PDA

View Full Version : fuzzy picture

muppet
12th Nov 2003, 20:43
Is it just me!

On the pprune site the small print is really hard to read, it appears fuzzy. On other sites it is ok so I do not think I am going blind.

A couple on months ago I changed screen to a flat screen.

Is anyone else having this problem?

fobotcso
12th Nov 2003, 21:01
Bless you, no! ;) My (CRT) monitor is as good/bad as ever. But I can hear them laughing up in the Mil Forum from here and imagine their ribald suggestions.

Can you go back to the earlier monitor for a comparison? It would seem that the problem is with your new monitor and, if it is a "low-cost" monitor, it is not all that surprising.

Care to give the make/model of the two monitors and details of your graphics card and settings?

Lear_doctor
12th Nov 2003, 21:02
Don't know if this helps but I have a flat screen and had to put the resolution up to 1280X1024 to ensure all the 'fuzziness' was removed.

I'm sure your aware how to do this but if not.

RH click your mouse anywhere on the desktop and select Properties, the extreme RH tab (settings) is what you need on the new window that appears. The bit you need to adjust is in the bottom RH corner.

I'm sure the men and women with a talent for this stuff will help resolve the problem if this fails.

Regards

The Doc

muppet
13th Nov 2003, 00:49
Thanks for the replies.

Had a go at changing the resolution but still was not perfect, so I have changed it back to the original settings.

I shall have a go at swaping back to the old CRT tomorrow.

Yes it was a cheapie Vizitron L5AK6 £189.

Spoke to Office World and they were very helpful, willing to swap it but they do not do them anymore. Spoke to Vizitron in Germany and they appear to be happy to change it so if it truly is purly a monitor problem (see above) I shall get back to them.

Thanks again.

Tinstaafl
13th Nov 2003, 00:57
Two things come to mind:

1. Check the vertical refresh rate setting. 60Hz is usually the one for LCD screens.

2. Disable WinXP's 'ClearType' screen font smoothing.

I had to correct both these things on a work colleague's new flat screen equipped PC to fix screen blurriness. What's most annoying is that it wasn't already set by the factory.

shaky
13th Nov 2003, 04:15
Go here http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm?gssnb=1
and activate cleartype. Worked a treat for me on a cheapie flat screen.

PPRuNe Towers
13th Nov 2003, 06:35
Ummmm, we're never slow to own up to cock ups here at the Towers but we're not holding our hands up to this one:O :O

Your browser settings control the font your seeing and your system gives you the quality - or not.

We transmit generic text and your browser translates it into a system font with 'hinting' or other tricks to make it look better on your monitor. Our web pages send data suggesting 3 possible fonts if present on your computer unless you've selected another from your preferences.

The only case where we could be responsible is within any text in a bitmapped block graphic - working with a 22 inch flat screen I'd probably see and act on anything fuzzy long before the average PPRuNer:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Regards
Rob

PS If your monitor lead isn't captive try swapping it. They do make a real difference to the quality of images. Just like hi fi err, the sound I mean.....

fobotcso
13th Nov 2003, 18:25
Muppet, we still don't know enough about your setup to aim at the right spot so the suggested solutions are following the scatter-gun principle.

Assuming you are using Internet Explorer as the browser, you could improve matters, even if only temporarily, by going to:

View>Text Size>Larger. When my old eyes are tired, this does make the screen easier to read.

muppet
14th Nov 2003, 01:51
Yes, I found the 'simple' answer at www.slapthewife.com.

Beloved had been trying to 'squeeze' more on a page by changing the text size under View, as pointed out by fobotcso.

This is not the first time 'oooooooh I've broken the internet again'

I know you can buy parental control for internet use but it would appear I need muppet wife control.

Anyway all is well now .......thanks for the help.

Divorce should take about 6 months if I plead mental cruelty.

fobotcso
14th Nov 2003, 02:22
:) Thanks for making us smile!

By the way, "slapthewife.com" is available as a domain name if you want it; I checked.