PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure - Friendly advice

Mr Sparkle
11th Nov 2003, 04:17
I've been a regular viewer of most PPRUNE forums, but until tonight, I have never needed to post.
Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a pickle and would appreciate some friendly advice........Any help, however small would be appreciated as I really don't know which way to turn.

To cut a very long story short, here goes....
- PPL obtained a few years ago
- After seeing friends go the way my plan was to continue working, and build hours
- When ready, study part time for ATPL's as well as enjoying time with my family

Here's were it goes pear shaped....
- About 12 months ago, BP was above limits and no matter what I tried to change, lifestyle, diet, exercise my BP was deemed as elevated by GP and CAA.
- I was put on medication and will probably continue for life

My question to anyone is, even though I have a class 1 that allows the use of medication to regulate my BP, what is the likelihood of obtaining a career in aviation that I have always dreamed of ?

Would I be wasting my time and money ? (age is not on my side being 34)

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Nov 2003, 16:10
Hi Mr Sparkle,

Welcome to these shores!

Your post raises the following issues (if I read it correctly!)

1. Am I more likely to lose my ticket due to BP problems later on?

Most people with controlled BP will continue to be controlled or controllable even if that may require an adjustment of your treatment.

The aim of the treatment is to lower your BP to those levels which will reduce your risk of the complications of raised BP to that of the background (i.e. the same as we all are at risk of in the general population)

2. Will airlines/commercial operators hire me when on BP medication.

Well in principle it should not make any difference. But we all know the vagueries of real life. Nobody will ever admit it but I suspect that if an equally suitable candidate would pitch up they would get the job. Sad but probably true.

Will also depend on how much difficulty they have in filling their posts!

3. Will I be an interesting proposition @ age 34+ for an airline/commercial operator.

See under 2.

Furthermore the jobmarket is at the moment not brilliant or so I have been told.

However I firmly believe that you have to do what you think is best for you! No point in having regrets. Get as much information about the options as you can and make a decision with that in hand.

Any decision taken by intelligent folks based on the facts as they are available at the time of the decision, has to be a good one.

OK, hindsight may well judge differently. But for that it is hindsight, and no good to anybody!

Good luck.

FD

Mr Sparkle
11th Nov 2003, 20:30
Hi Flyin'Dutch' ,

Thanks for the reply.....

I knew that sometime I would have to start to take BP medication, because of family history but not so soon.

I would feel really guilty putting my family through major financial turmoil for years even if I had the BP of a marathon runner, but knowing that before I'd even started, people wouldn't judge me as an equal, the bookies odds, I think start to work against me.

I know no-one has a crystal ball and really do believe obstacles can be overcome but is this ball and chain worth taking a gamble on or is it a case of not getting what you want can sometimes be a wonderful stroke of good luck ?

Thanks again for your reply....

Are there any other professionals out there that can offer words of experience, or have a similar problem ? Any support is appreciated........

Gerund
16th Nov 2003, 05:14
You have a Class 1 medical....

Your employer is not entitled to know any more.

You are fit to fly.

Bigscotdaddy
26th Nov 2003, 18:55
Mr. Sparkle

The last post is quite right.

I'm a professional Pilot, and a few weeks ago was advised during my medical that my BP was reaching limits.

The AMC advised me to see my GP and start a (probably permanent) course of treatment to get back to acceptable levels.

He also mentioned that the CAA are quite happy with Pilots with class 1 medicals being on BP medication so long as it works.

Finally, I know my employer has absolutely no problem with the condition either, as I am one among several (and of course, a potential employer only needs know that you have the medical - nothing more).

Re-Heat
22nd Dec 2003, 21:21
I currently have BP regulated by propranolol (a beta blocker), which does not affect the medical. The CAA have simply suspended it until I am stabilised on the drugs, but I doubt you will have a problem.

I had a different situation admittadly, however this is the perspective from the drugs that I am prescribed to lower the BP and heart rate.

wallace fallowfield
27th Dec 2003, 20:00
I had a surprise at a medical in recent past, where the BP was uncharacteristically high.

Mentioned to my Chiropracter who offered that he could adjust T2 and T3 (I think) and that we may see a positive result but no promises.

Two adjustments and two days later, BP is back to normal and has remained so for many months now.

If you have not tried it, give it a go!