PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL / ATP - Top Tips please

Snakecharmer
12th Nov 2003, 23:45
Can anyone help with some 'good gen'?

I've got a UK (JAR) CPL and 2000+ hrs (all SEP) but, for a variety of reasons, I'm likely to need an FAA licence to run in parallel. Any top tips on how to go about it and, more particularly, any recommendations on where in the USA would be good to do the flying in January. Yes, I know there's places in the UK that'll do it, but might as well get a trip out of it at the same time...

One character mentioned doing the FAA ATP exams, then a couple of trips to get FAA PPL, followed by a couple of days for FAA commercial - accurate?

Thanks

dorosenco
13th Nov 2003, 03:06
Snakecharmer,

If you have enough hours I would go for the FAA ATP directly instead of taking the CPL/ME/IR route. Make sure that your hours meet the FAA requirements, try my website www.passion2fly.com -> Flight Training -> FAA ATP.

Few good things about FAA ATP:
- one written test
- one flight test
- no PPL conversion required
- no VISA required because you don't need flight training nor instructor endorsments for ATP, even though I suggest to get some flight training since you don't seem to have any multi-engine experience.

bad things about FAA ATP:
- much harder than JAA IR (higher standards)
- harder written test (but feasible)
- need to meet the FAA hour requirements (in details !)

If you choose to do the CPL/ME/IR route few good things:
- lower hours requirements
- easier written tests
- easier flight tests

bad things about FAA CPL/ME/IR:
- 2 written tests (CPL+IR)
- 1 or maybe 2 flight tests if you want SE and ME priviledges or "unrestricted" IR
- requires initial PPL conversion

Again, try my website www.passion2fly.com -> FAA conversions for details on PPL conversion, paperwork, etc ... I've been doing that with JAA pilots for quite a while now ...

good luck my friend ...
:ok: