PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 @ BFS

Optical Illyushin
10th Nov 2003, 23:25
Thought this subject warranted a new thread since the old one appeared to be wandering slightly off topic and becoming quite long.....

Does anyone have inside information with regard to the operation from BFS. I notice from the Jet2 website that it is impossible (right now) to book a flight from BFS to any destination other than LBA even if you select an outbound travel date after the proposed commencement date of 18th of November. Are they limiting the service to LBA at the start maybe? Would also be interested to hear from any of the drivers as to how the life is with them?

Any info appreciated.

ashmac33
10th Nov 2003, 23:46
LBA will be the only route seved from BFS as Jet2 is leeds based!

carlos vandango
10th Nov 2003, 23:50
so why then are they looking for BFS BASED pilots and cabin crew??

Localiser Green
10th Nov 2003, 23:55
Strange decision, since looking at the schedules an aircraft certainly will not nightsop in BFS... :confused:

ALLMCC
11th Nov 2003, 00:03
Could it be because some of their a/c are q/c & could be used for night freight/cargo by Channex? If so, however, would that not mean an a/c would have to position in from elsewhere presumably Leeds? All very mysterious!

Optical Illyushin
11th Nov 2003, 00:08
ALLMCC ya beat me to it by a fanny's whisker

hehe.... ashmac yer a bit too quick off the mark for your own good! Indeed Jet2 ARE looking to recruit BFS based pilots and this is the reason for my enquiry.

Localiser - are you on the "inside" as it were? Was wondering (since the recruitment web advert mentions the fact that channel also offer cargo services) whether this indicated the intention to mix work from BFS between cargo and Jet2 pax services. This might explain the apparent lack of an aircraft overnighting in the published schedule??

'tis indeed intruiging (hmm is that spelt roight??) :confused:

Uncle Monty
11th Nov 2003, 00:29
Overnighting to kick in at the start of summer schedule

Optical Illyushin
11th Nov 2003, 00:51
FANTASTIC - Great Uncle Monty - you sound like a man who nose.... hehe. If you're "IN" as it were could you shed any light on conditions and the general mood either by a posting or via PM if you'd prefer.

14 loop
11th Nov 2003, 07:22
The news that Jet2 are recruiting BFS flight crew gives everyone the biggest clue yet where the next base will be and pours water on speculation about PIK and other places.

Some weeks ago bmi Chairman Michael Bishop commented that the airline market in certain areas of the UK was already saturated and pointed to Belfast as an example. He's got a point when it comes to the BFS/BHD to mainland Britain market with BA, bmi, EZY & Flybe carving it up. Where Belfast is underserved (and its probably the only untapped region left in the country) is on routes into mainland Europe including all the usual low-co destinations such as AGP, PMI etc. In theory BFS would play a nice complimentary role to LBA as base.

We of course wait for an official announcement.

carlos vandango
11th Nov 2003, 07:28
and the first off the starting blocks with spanish / european routes will probably clean up.

BELHold
11th Nov 2003, 17:14
They have also advertised to recruit local based cabin crew which would surely indicate the intention to base AC.

ALLMCC
11th Nov 2003, 20:13
Uncle Monty

Let's get the winter schedule over first then we will see IF there is a summer schedule!

Hogg
11th Nov 2003, 20:32
Me thinks there will be a busy summer sched.:cool: :cool:

Optical Illyushin
13th Nov 2003, 21:19
Hi Hogg - are you on the inside then?? Can anyone shed anymore light on this for me at all please? All postings/PM's gratefully received!!

Thanks so far anyhow guys

;)

cozy
21st Nov 2003, 17:22
just like to say what a great service,servisair do at belfast int airport.
for a few dollars more what a service you get.on time all the time.
well done and keep the good work up lads.:ok:

sorry easyjet i can,t say the same for you:{

Tower Ranger
21st Nov 2003, 23:36
For a few dollars more , did anyone else actually bid for that contract??
I guess it`s easy to get one plane away on time. Surely if Servisair offered such a good sevice they would not be in their present position at Bfs...........

Flightrider
22nd Nov 2003, 01:37
Perhaps Channel Express might be using a 737QC ex Belfast at night on one of the new postal contracts and then Jet2 using it during the day in pax config on some new services from BFS.

There are no night freight contracts to be had from LBA (too close to EMA for Royal Mail) and it could simply be planning to operate the Jet2 Leeds-Belfast schedule in reverse using a Belfast-based aircraft. It gets one more aircraft into the loop for a night contract without positioning and would also explain why the Belfast schedule hasn't gone on sale for Summer 2004 when most other routes have.

There were also some strange extra slot applications at Spanish airports for Summer 2004. They applied for an extra "Leeds" - Alicante on Fri + Sun (LS305/306) in addition to the core daily Leeds flight, an extra "Leeds" - Malaga on Wed (LS303/304) in addition to the core two daily Leeds flights and an extra "Leeds" - Palma on Tue/Thu/Sat (LS301/302) in addition to the existing daily.

Anyone care to place a bet that those extra Leeds flights (with flight numbers 3xx instead of 2xx) are actually going to be operated from Belfast in addition to the Leeds-Belfast service?

Hogg
22nd Nov 2003, 07:58
Naw Optical, not on the inside of Jet2s work. Just share the odd coffee with CHX crews in various pits in Europe. Sometimes a beer in Seamuss Irish Bar in downtown Koln.

Believe 2 or 3 more aircraft next Spring with a possible BFS base?? But who knows? ;)

Have to be positive in this unstable and politically messed up world. :suspect: :suspect:

nibor
22nd Nov 2003, 22:24
Hmm,
These extra slot requests using the 3xx flight no.s suggest 3 possibilities to me.

the flight no.s are just used for the initial application and would be changed if they were to be required ex LBA.

there is only one flight per day (with the exception of mon) this would fit in with a BFS based aircraft operating the LBA sectors with a european sector in the midday gap.
the mention of LBA in the routing being a hoax and would be changed as soon as the announcement is made.

a BFS based a/c operating a transit flight through LBA.
the least likely but still a possibility.
the fact that servisair handle them in BFS and LBA would make a transit flight easier to organize than with two different handling agents.

GOOD LUCK TO THEM ANYWAY.

Smokie
2nd Dec 2003, 06:41
Carlos,

Looks like Flybe will be caught with their trousers down again.
Why the infatuation with BRS & EXT to "You Rope"?

The BHD/BFS market is gaggin for it.

First past the Post Wins, & it looks like Jet 2 could be the Prize guys and Flybe the "Slow Walkers".

Just pass me another Betel Nut.