PDA

View Full Version : Changing of Vor freq to ILS freq

slizer58
12th Nov 2003, 07:19
I would like to clarify on the the changing of the VOR frequency to the ILS freq during a procedural VOR/ILS Instrument Approaches. When do we do the changes? Is the ILS freq selected on both the HP & NHP Nav during outbound in the procedure turn or does the HP's Nav is selected to ILS freq and the NHP's Nav remaining on VOR during the procedure turn.
What if we are carrying a non-procedural approach i.e intercepting the ILS approach on long finals?How are the Navs set up?:O :O

Gomer Pylot
12th Nov 2003, 12:40
I don't know if there is one answer to this. It depends on your aircraft setup, and on the actual procedure. I prefer to navigate to the VOR using GPS, and have the localizer frequency in both navs. That way I know I'll get the localizer and glideslope, and I won't forget to switch, or have the wrong frequency presented on the wrong HSI. Outbound, I set the GPS to the OM, with the inbound course set, to give me both distance from the OM and from the localizer. Since GPS came along, I seldom use the VORs for anything other than flying an ILS. The DME can be handy at times, if you need distance to something other than the destination set on the GPS. In the U.S., even the ADF is becoming useless, as more and more ILS approaches have the LOM removed. The main thing I see it used for nowadays is listening to AM talk radio.