PDA

View Full Version : Another Mystery Plane Quiz

seacue
12th Nov 2003, 22:18
Another mystery plane (http://users.erols.com/rcarpen/anphib.JPG) for you experts.

I'll give up if it is identified within the first few views.....:(

SC

Bus429
12th Nov 2003, 22:33
Looks a just bit like a Grumman JF2 but not quite.

seacue
12th Nov 2003, 22:36
This is a quiz. I know the answer.

It's not a Grumman.

SC

John (Gary) Cooper
12th Nov 2003, 22:40
A Heath Robinson MkIV Plough?:rolleyes:

Dop
12th Nov 2003, 22:56
I don't know what it is, but I'll have some of whatever the designer was smoking...

Aerohack
12th Nov 2003, 22:57
It's the 1932 Loening XO2L-2 prototype. Not so far out though, Bus429. Leroy Grumman worked with Grover Loening on the OL- series, and carried his experience over to the JF/J2F Ducks, early versions of which replaced Loenings in U.S. Navy and Coast Guard service. The bloodline is easy to see.

Don't give up, Seacue. Keep 'em coming!

seacue
12th Nov 2003, 23:08
I shouldn't have given the hint that t wasn't a Grumman.

LeRoy Grumman was plant manager for Loening and Leon Swirbul was personnel manager for Loening. When Loening sold out to Keystone they quit and formed Grumman and ran it as a duo for the rest of their lives. It is said they shared an office all during this period.

Grumman had been a naval aviator and graduate of MIT. Swirbul worked at the Army Air Corps Engineering Divison in Dayton. Both had assignments to deal with Loening - and he hired them both.

See Loening's "The Story of the Loening Biplane" (1973) ISBN 0-8212-0474-2 and various web sites about the Grumman Corp.

SC

JDK
13th Nov 2003, 00:03
Hi all,
No! Please don't give up! I want a go and I was too late for this one.

Great planes by Mr Loening. Wasn't it pertanant that Loening had patented the "I've a big single boot for alighting on" configuration and Grumman inherited it for the Duck and Columbia J2F6 (ish)?

Thanks for the extra facts Seacue. I just love those Grumman amphibs - best in the world, but overshadowed by the noisy fighter thingys the company made.

Though in Canada I discovered if you say 'Grumman' everyone looks sage and says: "Yup, great canoes..."

Cheers
James K

Bus429
13th Nov 2003, 14:01
So, do I get any points?

seacue
14th Nov 2003, 03:28
Bus429
=============
So, do I get any points?
=============

Maybe a few. I chose that Loening because it looked so much like the Grumman - which is far better known.

Most of the Loenings had water-cooled engines, but they didn't look as much like the eventual Grumman.

What say .... how many points should we award Bus?

SC