PDA

View Full Version : Another Dark Day In Aberdeen

Crashondeck
12th Nov 2003, 20:26
Today's Press and Journal reports that 200 jobs to go from CHC companies in Europe. Company restructuring, centralising management etc etc usual excuse. No details on who or where although a further 80 jobs to go in Aberdeen next summer, presumably when the BP contract goes to Bond.

Any more news on the grapevine?

Oil companies messing around with the lives of those who actually make the NS work again.

zalt
15th Nov 2003, 18:30
So far this story has only run in the local P&J and Evening News - which suggests either a leak or it is nonsense.

I'm guessing its not complete rubbish. Although CHC were able to anounce at 30% increase in dividends to their shareholders last week - it does seem credible because:
a The CHC Europe conncept has rumbled on for some time
b Some senior managers in Norway and Scotland have resigned this year allegedly in connection with these plans
c North Sea flying is generally down (CHC's European revenue and flying hours were both down about 5% in the last quarter over the same period last year, with exploration linked flying down one-third)
d Bond's reentry is not far off
e Unlike BHL's situation, almost none of CHC's operations in the growth non-European markets are run by Scotia or HKS - so the effect of a North Sea downturn is even stronger.

Plus there was a management/union meeting two days before the story emerged favouring a leak.

What really suprises me is that after a 7 day, 42 reply, 3389 views feeding frenzy over one set of (admittedly confirmed) job cuts this post has sat here without raising a comment.

Thomas coupling
15th Nov 2003, 19:27
Probably, Zalt, because if one considers the impact of about 10-15 pilots losing their jobs in a tiny sector of the globe, compared to the cross section of visitors on rotorheads..
it is about <5% of the helicopter industry??

Would you agree?

Interesting reading but just a blip on the horizon for everyone else. [Maybe I'm being a bit too hard??].

zalt
15th Nov 2003, 23:44
So TC, you would consider that the North Sea, in PPRuNe Rotorhead terms, is 'a tiny sector of the globe'?

Its still 150000 hours of operation by some of the (arguably) highest paid crews in the world. The numerous threads regarding the potential of jobs with one new North Sea operator with just 6 aircraft and demonstrates a high level of interest surely?

Repeating my earlier point, 15 redundancies at one operator did spark a big debate two weeks ago, while strangely this press report of proposed 50% bigger job cut and far more dramatic reorganisation at another 2 causes hardly a ripple.

Have Scotia and HKS staff been warned to stay off PPRuNe?

Helinut
16th Nov 2003, 05:29
I think it is sad to see any Rotorheads lose their hard won jobs. But TC should remember that even police pilots use the NS salaries to help support their submissions for pay rises ...........

MaxNg
16th Nov 2003, 16:18
Zalt

I have not heard of any pprune embargo and would ignore it anyhow.

It makes me wonder who leaked out the story to the "press and Journal" as it seems to be that "2oo Jobs to go" is deliberatly exagerated, so when the actual figure is release it appears that this could have been much worse and therfore becomes less of an issue.

That is unless it's your Job:mad:

MD900 Explorer
16th Nov 2003, 22:01
Zalt

I know for a fact that the CHC in Aberdeen and CHC in Stavanger Norway, are merging their purses. The CFO for CHC in Europe will be based in Aberdeen.

Sad Times for the boys up there. Hang in there :ok:

MD 900

zalt
18th Nov 2003, 00:58
MD900 Explorer

Coincidentally I heard a story today that the same would happen to both line maintenance (like Astec and base maintenance) and maintenance management (with one post holder for both operators).

Can I assume the Norwegians are revolting?
{so so sorry for the pun}

MD900 Explorer
18th Nov 2003, 03:14
More streamlining and less job certainty.......looks like there is a big shake up happening in CHC.. :ouch:

It's check your contract time.....

MD900

(Most of the Norwegians i have met are definitly not revolting and are infact quite fit... if you know what i mean :ok: )