PDA

View Full Version : 11th of the 11th

Maxflyer
11th Nov 2003, 01:09
I have two sons, one is ten the other 15 months. The ten year old asked me why I wear a poppy? I tried to explain the meaning behind the poppy and its origins. By the time I had finished he was in tears. I then told him how today men and women still serve and fight for their country and equally die for their country. His idea of conflict is that portrayed on an X Box! He asked me how he could thank the armed services for helping him be safe, so I told him about Pprune and the Military Aircrew forum. So from Sam aged 10 - Thank you all for what you do.

European Crash
11th Nov 2003, 14:09
My 5 year old came home from school heart-broken the other day, having been told that he couldn't wear a poppy, becase the pin might injure someone.

In a US shopping centre on a previous occasion, a check-out assistant commented on the poppy on my lapel. I said that it was being worn for Veterens Day (the US equivalent to Remembrance Day), to remember the war dead. She asked:
"Which war?"
"WW I & II mainly, but all who have died in fighting wars".
"Well, honey, it's great you can join in our celebrations. You know more about it than me."

That would not have been difficult.

Per ardua ad astra

FEBA
11th Nov 2003, 15:24
€crash
The saddest part of your story is that the lady, so ignorant of history past and history being made, probably voted for the man who led the nation into conflict.
:} FEBA