PDA

View Full Version : Getting BacK into it

Dee
11th Nov 2003, 11:36
This has probably been done in the past, as i have read a few topics similar, and i understand that the real answer lies in the person who persists and believes it can and makes it happen, but I writing to hear from others or from those with advice or opinions.

Basic senario, completed training and worked in GA for about 2-3 years logged 1200 total 100 multi have a few multi endorsements and in excess of 100 night hours, left GA for a nice paying job overseas (6 figure salary - not in IT) but now the contract has ended after 3 years and i miss Oz to much. I have the funds behind me to do whatever. Im on the verge of 30 with the limited time mentioned, is in unrealistic to get back in the seat and aim for airlines? I will try no matter what, just after feedback, good or bad.

I also have an option in ATC pending an interview. obviously i wont base my decision on this forums response, just good to hear from others in the industry. I will have to consider family and will talk with others in ATC and GA etc. Whatever i choose i will commit.

EngineOut
11th Nov 2003, 12:46
Dee,

I think you should give it a go! You have a fairly solid foundation (in the 1200hrs and 100night), with a bit of recency flying to gete you up to speed, why not give it a shot. You are also bring with you a few years of business experience (if that is what you were doing) in to the industry which would be valuable to any company.

Dee
11th Nov 2003, 13:25
Thanks for the response, I was also considering the defence force (flying of course), having past military service myself, but once again this is just an option and my decision for that relies on family responsibilities.

My experience abroad was in the business sector, and i also managed to pick up 2 asian languages, would this be a plus, or not required in Oz?

Also may consider an instructor rating when i return, is this a foolish though. Also concerned what potential employers think about the gap in flying experience, guess it wont matter if i get back up to speed, after all experience is never lost.

splatgothebugs
11th Nov 2003, 13:46
I know I few pilots who are ATC and do jump flying and other stuff, bloody good lifestyle and you get the very best of both worlds.

However if flying is want, with your time you shouldn't have much trouble getting back into it (its like riding a bike).

Whatever you decide make sure its exactly what you want.

Best of luck and enjoy ;)

QNIM
11th Nov 2003, 14:38
Gday Dee
If Chinese is one of the languages, you should have no trouble getting a job instructing with those schools who train Chinese coz they can't speak English.
Cheers Q :O :O

Dee
12th Nov 2003, 07:09
That would be an experience, teaching people to fly using the chinese language only, :ooh:

I would be employed as an inflight translator not an instructor, hahaha:O

MAXX
13th Nov 2003, 07:03
DEE,

dont give up if it is really what you want,i didnt have my CPL until i was 27 and my first 1000 hrs until i was 31.

im now 37 and although ive not made it to an airline(mostly because that was not my aim)i have nearly 6000 hrs with over 4000hrs multi command 2 crew turbine and now flying a business jet here in oz.

alot of doors knocked and most closed in my face,a million phone calls and resume's,about another million k's travelled but persistence does eventually pay off.

a little bird once told me "IF YOU WANT SOMETHING BAD ENOUGH YOU CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN".

Dee
13th Nov 2003, 09:48
Thanks for the replies guys, alot of positive encouragement in an industry that is very competitve and hard to crack. It is what I want and i will persue it until it is mine. words written above in the posts, are what everyone needs in the industry as so people dont loose hope and keep trying!!!