PDA

View Full Version : FlyBe plans new hub for 2004

Simon Lumley
11th Nov 2003, 16:32
Flybe has admitted plans for a new base in Scotland or northern England to be announced, "in the first four or five months of next year".

So, where could it be?

Newcastle? Teesside? Glasgow Intl? Edinburgh? Aberdeen? Inverness? Carlisle? Humberside?

Source: Travel Trade Gazette - 3rd November 2003.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

serko
11th Nov 2003, 16:45
if so the airport is expected to open at the end of next year, so an announcm,ent in the first 4 months of next year could tie in.

ALLMCC
11th Nov 2003, 17:45
Thought Flybe already had a base at NCL - in fact, posts not so long ago suggested that they were considering closing this - also is Glasgow not a current base?

carlos vandango
11th Nov 2003, 17:48
as is EDI and ABZ used to be..and I can't see them going back up there. How about BLK?

oscarh
11th Nov 2003, 18:06
Not ANOTHER new Flybe hub?
When will they make up their minds?

Lite
11th Nov 2003, 23:50
Just an opinion but I wouldnt be surprised if they chose to start the new low cost airline. I do know that the airline is in talks with a low cost airline having spoken to some people there, however whether this is an existing airline or a start up I really dont know.

I think HUY would be a good choice. Its one of the few big regional airports with little scheduled service either by a major or a lo-co.

MD11FAN
12th Nov 2003, 01:32
HUY HUY HUY HUY HUY please. This airport is ideal for a low cost airline..good catchment area within 1 hr drive(Hull/Sheffield/Doncaster/Lincoln/Grimsby etc) and good road connections.(M180 Only 2 miles away) Current scheduled services are limited to KLM to AMS and Eastern to ABZ. I am amazed that Ryanair have ignored it. They could call it Hull South, Sheffield East etc etc

dwlpl
12th Nov 2003, 03:52
I nominate Liverpool.

With the obvious exception of easyJet, some airline will fall lucky when they start to fly from here, particularly domestic routes.

Liverpool has no domestic routes apart from a BFS (the biggest UK domestic route that does not fly to a London airport) and IOM (the biggest route into the island) services. This together with the worst rail connections you could imagine will make an idel base for flybe.

BTW, Liverpool is due to open up, in February 2004, a new apron and a new link/pier to an extended terminal.

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Nov 2003, 17:39
Surely to launch a successful low cost airline you need a clean sheet of paper, one fleet of 150+ seat twinjets, a single out-and-back base, flexible and cheap employment contracts, low head office costs and contracted out support services? And you needed to do that some years ago.

Engineering some kind of free publicity by having a wide boy Greek, a loud mouth cattle trading Irishman or a classy female American CEO is also a distinct advantage in getting your brand known... Nice chap that Jim French is I don't see it somehow.

Cheers

VMBE
17th Nov 2003, 20:39
I think Coventry would make an excellent hub for Flybe. CVT has a good runway length for all Flybe aircraft (Dash 8/146). Stick a nice new shiney terminal in there and its perfect.

Its all very well people talking about companies like Britannia and the like coming to Cov but I just can't see it myself. The runway length (1615m) is a bit short for a big jet. Its OK for a half empty 737 on a cold night but you wait till they have a full load, a light wind and a hot summers afternoon! I've never flown the 737 but I reckon they'd be struggleing to make the performance figures fit. Perhaps some 737 drivers would like to comment on this (or indeed correct me if i'm wrong).

CVT for Flybe gets my vote.
;) ;) ;)

WHBM
17th Nov 2003, 21:22
I remember FlyBe (or whatever it was called then) introducing their "big new hub" a few years ago at London City.

Look at what's left. Two routes and a handful of flights by the smallest aircraft in the fleet.

Finningley will be good for somebody but FlyBe don't have the right set of destinations. EasyJet seem to have the best fit for there (even though it will cannibalise East Midlands to some degree), Ryanair following some way behind.

dada
17th Nov 2003, 22:01
you're all wrong - it's to be BLK. For those not old enough to remember, this company originated there as Spacegrand which
belonged to Jack Walker before he bought the clapped out old jea. just like the song says..........going back to my roots, yeh

bagpiper
17th Nov 2003, 22:38
I think this could well be Blackpool perhaps. They do a bit of flying from there now, so that would seem logical maybe.

ecj
17th Nov 2003, 22:52
Where ever they chose, it will hopefully mean opportunities for additional aircrew. Good for junior birdmen on the food chain - as it starts to move.

Nobody has mentioned Carlisle which was on the original post ? Just awaiting resurfacing and strengthening of 07/25 in the not too distant.

And then......

bagpiper
17th Nov 2003, 23:14
Carlisle is owned by some multi millionaire Irishman who is apparantly interested in setting up a low cost airline operating to just about every corner of the UK and Ireland. Dont think it will be here for FlyBe!!

MEFLYBE
18th Nov 2003, 02:17
My money would be on Norwich, Humberside or Blackpool! Personally I think it will be Humberside.

Regards

Mike