PDA

View Full Version : How do I repair plastic sidewall panels

Bomber Harris
12th Jan 2002, 06:04
I have my own single for hacking around in. I want to tart up the cabin a bit so looking for advice. There are lots of cracks and bits broken off in the plastic panels on the sidewalls and ceilings. Typical Cessna cheap ****te. Anybody know any good methods for repir and good quality paints I can use.

Also any tips on seat recovering or carpets appreciated.

I guess it's not your usual high tech question for this forum.....but the answer is of real value to me.

GotTheTshirt
12th Jan 2002, 07:52
Bomber,
yes the cheap Cessna ***** is a plastic which is not easy to repair and even if you suceeded it getting it adhesed (with a backing plate!) it looks just as bad.
Get a copy of Trade-a-plane and there are several companies making approved trim panels at a very reasonable price.

john_tullamarine
12th Jan 2002, 10:30
(a) trim ... new mouldings is about all you can do unfortunately. Only cost feasible if you source from someone already making the correct panel due to costs associated with developing moulds etc.

(b) seat trim and carpets. Apart from the certification for completion of maintenance issues, the main concern is to look at burn characteristics. Having done many, many burn tests over the years, I would avoid just about any run of the mill commercial fabric and typical FAR 23 qualifying materials like the plague and stick with self extinguishing FAR 25 style materials.

For foams, use a good fire retardent product.

For fabrics, the PFZ process done during weaving is excellent. There are several post weave fire-retardent processes which work varyingly well but you need to be careful of deterioration during washing/dry cleaning. Some processes perform better than others from this viewpoint .. and some are dreadful.

If you are local/near Oz, send me an email and I can suggest some contacts.

Droopy
12th Jan 2002, 22:02
If you're UK based I can give you contacts for fabric and seat cushion manufacturing.

Bomber Harris
13th Jan 2002, 20:20
Great stuff guys.....
TSHIRT..... I subscribe to trade-a-plane online and I didn't see anything there but now that u mention it, I seem to remember seeing adds like that in the last hard copy I saw. If you, or anybody else reading, has a copy to hand can they give me a couple of numbers or e-mail addresses.

JOHN..... I'm not Oz based. Good info on material specs. I do agree and will keep in mind.

DROOPY.... I am UK based. Would appreciate any contacts you can give me.

I was surfing the net and found a load of manufacturers dooing all sorts of plastic repair kits claiming to have all sorts of flexibility (and you get a free bottle if you purchase within the next 10 minutes!!!!!). I would of thought there would be something out there to repair plastic. However, I think I need to look at a replacement set seriously.

Thanks.....Bomber

Professional Cynic
13th Jan 2002, 20:34
Bomber- Got the same problem with a C150 if you find a contact for the replacement panels at a reasonable price could you please forward it on to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

PC.

Droopy
14th Jan 2002, 03:45
For seat material we have used Premier Contract Fabrics of Peebles EH45 8ER tel 01721 724310. They are a major supplier of fully certified/burn tested fabrics. Although potentially expensive, as long as you don't mind the colour you might get an off-cut; I assume you don't need more than 2 seats' worth. For cushions we have used Airline Services of Manchester 0161 489 3173, again a big firm but may be able to put you onto a foam supplier. No contacts for panels I'm afraid.