PDA

View Full Version : M@cair flies in New South Wales

Wirraway
11th Nov 2003, 00:30
[email protected]

M@cair flies in New South Wales

M@cair Airlines, Queensland's largest independent regional airline, has taken over the activities of troubled New South Wales regional operator, Horizon Airlines.

M@cair now will operate regular commercial services from Sydney to the north coast destinations of Grafton, Kempsey, Taree and Newcastle and the ski field destination of Cooma, with a fleet of Metro 23 aircraft.

"This outcome will ensure that Grafton, Taree, Newcastle and Cooma will continue to have essential air services, operated by a well established and substantial airline, experienced in flying to regional areas," said Kevin Gill, General Manager of M@cair Airlines.

"M@cair will honour all existing Horizon bookings and promises a service that reflects the on-time reliability for which our airline is renowned.

"With the local community in mind, we will tailor flights to suit regional needs with early morning departures.

"Bookings can be made through Qantas or your travel agent. Online bookings will be available shortly allowing passengers to quickly and simply check available fare and flight options at [email protected]", he said.

M@cair operates services to 33 destinations across Queensland, providing services for outback Queensland, Queensland Government, the mining industry and exclusive resort islands in the northern Great Barrier Reef.

As a Qantas partner, M@cair offers customers seamless access to a wide range of benefits including Qantas frequent flyer points, Qantas Club lounge access, interlining of check-in and baggage.

M@cair commenced business in 1992 now employs 200 people and is a business unit of Transjet Corporation Pty Ltd.
Date: Saturday, 10 November 2003

Further information: Kevin Gill, General Manager, M@cair Airlines Pty Ltd
07 47299444 or 0438 530 970
PO Box 7191 Garbutt Queensland 4814

Released by: Kerry Heaney, Freelance Writer/Editor/Publicist, 07 3366 2839, 0418 875 877

==========================================

Gravox
11th Nov 2003, 07:43
What is going to happen to the HS748s? Will M@cair continue to operate the night frieght with these aircraft, or will the forgo that contract?

And will the Horizon boys and girls keep their postions with the new operator?

Good to see that these regional services will be contiued.

ISHIHARA
11th Nov 2003, 07:46
The main man is down there sortin' it out.
Looks like he is flying South at Midday................

jetstar21
11th Nov 2003, 07:51
Hopefully, being an upmarket airline and passengers will be purchasing an Äirline" ticket to travel and through the Qantas system as well, I presume the aircraft will be fitted with a toilet for passenger comfort to which they are entitled.

Qantas soon moved out of the ex impulse B1900s when a pax had a problem (I won't elaborate here) as the aircraft were not fitted with toilets.

I wonder how many pax would book if they knew the aircraft did not have a toilet on board or would they book with an opposition that did - The question answers itself and hopefully, ****** will address the problem and get with it for which they will surely benefit in the long run.

handrail
11th Nov 2003, 08:24
:confused:
So whats going to happen to all the boys and girls from Horizon? Heard that they may cut back even more than they already have.

What about the 9 that were made redundant at the end of last month? Will they ever be brough back or is it just thanks for letting us screw u over see u later?

Wish all the crew there the best and hope that now that they have managment that should have some idea, things will go well for Horizon.:ok:

Waste Gate
11th Nov 2003, 10:23
Qantas soon moved out of the ex impulse B1900s when a pax had a problem (I won't elaborate here) as the aircraft were not fitted with toilets.

Many of the Impulse 1900s had a lav (18 seat pax + single loo config). It's a shame subject pax found him/her/its self on a 19 seat aircraft.:uhoh: :uhoh:

WG.

SteveJWR
11th Nov 2003, 14:53
I heard all the Horizon crew have to apply for the jobs they are now doin?

What the ???

How dose that work out? Hopefully the current drivers will keep their seats on the flight deck.

Night Watch
11th Nov 2003, 22:10
From a reliable source in AAe..... "We will NEVER use those bucket's of **** beasts again"...... 2 slow, 2 unreliable, 2 expensive! Those are the words of AAe management.

Sad to say the old beasts will never fly night freight (for AAe) again. :(

whogivesa????
12th Nov 2003, 06:51
If it is true that the Horizon pilots have to re-apply for their jobs then the only one to gain form this has been Mac-air.

Though, Mac-air's last attempt into NSW was a dismal failure.

I have been told that REX had plans to take over the Horizon routes if the airline ceased flying. They were prepared to take on many of the current Horizon pilots.

wessex19
12th Nov 2003, 06:58
5 Horizon pilots have already had interviews with REX, most of these guys have been offered a position on their hold file.

On Track
12th Nov 2003, 07:50
It IS true that the remaining Horizon pilots (at least the Metro pilots) are being re-interviewed to see if they keep their jobs.

Don't know what's in store for the 748 pilots because, as I understand it, those freight contracts have already been lost.

CUB
16th Nov 2003, 19:53
As far as Crapair are concerned, nothing happens outside of Townsville. Looks those Horizon pilots will have to do more than fly aircraft.

ISHIHARA
18th Nov 2003, 07:34
Heard a Kiwi the other week having a hard time trying to read back the long complicated read back from ATC, had a couple of attempts with eventual success. Things must be a tad quicker down here in Syd than they are in Townsville.

Johhny Utah
19th Nov 2003, 07:38
whogivesa???? - perhaps the other people to gain out of all of this other than M@cair might be the pilots who would otherwise be unemployed - true enough?

I didn't realise that it was anyones 'right' to a job - particularly when their last employer went under financially. At the end of the day, there would be very few companies (if any) that operate so that pilots can fly around & build up their logbooks - most would probably be looking to make a profit out of operating. Given the circumstances in which they 'picked up' this business, is it too much for them to have some semblance of control over staffing levels & selection...?
:confused:

Just my thoughts...