PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Radar

On Track
11th Nov 2003, 11:05
While driving along the Great Western Highway between Mount Victoria and Blackheath today, I noticed a radar installation in a commanding position on the western side of the road.

Can anyone tell me if this is an ATC facility?

(Fortunately didn't encounter any of those pesky little mobile radars that often infest our highways)

Waste Gate
11th Nov 2003, 11:31
Pretty sure it's the Mt Boyce radar site.

IORRA
11th Nov 2003, 11:43
I'll second that - have seen the abovementioned from the train between Blackheath and Sydney. It's SSR only if I'm not mistaken, and as the only two such sites in the Sydney region are at MBOY and YSSY, I'd say it's most certainly the former.

IORRA

On Track
12th Nov 2003, 07:56
Thanks for the replies.

Pass-A-Frozo
12th Nov 2003, 10:12
A few Blackheath people here. I don't suppose you know how long it takes to get to Richmond from Blackheath?? Thinking of moving .

PAF :cool:

dogcharlietree
12th Nov 2003, 11:05
The other day, whilst on a ferry coming into Circular Quay (Sydney), I noticed a radar on top of one of the high rise buildings.
Is this for ATC or water traffic?

AD/DUNNY/01
12th Nov 2003, 12:26
Pass-A, mate expect at least 50 minutes I would guess, from Blackheath probably cut through Mt Vic to Bell then down Bells Line to Richmond so yeah probably about an hour come to think of it.

Pass-A-Frozo
12th Nov 2003, 12:46
Cool. Thanks for that. Whereis.com lists it as considerably longer, but it lists most journeys substantially longer as well. I guess going the Bell way, being in Mount Victoria would be quicker than Blackheath. What's the highest (AMSL) town / suburb up there??

PAF

IORRA
16th Nov 2003, 14:39
Hi dogcharlie

As far as I know, the radar unit atop the AMP Centre tower is part of the Sydney Ports harbour (and approaches) surveillance network. Other similar units are installed on South Head and atop the Sydney Ports 'Control Tower' to the west of the bridge.

IORRA

dogcharlietree
16th Nov 2003, 18:57
Thanks IORRA. Don't get into the big smoke much these days.
Silly question, but I would presume that all Sydney ferries have transponders to make tracking a little easier???