PDA

View Full Version : BT + AOL + Broadband

pilot_will
10th Nov 2003, 21:49
Hi, I have recently looked into getting Broadband for my home PC. I have requested to check that im in the area (quite a big housing area in Bristol) and aparently im not :( . It says that im too far away from my nearist telephone exchange, im sure there was one nearer than the one im on. Just wondering is there any way that I can get broadband somehow? Or will I have to wait for BT to upgrade the exchange? :( I know a friend that has Broadband and that lives 2 mins away from me.

Timothy
11th Nov 2003, 00:57
First thing to check is Cable TV...they usually offer a Broadband service at a similar price and speed to ADSL.

Failing that the other option is satellite, which isn't as expensive as it sounds, but nor is it as cheap as ADSL. Also the up channel is by modem, so you have to pay for that as well, and it's only at modem speeds.

W

mono
11th Nov 2003, 18:24
I live in Bristol and have broadband with Telewest, which is the local cable tv company.

I pay about £25 for the .5 Mbps service. They also have a 1 and 2 meg service at about an extra tenner each time.

I'm pretty sure Telewest are available throughout the BS area but a check on their web site will verify as they have an engine which checks postcode against availablity.

It is worth the change, the download time is very fast and my partner (Flemish) can now listen to her favorite radio stations while she surfs.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
11th Nov 2003, 20:01
Check here to see if it available

telewest (http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/getservice/getservice.htm)

pilot_will
12th Nov 2003, 08:36
Hi,

thanks alot for the replys

"The postcode you have entered is outside the Telewest Broadband
cabled area. Unfortunately, this means it is not possible to offer
you any of our services at present.

If you would like to investigate this further please call us
on 0800 953 5383.

Our Sales department is open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday
and from 9am to 5pm on Saturday.

You may be in an area serviced by NTL. You can contact NTL directly
via their website."

My mum phoned BT up today seeing as we are on a telephone exchange that is miles away and there is a exchange for the area we are on, but were not on it :confused: .

So she was asking if it is possible to change exchanges, aparently it isn't :( .