thread on one screen without scrolling , please let me know.

thanks
F6

Gomer Pylot
13th Nov 2003, 04:21
Assuming you're using IE (the default, courtesy of Mr Gates), click on View, Text Size, and make it smaller. That's the first & most obvious thing to try.

RDRickster
13th Nov 2003, 04:28
F6,

I'm not sure if I can help you, especially without knowing what operating system you are using. Nevertheless, it sounds like your screen resolution should be increased to accomodate this website.

Each website is designed for a specific screen resolution. Newer technologies allow for websites to be more adaptive with respect to presentation resolution, but depending on the audience (dial-up or corporate broadband customers) - it may not be practical.

For example, some websites will say "best viewed using Internet Explorer 5.01 or later at 800 x 600." It can say almost anything or nothing... in all cases, it depends on how the site was designed. Therefore, this is a SWAG and may not help you...

1) RIGHT CLICK anywhere on your desktop
2) LEFT CLICK "Properties"
3) Click the "Settings" tab of the "Display Properties" dialogue box
4) Change the "Screen Resolution" to something "More"

These are very general directions, but should work if you are using one of Uncle Bill's products. Depending on your operating system, things might be slightly different... but you should get the general idea. A change in display settings may require you to reboot your computer.

A CHANGE IN THESE SETTINGS COULD MAKE YOUR SYSTEM UNREADABLE ON YOUR CURRENT COMPUTER MONITOR IF YOUR SYSTEM IS OLDER AND YOUR VIDEO CARD CAN'T HANDLE IT (GOES BLACK). THEREFORE, ONLY MAKE "TEMPORARY" CHANGES AND TRY THEM OUT SLOWLY... & DON'T HOLD ME RESPONSIBLE!!!

R2

Fox6
13th Nov 2003, 04:48
rd and goymer, I already tried those ideas, I'm using Netscape at 600x800. I tried increasing to the larger size but it still doesn't work right. My home computer is IE and it causes the text to wrap around correctly. This is my work computer and they don't allow me to use any other browser.
Any more ideas?

RDRickster
13th Nov 2003, 05:23
If you are limited to Netscape Navigator, make sure you have the most recent version. Go to http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp for the most recent copy. If that doesn't help you (and I doubt it will), you should contact your System Administrator at work and tell him you need better access to PPRuNe! :hmm: