PDA

View Full Version : Britannia Renaming?

Sagey
10th Nov 2003, 21:30
Is it true that Britannia has/will be rebranded Thomson?.

Not read anything about it on these boards as of yet.

Sagey

Ballymoss
10th Nov 2003, 21:43
Have a look here (http://www.ttglive.com/News/newfsarticle.php?AId=320)

Rgds
The Moss

bacardi walla
11th Nov 2003, 00:17
It is thought to be considering a niche operation from airports including Coventry, Cambridge and Birmingham.

Cambridge ????

Simon Lumley
11th Nov 2003, 17:09
Travel Trade Gazette and teletext sources say that Britannia/Thomson's new low-cost arm, which is likely to be entitled Thomson Express,will be based at either Birmingham (BHX) or East Midlands Airports (EMA).

Their emphasis is to operate like MyTravelLite, and criss-cross flights between its low-cost operation and charter airline. Therefore, they would have to choose a base in the, "heart of England" which has a BY base - either BHX or EMA.

2x Boeing 737s will be based initially, with more to follow. Tickets apparently will go on sale next March in time for an Easter 2004 launch. Destinations are likely to be in the mediterranean initially.

So, where could they launch from East Midlands?

Tenerife; Reus; Gerona; Almeria; Lyon; Salzburg; Vienna; Alicante; Malaga; Palma; Mahon; Tenerife; Arrecife; Paphos; Larnaca; Bilbao; Faro; Madrid; Naples.

Notice how if they launched from EMA that they may not be in competition with BMIBaby or Easyjet.

What about from Birmingham?

Reus; Vienna; Paphos; Mahon; Naples; Bilbao.

The other routes are currently operated by other airlines based at BHX.

So, is EMA the most likely base then? YES...YES...YES...YES

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

carlos vandango
11th Nov 2003, 17:53
forget Paphos and Larnaca for a start.

super aviator
11th Nov 2003, 18:58
TUI UK is re-branding its Britannia Airways fleet as Thomson as part of a move to grow its seat-only business. Re-painting work will begin in November and we expect 18 aircraft to be completed with the new look by the end of this year.
Thomson is an extremely powerful brand and we need to maximise it. The smile logo already connects the Lunn Poly, Britannia and Thomson businesses but it’s crucial that we go one step further so we can compete in a rapidly evolving market. Our intention is to grow our flight-only business and we feel it’s crucial to do this using the power of the Thomson brand. We want customers to have a clear understanding that Thomson is the leading holiday company in the UK and that we can cater for all their travel needs whether it’s a one way flight to Malaga or a five star, all-inclusive holiday to the Maldives.

We have already started advertising our flight-only deals under the thomsonflights.co.uk name so this is a natural progression. Although Thomson is regarded as the most trusted brand in travel we need to do all we can to keep public awareness ahead of our competitors, especially since so many new brands have entered the UK market over the last few years. It makes much more sense from a marketing point of view to put money behind promoting one single company.

The Britannia name will not disappear. The business name remains and staff will continue to work for Britannia Airways. The re-branding will evolve gradually and will be introduced with minimum wastage and cost. There are no plans to re-brand the Lunn Poly retail chain.

jetstream7
11th Nov 2003, 19:04
It may be correct and only time will tell this, but a report in TTG is not the same as a confirmation from Britannia / Thomson / TUI or whatever they're called this week of an actual launch.... so this thread needs a different name, and as we've already got a thread on this subject, perhaps it could be merged? ............................................. and it was...so thanks mods...

jetstream7
11th Nov 2003, 19:39
Don't see why we need another thread as there is one running elsewhere on this subject... and especially one that seems to be regurgitating a press release (uncredited)

Anyway, why 'Britannia no more!' - as you post ?

The following statement is made within it...

"The Britannia name will not disappear. The business name remains and staff will continue to work for Britannia Airways. "

So Britannia will continue to exist.

... though I agree there it is clear there are changes in the way the brand is to be presented...

MerchantVenturer
11th Nov 2003, 21:26
As someone who has never worked in the airline or travel business but who has an interest (though not an obsessive one) in civil aviation, I may speak for many 'ordinary' customers, as I am a regular traveller with charter, 'full service' (sometimes a misnomer) and low cost/no frills airlines.

In recent years we have seen the Thomas Cook group go through a series of re-naming its airline, My Travel doing the same and First Choice about to do so. This has all been accompanied by re-painting the aircraft or at least re-painting that part that announces the airline.

Now we have the name Britannia Airways (well-known and well loved by two generations of leisure travellers) apparently becoming subservient to the name 'Thomson' in the naming of the airline. I say 'apparently' because it seems all rather uncertain.

Why do they do it? It only confuses the average traveller. The re-branding must also cost lots of money in all sorts of ways.

Only the other day someone, knowing I have a general interest in aviation, asked me what had happened to the airline Airtours. I told him he had flown with them in the summer, except they are now My Travel Air (Airlines, Airways - has that changed as well?)

What next - O'Leary operated by Ryanair? Eddington operated by British Airways?